Feedback from a New Player

So I realize that with the lack of recent updates, this game is likely dead... but on the off chance it's not, I would like to say that after several weeks of really enjoying the game (and putting in $10 to support it before realizing it doesn't seem to be under active development anymore), I hit a point where it became obvious (or at least seemingly so) that the game is completely pay-to-win at the higher levels. While a great deal of the stable upgrades are trophy-locked and provide significant bonuses, they're at least theoretically unlockable with enough time, and don't provide too vast of advantages over free-to-play players. However, I just recently unlocked my third achievement slot on one of my glads only to see that it's trophy-locked. At two-week increments, and three more (presumably increasing in expense) slots to go... that's a massive pay-to-win advantage that no free-to-play players could ever dream of attaining unless there's some late game trophy generation that happens that I just haven't reached yet. Anyway, it immediately sapped any interest I have in continuing to play, since while I was happy to throw a little money here and there to support a game I like, I definitely don't have enough for recurring fees like that, especially when I know they're giving me a totally unfair advantage over less privileged players who can't afford it. Which is disappointing, as hitherto I was truly digging this game as one of the only multiplayer gladiator themed games I could find.

I'd maybe suggest a one time trophy fee to initially "open" each slot on a particular glad (in addition to the level barriers), so that free-to-play folk (or lower payment players like myself) could reasonably save up to do so on their favorite glads. Once a slot is unlocked, gold can be spent as usual to extend its time. Or trophies can be used to perma-unlock a slot, with gold just extending incrementally as it is now. Something to even the playing field for players who can't afford endless recurring fees to stay competitive.

Also, there should be an "are you sure?" button on some of the pay 50 trophy to do things buttons, 'cause I fat fingered that a bunch of times playing on my phone, draining all my saved trophies. I also fat fingered a bunch of training points into the wrong categories too and had to pay to undo them which felt bad as well (still have at least one or two errant points that need to be cleared as I save up more trophies, haha). I recognize that this was probably made before mobile gaming was big, but if it's not going to be adapted to be friendly to the mobile market at least add in some precautions to make it easier/cheaper to screw up when using a phone.

Edit: For additional revenue, I'd suggest instead of pay-to-win mechanics, implementing cosmetics. Different unlockable gladiator profile pictures, titles, victory pictures, etc. that are all trophy locked. Anyhow, best of luck!
    Last edited by LakiRed; 03-20-2019 at 08:37 PM.

Hey!

As a player who has been playing this game for quite some time, I definitely agree with most of what you're saying. However, I would not say it's entirely pay-to-win as it is "pay to progress faster". By using trophies you can gain more fights per day, more training points per fight etc. and get the end bracket of Blood Gods or to your gladiator's retirement a lot faster and a lot easier (albeit you still need proper gladiator strategies and management for this).

If you're having fun, I would suggest to try and keep playing as you will still be able to progress. The achievement slots shouldn't discourage you too much I think... all of my top glads are still only using the base 2 If you decide to stay and have any questions feel free to let me know in-game.

Cheers!
    Stable: Blood Bathed | Blood Bathedtwo

Quote Originally Posted by LakiRed View Post
    So I realize that with the lack of recent updates, this game is likely dead... but on the off chance it's not, I would like to say that after several weeks of really enjoying the game (and putting in $10 to support it before realizing it doesn't seem to be under active development anymore), I hit a point where it became obvious (or at least seemingly so) that the game is completely pay-to-win at the higher levels. While a great deal of the stable upgrades are trophy-locked and provide significant bonuses, they're at least theoretically unlockable with enough time, and don't provide too vast of advantages over free-to-play players. However, I just recently unlocked my third achievement slot on one of my glads only to see that it's trophy-locked. At two-week increments, and three more (presumably increasing in expense) slots to go... that's a massive pay-to-win advantage that no free-to-play players could ever dream of attaining unless there's some late game trophy generation that happens that I just haven't reached yet. Anyway, it immediately sapped any interest I have in continuing to play, since while I was happy to throw a little money here and there to support a game I like, I definitely don't have enough for recurring fees like that, especially when I know they're giving me a totally unfair advantage over less privileged players who can't afford it. Which is disappointing, as hitherto I was truly digging this game as one of the only multiplayer gladiator themed games I could find.

I'd maybe suggest a one time trophy fee to initially "open" each slot on a particular glad (in addition to the level barriers), so that free-to-play folk (or lower payment players like myself) could reasonably save up to do so on their favorite glads. Once a slot is unlocked, gold can be spent as usual to extend its time. Or trophies can be used to perma-unlock a slot, with gold just extending incrementally as it is now. Something to even the playing field for players who can't afford endless recurring fees to stay competitive.

Also, there should be an "are you sure?" button on some of the pay 50 trophy to do things buttons, 'cause I fat fingered that a bunch of times playing on my phone, draining all my saved trophies. I also fat fingered a bunch of training points into the wrong categories too and had to pay to undo them which felt bad as well (still have at least one or two errant points that need to be cleared as I save up more trophies, haha). I recognize that this was probably made before mobile gaming was big, but if it's not going to be adapted to be friendly to the mobile market at least add in some precautions to make it easier/cheaper to screw up when using a phone.

Edit: For additional revenue, I'd suggest instead of pay-to-win mechanics, implementing cosmetics. Different unlockable gladiator profile pictures, titles, victory pictures, etc. that are all trophy locked. Anyhow, best of luck!
    Thanks for the feedback LakiRed, and I appreciate you taking the time to write down your feedback. You have some good ideas in there. I'll think about how feasible some of them are and see what I can do to help improve the game.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Well, pay to lvl faster is true. Everyone does it at some point to boost his new glad. But there is no pay to win! 4 extra slots are a big advantage, but without the right strategy there is no win. I never touched the extra achivment slots in the endgame and stil can keep up with those "pay to win" guys. Anything goes in the lower brackets, but in the endgame you cant just overwhelm anyone with potentially 40 extra stat points. There are some glads in the top 20 BG with purple equipment.... the advantage is only true on paper or until you can load your slots with all the "Blood Games" achivments (which no one has)

Somehow "bloodgods" and the rest of the brackets are totally different.

Like Bloodbath said, its just "pay to progress faster".