Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard.

Hard.

I don't know where to post this.

Why is this game so hard?
    I have no idea how to play this game. At all. Not even a tiny bit.
    How the strategies work, how gear and weapons work, how all of the ingame things work??

I get Surprise Ending activate sometimes 2-3 times in a single match, and sometimes it doesn't go off for days...
    Just a while back, I changed from low level weapon(about 240dps) to high epic one(about 440dps) and not a single digit raised in actual damage. Everything is the same..
    Those strategies, I'll probably never understand.

I am just so sad that I try at this, and I spent a lot of time(you know, just to check in daily, etc) and I have nothing to show for it.
    I know all about that self pity nonsense, but can someone please give me some tips on how to actually do good? (dont worry, I read all possible guides)

Thanks.
    Holosts Stable.
    And best gladiator so far;
    Bayorn (dunder theatrics)
    Kicking ass in Blood Gods 2 levels behind and undergeared.

Noticeable Retired Glads;
    Kuljem (human theatrics)

Hi Kuljem. We need more information to be able to help.

What are you finding hard? are you gladiators just not doing well at all in the arena? if so, what sort of gladiators do you have, and what are their skills/strategies.

Have you been upgrading your weapons as you level up, and making sure to keep them repaired?
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

Hi Kuljem.

At first, i suggest to look at Overall Rating of the Blood Gods bracket.
    You will see a Top 10 for each speciality.

Top 5 Rage: Everyone, except Mr Champloo (he uses dual weapons build and Hard to Hit skill), is a two-handed power-rage, having an extremely offensive skills. Everyone has a 57%+ rate.
    Top 5 War: First four are tanks having an ultimate defensive skills. Everyone has a 55%+ rate.
    Top 5 Theatrics: There are a bunch of speed-like offensive theatrics with a 51%+ rate. And amazing Arkal, which uses pure counter-attacking build at 65%+ rate wielding Axes (strength-oriented weapon).

Also, You may try to launch Gauntlet/Conquest by choosing these top fighters. And then You will see which stats they stacks. Generally, it's Stamina and Strength.

Summary: At this time, metagame is moved close to a Strength+Stamina builds. It's relatively easy for Rage/War, but more difficult for a Theatrics. Because a gladiator must to have not only stacked stats, but the skills oriented by these stats too.

And then about Your a ... questions:
    -- The Surprise Ending skill. It's a defensive skill, which means You'll get it more often using a defensive stances, parry or counter-attack. Parry is a difficult style for Theatrics now because of a relatively low role of defense stat for a theatrics. Counter-attack is difficult to build for some reasons too. Also, this skill requires high Agility/Presence/Chi, while the "best" stats are Stamina and Strength at this time.
    But it's still looks like "must have skill" now. To deflect Rages power-hits, Dead From Above, or some Slayers/Shadows skills in the future.
    -- Weapon quality. I have tried to use grey weapons in the Blood Gods. It works almost as a violet or orange, yes. But a high quality weapon has a higher stats on it, allowing to stack what You need better. By the way, almost the only reason to have second weapon (except a shield/whip/net) is the stats stacking.
    -- And we need more information about Your troubles, as Apo says. ;)
    Last edited by weaw; 09-14-2015 at 07:05 AM.

Dunder Theatric.

Attributes:
    Str - 78, Int - 99, Agi - 117, Sta - 108, Size - 91, Pres - 128, Chi - 104
    Also invested in some AP and Def

Strategies:
    #1 Stand by - 9 - Parry/Lunge - 9
    #2 I'm very tired - 3 - Parry/Lunge - 3
    #3 I'm mod tired - 8 - Lunge - 9
    #4 I'm slig injure - 9 - Lunge - 9
    #5 DISABLED

Skills:
    Exotic - 10, Shield - 10, Feint - 9, Crowd P - 9, Gratuitous V - 9, Armor M - 10, Sotc - 9, Surprise E - 10
    Gear:
    All lvl 50(shield, torso, exotic pink, rest blue)

Explain me why does SE activates sometimes 5 times per round, and sometimes it doesnt go off for days using same strategy? I have seen it going off at strategies #1 and #3(or #4, cant remember and lazy to go investigate) most of the times.
    This glad does win fights, I don't know about 50% of time. I'm not calculating. But still, it's those little things that bug me.
    Same like Feint going off and doing lower damage(with white color), and next time he attacks(without feint and still using main hand) he does about 100 damage(orange-red). I thought that Feint increases AP for that hit, so logically it should hit harder. I don't know.
    There is so much I don't understand in this game.
    Nate. Make a map, damn it.

Oh and btw,
    my other glad is using his own strategies, and gear(war blades), and while he had Pink weapon of lower lvl(about 240 dps) he did same damage as he does now that I bought him new pink(lvl 50- about 440dps). I don't know if I am stupid, but I think he damage should increase by almost double. Wanna know how much his damage increased actually in fights? None. Zero. Niente. Nada. Nul.
    I'm just amazed at the actual game mechanics. Well done.(no sarcasm)
    Last edited by Kuljem; 09-16-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    Holosts Stable.

Kuljem (human theatrics)

Regarding attack power, it doesn't necessarily effect damage. It effects chance to hit, rate of critical hits, and rate of fumbles. It is compared against defense of your opponent to determine your glads effectiveness in attacking in that fight. Higher attack power can sometimes lead to more damage indirectly because of more critical hits and more hits in general.

As for the pink/purple weapons doing the same damage - it also depends on the weapon type. 240 dps means 240 damage per second. But if you use a heavy damage weapon, it might get that 240 in one hit. Using a dagger might get 240 damage in 4 hits. So a higher level speed weapon with a higher dps can still do the same damage per hit as a lower level heavy weapon per hit. But the higher level weapon should do more damage in the same amount of time.

As for the strategies - to see more counter-attacks, reduce bloodlust to gain more "control". Counterattack is a skill that benefits from your glad being more in control than out of control.

Adoede
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Quote Originally Posted by Kuljem View Post
    Explain me why does SE activates sometimes 5 times per round, and sometimes it doesnt go off for days using same strategy? I have seen it going off at strategies #1 and #3(or #4, cant remember and lazy to go investigate) most of the times.
    Are You using "Blow-By-Blow Detail" button? Sometimes Surprise Ending works, but missed. That blow will only visible in the full log.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuljem View Post
    Same like Feint going off and doing lower damage(with white color), and next time he attacks(without feint and still using main hand) he does about 100 damage(orange-red).
    The Feint skill gives a high chance to hit, but not to do a high damage.

About Your strategies.
    I think, the parry stance is only good vs Theatrics for this one. A War have enough AP/skills to lang his hits. A Rage even may have a benefits from his opponents parry (like Annihilate skill).
    It seems, this gladiator will switch to the strategy #4 after few hits and never use defensive stances (related to Surprise Ending) again until "very tired" (if he will live ...). It's not so good, because a dunder theatrics with a shield looks like something defensive. Yes, counter-attacking, to be more exactly. As Adoede says.

Alright, I'll try to implement more counterattacking.
    And yes, I read that blow-by-blow.

Would you advice on investing in ap and defense like I am currently doing? (not much tho)

Also Adoede, that weapon is same. Exactly the same. EVERYTHING IS SAME. EVERYTHING. Only a bit more attributes.. Now new weapon should have higher damage, yet it doesn't have.
    Holosts Stable.

Kuljem (human theatrics)

Boost an offensive powers if You prefer counterattacking style. But not the Attack Power stat exactly. Devastating Power, Brute Force can be useful.
    The Defense stat (including Crowd Pleaser skill) can be replaced by Grim Determination.
    Unfortunately, these skills relate to Strength/Stamina/Size, but not to Agility/Presence.
    But this gladiator has a good Size and already uses Strength/Size/Stamina-oriented skills. Like Shiled, SoTC, Armour Movement.
    So, You may try to rise these stats a bit.
    If You will use Grim Determination at 10 then the Shiled skill can be relplaced by the Master of Arms, which is more useful. Or You could decide to abandon the Shield at that time...

On the other hand, You may try to learn Bloody Spectacle or even Entangle. But these ways is much worse, in my opinion.

Also, try to use heaviest weapon for counterattacking. It's Falchion for exotics. And it's just funny. :) But a Trident is very useful too and, perhaps, more flexible.
    Last edited by weaw; 09-16-2015 at 08:11 PM.

A lot of variables go into damage, not just what it says on the tin. Your glad's AL, BL and fighting style are big ones. Your opponent's armor is another big one. Also keep in mind only half of the variables in a fight will ever be the same unless you fight the same glad and nothing has changed. All things being equal you'll see vastly different damage outputs vs a berserking rage glad and tanking war glad. Sometimes it is useful to copy a successful build and then figure out why it is a successful build rather than trailblazing your own way first. Once you understand what makes a build competitive you can start making adjustments and create a new offshoot. Scout some of the top glads and see how they have the skills and what type of weapon and armor they are using. Send them a message as well and see if they'll give you any advice on your strategy. You just might get lucky!

EDIT: one more thing. Defensive shield using Theatrics are a tough build to run. Keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Dainoji; 09-16-2015 at 08:03 PM.
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

I'd advise you to experiment with the weapons and apply a moderate dose of common sense to achieve a decent performance. Many weapons do behave somewhat realistically, i.e. the short Dagger allows very swift attacks but sucks terribly against heavy armour even with tons of offensive skills while the long Bastard Sword is much slower but hits noticeably harder even well-armoured opponents and suffers much less armour deflections. With both weapons however you can't expect incredibly high damage output against heavily defensive opponents (especially tanking Wars) - except if you're running some Elaar or manage to prolong the battle to the point when the opponent gets tired and his/her Defense and armour-boosting skills drop considerably. Why? Because the Blades in general are not armour-piercing weapons. They offer good variety of types to play with your fighter's speed and initiative and can trigger bleeding but if you want to punch through armour, you go for Axes & Maces or 2H weapons - which have their own set of disadvantages though. Frankly you'll probably have to go through an extensive trial-and-error process to figure out what each weapons does and where it fits. Keep in mind that some weapons - even if they are from the same type, i.e. Blades, A&M, etc. - are quite bad for certain builds and perfect for others, don't expect your gladiators to be equally good with everything which the game offers.

As for the displayed damage values - I'd suggest to use them only for a very rough reference. There are really MANY factors that influence damage so what you see is certainly not what you get most of the time. This applies the most to the off-handed weapons - their punch is always considerably weaker than what the raw damage values suggest but the type of the weapon also seems to factor into the actual hitting power. For example one of my Wars - Toros - dual-wields Bastard Swords. The off-handed sword allegedly deals some 400-800 damage without the extra damage bonuses. In fact I've never seen it deal more than 150 even against light armour, usually it's even below 100 as opposed to the regular 400-500 damage hits of the main hand sword which displays the same "basic" damage range. Arkal on the other hand dual-wields axes which should hit for something like 450-750 damage each while in fact the main hand axe scores around 500-600 average damage vs. light armour and the off-handed one - 200-300, i.e. around half of the main hand value. It could be that the longer the weapon is, the harder it is to use with the left hand. Go figure.

Bottom line is, try things. You can read the numerous guides around here for general advises - which are good to prepare you for the average opponent on the arena - but to be able to fight decently at the top, you have to experiment yourself. You can always copy some existing top build of course but that's not where the fun of this game is.