Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Feedback from a New Player

So I realize that with the lack of recent updates, this game is likely dead... but on the off chance it's not, I would like to say that after several weeks of really enjoying the game (and putting in $10 to support it before realizing it doesn't seem to be under active development anymore), I hit a point where it became obvious (or at least seemingly so) that the game is completely pay-to-win at the higher levels. While a great deal of the stable upgrades are trophy-locked and provide significant bonuses, they're at least theoretically unlockable with enough time, and don't provide too vast of advantages over free-to-play players. However, I just recently unlocked my third achievement slot on one of my glads only to see that it's trophy-locked. At two-week increments, and three more (presumably increasing in expense) slots to go... that's a massive pay-to-win advantage that no free-to-play players could ever dream of attaining unless there's some late game trophy generation that happens that I just haven't reached yet. Anyway, it immediately sapped any interest I have in continuing to play, since while I was happy to throw a little money here and there to support a game I like, I definitely don't have enough for recurring fees like that, especially when I know they're giving me a totally unfair advantage over less privileged players who can't afford it. Which is disappointing, as hitherto I was truly digging this game as one of the only multiplayer gladiator themed games I could find.

I'd maybe suggest a one time trophy fee to initially "open" each slot on a particular glad (in addition to the level barriers), so that free-to-play folk (or lower payment players like myself) could reasonably save up to do so on their favorite glads. Once a slot is unlocked, gold can be spent as usual to extend its time. Or trophies can be used to perma-unlock a slot, with gold just extending incrementally as it is now. Something to even the playing field for players who can't afford endless recurring fees to stay competitive.

Also, there should be an "are you sure?" button on some of the pay 50 trophy to do things buttons, 'cause I fat fingered that a bunch of times playing on my phone, draining all my saved trophies. I also fat fingered a bunch of training points into the wrong categories too and had to pay to undo them which felt bad as well (still have at least one or two errant points that need to be cleared as I save up more trophies, haha). I recognize that this was probably made before mobile gaming was big, but if it's not going to be adapted to be friendly to the mobile market at least add in some precautions to make it easier/cheaper to screw up when using a phone.

Edit: For additional revenue, I'd suggest instead of pay-to-win mechanics, implementing cosmetics. Different unlockable gladiator profile pictures, titles, victory pictures, etc. that are all trophy locked. Anyhow, best of luck!
    Last edited by LakiRed; 03-20-2019 at 08:37 PM.