Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Flurry of Steel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Stable Servant Aphexii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    43

    Flurry of Steel

    Hi guys,

    was toying around with Slayers lately and ended up with only hybrid builds. As the majority in the forum dislikes pure Slayer builds (0/100/0) and me too for one reason, to many activated abilities. I never had a Slayer with "Flurry of Steel" and only few use that skill in BG's and only with fast 1H weapons. I don't know what that skill does, all i observed was weak damage and a 2 turn cooldown (every 3th turn activation). The damage is to weak for a final skill and and the frequency is to low for that damage output.

    The only information in the forum i found was a short mention from Kreegan that "Flurry of Steel" gives you some additional attacks/attack power? There was a huge drop in Slayer population after the trixster update earlier this year. There are only 1 or 2 currently in BG's that use it, but don't last long enough for propper observation.

    Can anyone tell me what exactly this skill does, or what the idea behind it is? I don't think there are any bad final skill in this game, even "Down and Dangerous" is viable, at least in my opinion. (have one fresh war in BG's with it and eager to test it in the endgame)

    Maybe it has a true purpose other than damage like "Shank", it does low damage even with 2H weapons but it's main purpose is to create injuries.
    Maybe consecutiv use of "Flurry..." does stack something?

  2. #2
    Pit Master Dainoji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,182
    In my experience it prevents your opponent from using defensive skills while the flurry of attacks is underway. Useful against defensive glads, not as useful against offensive glads.
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

  3. #3
    Veteran Master weaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainoji View Post
    In my experience it prevents your opponent from using defensive skills while the flurry of attacks is underway.
    Something like that in my experience too.

    Some thoghts:
    One of the worst skills in the game. It doing [about] nothing (Because Blood Bath do more vs defensives, much more).
    Last edited by weaw; 05-22-2017 at 01:57 PM.

  4. #4
    Veteran Master weaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphexii View Post
    I don't think there are any bad final skill in this game, even "Down and Dangerous" is viable, at least in my opinion.
    Think, You are wrong. But You have a space for experiments. Let's see!

  5. #5
    Pit Master Dainoji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,182
    Some thoghts:
    One of the worst skills in the game. It doing [about] nothing (Because Blood Bath do more vs defensives, much more).
    I disagree. This isn't a one or the other sort of discussion. Training Blood Bath doesn't preclude you from also taking Flurry of Steel. One can also make the argument that Blood Bath isn't that useful against offensive glads since those fights rarely last more than a round or two making Blood Bath fairly ineffectual. The usefulness or uselessness of a skill varies on a glad's build. Some builds will benefit more from certain skills and less from others.

    I'm of the opinion that managers have just scratched the surface of the new school. There were a number of complaints on the boards regarding Shadow glads being weak, and now I see two in the top 10 of BG because someone decided to put some effort into creating competitive ones. I suspect Slayers are in the same boat. Time will tell.
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

  6. #6
    Veteran Master weaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainoji View Post
    There were a number of complaints on the boards regarding Shadow glads being weak, and now I see two in the top 10 of BG because someone decided to put some effort into creating competitive ones. I suspect Slayers are in the same boat.
    But i suspect the game is changing. Now i have a plan to eat "everyone" (including these two) using Shadow. But it's not equal to eat them a few years ago...
    Same skills. Same illusions.
    Last edited by weaw; 05-22-2017 at 03:25 PM.

  7. #7
    Elite Master Kreegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainoji View Post
    I'm of the opinion that managers have just scratched the surface of the new school. There were a number of complaints on the boards regarding Shadow glads being weak, and now I see two in the top 10 of BG because someone decided to put some effort into creating competitive ones. I suspect Slayers are in the same boat. Time will tell.
    Shadows got a buff at some point and Shadow Dance actually started working - before that it was just a mean to get the two high tier activated defensive skills trigger more often. Usually such big shifts on some build's efficiency have more to do with Nate's stealth updates than with some manager's sudden stroke of genius. Let's not forget that all Shadows in BG are also HoL Mk2 slaves.
    As for Flurry of Steel - its problem is that it sits at the top of the Slayer tree so you need to take at least 4 activated skills to get it. Which means that your gladiator will act in a pseudo-random fashion way too often. Personally I don't like having no control over what the gladiator does and usually that's what you get with 100/100 Slayers.
    Last edited by Kreegan; 05-23-2017 at 12:46 AM.

  8. #8
    Stable Servant Aphexii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    43
    Thanks for the answers!

    May i ask if someone used the skill with a dualwield build or maybe a 2h build? It kinda sounds usefull vs trixsters, at least on paper

    I agree with Dainoji, there is hidden potential. The low supply of indepth information in regards of shadow/Slayer builds/skills is somewhat to blame for less developed glads of that kind.
    Never saw a "guide" for them...and here are some really gifted writers on this forum with huge pools of knowledge. (and a sense for well placed humor)

  9. #9
    Veteran Master weaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphexii View Post
    May i ask if someone used the skill with a dualwield build or maybe a 2h build?
    It seems, good Slayers [if they are exists] are "one shot, one kill" builds. It means the heviest dual or twohanded. The results -- You can't "control" more than 2 offensives. In my opinion.
    Hidden potential... Yes, some skills have it. Nate is "right" man. But we can't use this potential before BG "environment" changed. So, this potential so abstract...

  10. #10
    Veteran Master weaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    325
    About activates "controlling".
    The good point to observe it is the way to watch the best Wars fights. While You're War (half-defensive, there is no BG-point today to build a pure tank), You need to switch attack/defense.
    It's hard. Really. Because the best builds use one-row-strategy, or something like that -- the game will punish for "random" switch to second [,third etc] strategy row. It may punish even for "correct" switches...
    So, let's look at the Wars. They have one offensive skill -- Death From Above, and one (the best) defensive -- Create Distance. You need then switch between Tank/Parry or Parry/"Bash" in order to allow a good work of these skills.

    The Slayers strategies are extremaly "hard". Because they has no choice: You need a hard hit or You will die.
    (Your sentence about "... to many activated abilities ..." is only half of diagnosis: Slayers hasn't an effective defensives at all! Slayer must be offensive, more even than Rages. Slayer will die whithout First Strike, for example -- i think).

    So, let's think. You need [really] few offensives while You're a Slayer and You wish reach that Flurry. This is impossible...

    Sometimes its possible to use some skill's rank to control the activates usage frequency. For example, my Eirikr has only 2 points in the Signature Movies and only 3 in the Feint. It's enought, at least it enought to have exactly what i need.
    But You can't use this method on 5th tiers skill. Especially for Slayers. Because You'll lose ability to move in the other Sadows&Myst skills.

    Good Slayer today ("today", -- the word for You, Dainoji) and if a good Slayer exists -- exactly hybrid.
    Last edited by weaw; 05-23-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •