Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flurry of Steel

P.S.
    Even Your Dual Strike ability on Fatalii (or FatalII? , for correctness) may have a side effect: For what he's trying to do damage, while his goal is Endurance? It's happy thing -- it works... Today.
    Last edited by weaw; 05-23-2017 at 07:59 AM.

There are few slayer remaining in BG after the update, which buffed shadows or the howl shadow&myth school. And like the old pre update shadows with full equipment in BG, they lack something and i dont talk about new HoL glads with buffed stats. (Fatalii has slightly above average stats for a new HoL glad, was a bit over 1100 gold)

Most "old" shadows and slayers are not managed frequent enough or are just abandoned, it seems they do what they did months ago without any change.

Shadows sneaked silently into the upper ranks (far from solid top 3 ranks, but stil top 10 worthy) and there is stil no half decent equiped new slayer.

Long story short there are some unknown changes to the "shadow&myst" school ready to be discovered.

P.S.
    I build him as a hybrid, no direct goal towards endurance drain. From time to time he wins the "honorable" way, but most are indeed exhaust wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphexii View Post
    Long story short ;) there are some unknown changes to the "shadow&myst" school ready to be discovered.
    Yeah, exactly.

P.S. I mean not only what i say exactly, You know: Fatalii loses some fights, tyring to do damage... ;)
    Last edited by weaw; 05-23-2017 at 08:57 AM.

So, let's look at the Wars. They have one offensive skill -- Death From Above, and one (the best) defensive -- Create Distance. You need then switch between Tank/Parry or Parry/"Bash" in order to allow a good work of these skills.
    But that's what makes Wars so fun to play with - you need to set up a flexible strategy (which admittedly is harder now with the wider variety of available builds) but if you do it properly, they can handle pretty much anything. With the Slayer you get a Rage with better armour and worse offense and one way or another you'll come down to the 2-3 lines strategy typical for the Waaaaagh!!! builds. Not my cup of tea but somebody may like it enough to have the patience to find a way to control all these activated skills and ultimately produce a competitive gladiator.

In my opinion, the only way to build a slayer is hybrid/shadow with the 3 passive shadow skills. As discussed, flurry of steel sucks, and I also tried the other one for heavy armor usage. This also sucks, because advantage of a slayer is the speed of attacks, and you could only get 1 or 2 pieces of heavy armor anyway before going over 50% encumbrance. Disarm and sweep are hardly reliable, and if you avoid weak spot to take first strike, you can get only 3 activeated off skills: eviscerate, blood bath and vital strike, all of which have pretty nice effects. Snivler exotics or blades make the best slayers because of the bleed bonus. Even if fight only lasted few rounds, if you get blood bath in first round that's 500+ bleed dmg per round.
    I never tried 2H slayer because you want to get the most attacks in as possible to try and get blood bath going. So a speed build is necessary for this, and, as weaw says, there are no def. skills available. Anyway, it's working for me as I was 26-29 in only my first full bg season. Not great, but not awful either.
    Last edited by Just J; 05-24-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Stable: JvM \^,^/
    .loord uoy ,elur I

Quote Originally Posted by Kreegan View Post
    But that's what makes Wars so fun to play with ...
    No doubts!

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    In my opinion, the only way to build a slayer is hybrid/rage with the 3 passive rage skills.
    It's impossible because of different schools. Or i'm wrong?

By the way. Shadow&Myst school has a strange architecture which makes hard to use it for hybrids: we need take at least one offensive acivate to deep into Slayer's or Trixter's branch.
    For comparison, all the branches of the Arms&Armour school contains very useful passives in 1st tier which can be used by any build, almost any...
    There is the opinion that Grim Determination is the best skill in the game, for example. It's hard to say something like that about Sweep or about Shank...
    // Note also, the Grim Determination is not something "overpowered", but just very good and unique...
    Last edited by weaw; 05-24-2017 at 01:25 AM.

oops i meant hybrid slayer/shadow

Stable: JvM \^,^/
    .loord uoy ,elur I

Slave
    Not only are top slayers of necessity hybrids, but in all reality they are incredibly one dimensional slayer/shadow hybrids like Just J and Weaw said. Sure, someone could do a slayer/trixter hybrid...but to what avail? A manager would have to go through at least 3 activated skills on the trixter tree to gain access to an activated defensive skill, thus furthering the "too many activated offensive skills" problem.

I'm no slayer expert (or game expert for that matter, this is my first ever post), but slayers are extremely limited, and flurry of steel at this point deserves consideration as one of the worst tier 5 skills in the game. As many others have pointed out...the game is under constant development and Nate is constantly tweaking things (as evidenced by shadow dance now being a viable fight strategy for shadow glads), but I'm not confident that diversifying slayer glads from the hybrid builds they currently seem to be pigeon-holed into will be an easy task at all.

The Shadow and Mist school definitely does not allow for the same level of gladiator customization as Arms and Armour, but I'm sure that eventually someone will come along and figure out a killer new trixter build....maybe.
    Last edited by Tyrst; 05-30-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Well after first hand experience with "flurry of steel", lets see what we got.
    That skill, like some smart guys before me have written, gives you some bonus attacks and prevents any attack and defensive skills during the flurry. Faster weapons have mostly 2 extra attacks after the trigger. Slower weapons only 1 bonus attack. All bonus attacks are counted with 8-10 activity, lower activity results in less or even ZERO bonus attacks.
    Bonus attacks dont count toward your attack limit each round, they are literally bonus attacks (they can trigger skills) on top of your normal ones.

It kinda sounds very promising.

-Pros
    -free attacks without any way to interfere (besides armor deflection, never saw a bonus attack miss yet) ! Update ! bonus attacks can miss !
    -very good as a pseudo 2h rage 1shot kill build with a heavy weapon
    -very good in dumping all your skill in one go without the infamous unpredictable skill overload (why predict a certain skill, if you just trigger all of them in one go :O )

-Cons
    -if "flurry of steel" misses or is somehow blocked/parried/dodged.....you look kinda stupid
    -only useful as a first attack/second attack in the round
    -weak damage without any additional triggered skills
    -due to the infamous unpredictable skill overload, hard to always trigger it first

My guess for a successful 0/100/0 slayer build

2h hail mary build; "first strike" trigger into "flurry of steel" --> "eviscerate"
    1h max speed chaos build; you dont really need defensive skills if you cripple your opponent with every negative effect the game has to offer (maybe stack some "crit" armor skill)
    2h agi build; "first strike" trigger into "flurry of steel" --> "eviscerate" --> "weak spot"

I will test the 2h agi build with selected skills.
    You dont have to use 4 activated skills if you just dont take them :O , just skill "pole arms", "2h weapons" and maybe a third weapon skill and avoid weaker skills. I know some will cough at this, but I did it more than one time and never had any issues with performance. The goal is to have only "eviscerate", "weak spot", "flurry of steel" and "sweep" for a bit of random luck to stall the fight until flurry is up again.

All data is a rough observation and may be not 100% accurate, feel free to crush my hopes with real data
    Last edited by Aphexii; 12-29-2020 at 09:10 AM.

! Proof of Concept !
    Thats what Im looking for in a nutshell. Lucky fight, but imagine it with a full orange beast vs some cloth glad.

The Enforcer smiles at the crowd as they begin a 'blood' chant!
    R O U N D 1
    >> VISHTHEKILLER SWITCHES TO STRATEGY 1
    >> MOJITO SWITCHES TO STRATEGY 1
    MOJITO pelts right at his opponent.
    MOJITO makes an executioner style strike with his bloody WYRMWOOD WAR STAFF.
    MOJITO unleashes a cyclone of death! (-Flurry of Steel-)
    Monsterous shot creates an explosion of blood, bone, and loud screams! (+332 Damage)

MOJITO bounces and springs around the arena.
    MOJITO seeks to pulverize VISHTHEKILLER.
    MOJITO makes a vicious attack! (-Eviscerate-)
    With a devastating blast VISHTHEKILLER is knocked back several feet from the massive blow to the chest! (+862 Damage)

VISHTHEKILLER tries to give up!!!
    MOJITO moves with unbridled energy.
    MOJITO whirls his WYRMWOOD WAR STAFF at VISHTHEKILLER with awesome might.
    MOJITO tries to knock VISHTHEKILLER's legs out from underneath him! (-Sweep-)
    Resisted Knock Down Effect!
    Screaming in agony VISHTHEKILLER's skull is smashed open rewarding the crowd with a shower of bone and brains! (+322 Damage)

VISHTHEKILLER cringes as his weapon drops to the ground after the strike!
    MOJITO grabs a handful of the remains of the gladiator who was once VISHTHEKILLER!

The crowd stomps their feet and claps their hands as the victor leaves the arena!
    The fight lasted 5 seconds!