Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As a manager that has run speed builds, offensive wars that speed builds and even power rages struggle against most are those that are able to withstand the initial onslaught well enough to drag the speed build into the deep waters of later rounds and return fire. Ideally this would entail much of what Pit Lord has described (Create Distance, Fully Heavy, Full War Tree, etc.). At the moment glads like Erupt, Hubba, and even my war pirate (med armor with some block rank) have sufficient defense to do this quite regularly while having much less defense than the defensive ideal; HOWEVER the wars that I described are able to attack more than 2-H builds ending the match faster and therefore don't need to defend for as long as a 2H would.

In order for the 2-H to be more viable, it must either a) attack more or b) defend better or both. The most successful 2-H'er rage at the moment, Lord Brutish, does both (kudos Oedi). Lord Brutish attacks 3x per round while defending better than any other rage in the pits with large block rank, armor movement and heavy scarring. I think this is a roadmap for a more successful 2Her. However, wars cannot match the attack rate of a rage and cannot match the damage output either (especially if they drop the rage skills for full war).

People have been focusing on the damage aspect and following in the footsteps of The Returned by making their 2H wars rage hybrids (but with adrenaline rush). Adrenaline rush is NOT a substitute for adequate defense especially since a 2Her must survive longer than a A&M to return fire. Packing on more of the defensive options that BG gear has to offer could result in a 011 style war (huge block rank, heavy armor, create distance, extra armor rank, etc) that can mitigate most of the damage for long enough to return fire with a defense piercing 2Her.

I would argue against wholesale buffs to wars (someone suggested a pretty wild buff to iron jaw in another thread) since it is mainly a problem with 2-H'ers (as of this writing 5 wars occupy the top 10, 2 war/rage hybrids, 1 polearm, 2 tanks). The weakness of 2Hers may be able to be addressed with the build and gear design changes proposed in this thread. If that is not sufficient, Nate may also want to consider adding buffs to the 2H weapon skill itself to address the inequities between the 2H and its more successful cousin the polearm.

*Note: I'm quite convinced that the length of knockdown on war glads is a class penalty. The number of times that my war has sat on the ground all match while having 21% encumbrance is pretty ridiculous. If this is true this class-based knockdown length penalty should be reduced or capped.
    Last edited by Sotc; 02-09-2014 at 06:59 AM.