Fresh Meat

Conquest rewards

Are there some diminishing returns for the conquest?
    I started the game a few days ago, I liked to do a lot of conquest because it gave me rewards for all the fights. I don't recall fights without rewards.
    Now it's the norm, I'm lucky if I get a reward once every 4-5 fights.
    It's not based on the level because now I get the same thing with my second gladiator.

Either I was being very lucky in the beginning, or the game encourages you in the beginning and then the rewards diminish.

I like the game very much but it would benefit from some more beginner guides or a wiki.
    For example I know about HoL from the forum, but apart from one line in the game where it talks about HoL in general, I can't find anywhere the requirements for retirement. It should be the main point of the game to inform me that my first gladiator is just a means to a different end.

Thank you

The conquest rewards are random. Sometimes you'll make out big, sometimes you won't. They do scale with your level and the difficulty though.

As for retirement, if you click the retire button at the gladiator stable, overview tab, it will tell you what you need. Basically, you need to be level 50, with a minimum of 1000 fights with a 50% win ratio, which is on a sliding scale based on number of fights, and to have made it to the primus bracket.
    Stable: Stormcloak
    Current Glads: Lachdanan (human war), Ecthelion (human war), Kedro (rage elaar), Acheros (war elaar), Tsiroth (war elaar)
    HOL Retirees: Rauthreygo (human war), Farkas (rage elaar), Vilkus (theatrics elaar), Thalvric (war elaar), Gamling (war dunder), Kresjack (theatrics elaar), Percivus (war spite), Agravaine (war elaar)

Fresh Meat
    I have no retire button on that page. I clicked almost every button in the game and I haven't found the info about requirements for retiring (I do know them from the forum though)

Thank you

Here you see the requirements to retire gladiator:
    Must have reached the Primus bracket.
    Must be level 50 or higher.
    Must have 1000 total fights or more.
    Must have greater than a 50% win ratio.
    Not fighting in the Blood Games.
    — or —
    Must have reached the Blood Gods bracket.
    Not fighting in the Blood Games.

When your gladiator is 20-25 level the retire button will appear in your gladiator overview

The Retire button appears later, after a few hundred fights or after reaching certain bracket, not sure.

There are multiple beginner guides around and although some of them are fairly dated, they can help you grasp the basics. You will do well to follow the advices in them if you have no experience with the game and to stop following them once you feel comfortable with the performance of your fighter(s). I would advise to start improvising as soon as you get familiar with the basic mechanics (that might take a while, mind you). Not every build is successful in the current environment, not every skill brings only benefits, not every strategy is optimal against a certain set of opponents, etc., so you will have to find by yourself what works for you.

Fresh Meat
    Thanks, I got the basics thanks to the various guides, also thanks to Adoede who just released a new guide.

My problem was of that (crucial) information not being presented in the game (or at least not being easily accessible). Not everyone visits the forums.

As for the conquest, it was a bit frustrating, getting a lot of trophies and arena tokens in the beginning, and now almost nothing from my runs.

Also it's still in beta, but it's not very balanced yet for all the levels. At around level 20 it's almost impossible to complete it on Normal, not to mention higher difficulty, even with the very best random allies you get. It should at least reward those who have the time and knowledge to find a good group, and to be possible to complete it at any level.

By "the basics" I mean not only stuff like "don't bash with swords" but how to generally build a fighter so he/she can perform well on the arena against decently competent opponents - equipment, skills, strategy. Learning when to parry and when not to for example could be tricky at first, especially against experienced players. Reckless berserking with Rages might win you a few fights vs. newbies but once you encounter an experienced opponent, you will quickly find what are the downsides of that approach. Encumbrance management and endurance management are among the most important "basics" which you will probably need months to understand in details. Picking a weapon is something very "basic" but the pros and cons of arming your fighter with something light and fast but not very damaging vs. something slow and heavy but with a good punch are only discovered after a large number of fights, not to mention that certain weapons require a specific strategy set in order to be efficient. Then there are the races. And whatnot. Don't be quick to conclude that you've learned anything just yet, the game is much deeper than it seems initially.

For Conquests - the only difficulty on which you may not win every time is Nightmare. Everything below that is completely manageable if your fighter is built decently and the team is composed not just of seemingly good gladiators but of fighters who can work as a team. Bear in mind that the opponents in the sewers use different weapons and have different skills every time so what works flawlessly during one run may be nearly useless the next time. Try something like this: 1 fighter who can absorb damage - that's usually a War with a shield; 1 fighter who can deal damage - normally a Rage with a 2H weapon but other options are also OK; 1 fighter who does decently in both defence and offence without necessarily excelling in any of them - usually some Theatrics bleeder; the last one is for you to pick - you can try with extra offence or extra defence; and don't forget what YOUR gladiator can do and how he/she can assist the others.

Fresh Meat
    Thanks Kreegan, I'm looking forward to learning more once I get there. Right now I'm still in noob territory, I just made it to 10 weapon skill.

For conquest yes, I try to compose a team exactly as you said, with a tank, damage dealers and so on. Problem is right at level 20 is the gap where people don't have the skills yet(if you focused on weapon skill, you only got that) and don't have the relevant fight strategies unlocked yet (like Tanking).
    The game should keep track of how many players manage to complete the conquest at various levels on various difficulties and adjust according to that. I like the fact that the difficulty scales, but I wish it would scale in such a way that it doesn't make it impossible for anyone to complete it. Make it so the people who are taking the time to build a good team will have a good chance of completing it.

Maybe it would work if I had friends playing the game, but as it is I'm only teaming up with random people, it would be nice if I could complete the dungeon that way.

Thank you

Hey Rautz, you're not imagining things. Arena tokens and trophy prizes for conquest battles definitely have a daily limit, so spamming conquests does have a rate of diminishing returns. Also, I typically wait for my glads to reach level 50 before beginning to run them through the gauntlets. Like you've noticed, it is just too difficult and time-wasting to try before then. At level 50, all of the top glads in the game are available to you as allies - makes the normal and hard levels a breeze and gives you a fighting chance in the nightmare level. Personally, I think the new extended recovery times between battles in conquests has made it too time-consuming to be worthwhile - especially with the random prizes if you manage to win (90% of prizes are worthless to your build strategy and end up being sold anyway). Better to just zoom your way into blood gods and take a few months of losing while you slowly gear up with legendary gear that you custom-select for your glad.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Fresh Meat
    Thank you, I did notice that after today's daily reset the rewards were again a bit better.
    Well the random arena tokens here and there from conquest do help towards gaining levels/advancing to higher tiers and it also helps that I have all the memberships for 3-4 weeks.
    So far it's a nice game.

Thank you for all the guides I wish there were even more from experienced players.