Armor Penetration

Hey guys, just wondering what is the function of armor penetration (green trigger).

1. Does it mean it negated an armor deflection (or gave a chance of negating armor deflection)
    2. Does it mean the attack did extra damage aka ignored a portion of the foes' armor value?
    3. Does it have some other effect?

for explanation #1 I see it triggered regularly against rages/theatrics quite often; their armor tends not to deflect blows at that frequent a rate
    for explanation #2 I don't see much evidence of this since the numbers aren't noticeably higher on armor pen green triggers

Ive always asumed it took away the damage reduction from the armor when it triggered, but ive never done any research on it
    (Briteron_by), Theatrics, imperial guards, (subjects), MOTU

Manager since December 2010.

Like Oedi, I believe it's #1 but I don't see it often enough to make statistics.

It might also reduce the "blocking" defense bonus provided by the armor, which I suppose to be a different thing from the deflection effect.
    Team Bloody Tigers : Siam (Winner BG 13 and BG 21),Sonja Tigarion (#10 BG 22), Ty Rex (#5 BG 13 and BG 22), Slim Shadow, Master Puss