Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How To Build A Rage Gladiator- A Guide

Last updated: 30th Jan 2013

There are essentially 3 main types of rage gladiators, predominantly defined by their weapon.

-2H rage doesnt attack as often, but lands some pretty huge critical hits with their 2-handed weapons.
    -DW Speed rage attacks a lot with blades but they get less damage per hit.
    -DW Power rage attack with axes and maces and are in between the other 2 styles.

Your base stats are pretty important. I would aim for the following.

2H rage

Strength >85 - responsible for damage and boosting most attack skills
    Chi >75 - responsible for making your crits bigger and boosts most attack skills
    Size >75 - responsible for giving you health. more is better. funny that :P

DW Power Rage

Strength >85 - responsible for damage and boosting most attack skills
    Chi >75 - responsible for making your crits bigger and boosts most attack skills

DW Speed Rage

Agility >85 - responsible for attacking lots and damage
    Strength or Chi >75 - Needed for most rage skills

having your other stats above 70 is a plus, but if not, at least make sure most of them are over 65.

now on to skills:

Tier 1:

Weapon Skill - Having a good weapon skill is key to fumbling it less and connecting with your opponent. 2H rage obviously takes 2 handed weapons. DW speed rage should go with swords and blades as those weapons are dependent on agility, and DW power rage should go with hammers and axes as those are strength based.

Barreling Attack - Knocks your opponent to the ground. This puts them further back in initiative order which is always a good thing. It does no damage however and doesnt always work. I'd avoid it.

Devastating Power - Passively boosts damage when you crit. I'm starting to become a big fan of this skill for 2H styles but the issue will be "what skill do I go without so I can have this?"

Tier 2:

Sunder Armor - activated attack that deals damage and reduces your opponent's armor on that spot. The latter means you can do more damage the next time you hit that spot.

Blood Drunk - bonus to offensive power which means a better change of getting crits.

Brute Force - passively reduces your opponent's defensive power, meaning it's easier to get good hits on them. It becomes very important at higher levels when warriors are carrying ridiculously heavy armor.

Tier 3:

Armor Agility - reduces initiative penalty your armor gives you and gives you a slightly better chance of deflecting your opponent's hits. It's pretty damn handy, especially for DW gladiators.

Rampage - activated attack that does some massive damage. A must for any rage style.

Adrenalin Rush - An activated attack that deals a little bit of damage and gives you ~60% damage resistance when the skill is maxed out. it's borderline OP. You know you want it

Tier 4:

Crippling Might - Activated attack that cannot be deflected/redirected by your opponent's defensive skills. The damage isnt crazy, but tt's kinda nice when it means your opponent has a wasted skill trigger from time to time.

Heavy Scarring - Passive boost to your gladiator's armor. I like it because it is passive, but it isn't a must

Annihilate - passive boost to your damage against gladiators using a tank or parry strategy at the time. At the very top of the game it's been the difference between beating a defensive gladiator or getting thumped. Overall, it seems pretty necessary in the current metagame.

Tier 5:

Total Carnage - Passively boosts your damage and when maxed out, the skill lets you get more attacks. This is now my favourite skill. A must for just about any rage IMO. Be warned that TC requires total commitment to the rage tree however as you cannot unlock it until you have 85 skill trains in rage already.

so, there's a quick overview on the skills. regardless of build, there are a few key skills:

Weapon Skill
    Brute Force
    Rampage
    Adrenalin Rush

so, there's a quick summary on the rage skills. The next post is my proposed build path for a pure rage gladiator
    Last edited by Apoca1ypse; 03-30-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!