Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Future updates and general discussion from another thread

I've created this thread to move a couple of conversations from other threads.

There has been talk of Season and Blood Games prizes. Blood Games prizes have indeed been extremely generous for some time now because the game currently has a limited number of ways to reward gladiators and I wanted to extend the "Grand Opening" phase of the new Blood Games format which admittedly has gone on a little longer than planned. Yay for time constraints! In the not too distant future Blood Games prizes will be changing as will Season prizes. Anyone who would like to make serious suggestions as to what those prizes could be are welcome to post them here and I'll see if I can work them into the design.

There has been some discussion about the leveling speed in Blood Gods not being fast enough for some, just right for others. As always, you'll never make everyone happy, however, to move the needle closer to making more people happy, I'll be introducing the ability to speed up Blood God leveling even more for those players interested. Pit of War was designed with an "old school" spirit and for many it brings them back to a days when games were slower paced and long lived. Many of today's games are designed to be hyper paced with very fast progression with the consequence of being short lived. It's why many of us install and uninstall numerous games on our phones on a daily or weekly basis and move from game to game without a second thought. Supply has outstripped demand and never before has there been so many games available to us. Pit of War has thrived for over four years by evolving somewhat to the trends but still trying to remain true to its roots. The support of many players in our community has made this possible and I am thankful everyday for that and will continue to do my best in making PoW a fun and flexible game that can accommodate as wide a range of gaming habits as possible.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Stable Servant
    IMO the pace of the game is great.if i wanted a disposable game i would play one of the many out there.love pit of war!!!

I grew up playing PBM war games, gladiator games and sports games. For those not in the know PBM means "Play by Mail" and I'm not talking email either. Lick a stamp, send it on its way and wait till next week for some results mail, so POW is lightning in my opinion.

I thought the 2 fights a day at the birth of POW was just right for planning and anticipation as well as anxiety.

On the prizes question, membership extensions and vault spots would be welcoming in my opinion. Gear is great but the need to continuously having to delete other gear is a bit upsetting.
    Immortalized Stable of
    TEAM KAOS

Ideas for prizes:
    Simple fix:
    Blood Games - Keep as is
    Seasons - Separate set of ranks like the Blood Games prizes corresponding thusly:
    Top 1-3 rank = 1st place finish
    Top 4-6 rank = 2nd place finish
    Top 7-10 rank = 3rd place finish

Or these other prize option ideas:
    1) A potion to switch one stat with another on a new slave. (So if the roll up was awesome, but had 90 presence and 65 size, you could switch those two stats)
    2) Your choice of any 1 existing legendary piece of gear
    3) Bonus 10,000 BGP at the start of the next season
    4) Trophy prizes: 2500 trophies for 1st place (equivalent of 1 piece of legendary gear), 1250 trophies for 2nd place, 750 trophies for 3rd place. (Plus the achievement prizes above)
    5) A potion to switch the specialty of your glad (matching skill points used; losing all gear pieces that are no longer usable by your new specialty)
    6) Conversion of one additional achievement slot so that it can be purchased with gold instead of trophies
    7) A potion that permanently boosts a base stat of your glad: i.e. potion of Strength +5 (so you can use it on any of your glads to boost their base strength by 5 points - to a max of 100)
    Adoede | Tevrosin

I'm quite happy with the levelling pace, and find it more rewarding to have a slower progression. With how Blood Gods is structured to stay fighting within the same tier, you also don't feel like you're getting pummelled and outclassed.
    The gear progression seems a bit on the slow side (even with conquest grinding) - if we could carry over more BGP that would help.

As for new rewards, I like some of the ideas mentioned above by Adoede and Kaos. I'd be careful about ones that give a significant permanent performance advantage, especially if it can be stacked and the advantage can keep accumulating.
    I think some games that embrace the "free to play" philosophy over the "pay to win" model look to vanity rewards (example - a custom weapon picture, or coloured dye for an armour piece, etc) as part of the reward system. Perhaps some of those can be included in?
    Another interesting idea could also be a custom made weapon or piece of armour. For that though, the winner would probably have to pm with you on what they were looking for within certain parameters (eg - "I want a medium helmet with a bonus to strength, presence, and block" and you would create something for them that fit within the game balance but was in line with what they're looking for).
    Stable: Stormcloak
    Current Glads: Lachdanan (human war), Ecthelion (human war), Kedro (rage elaar), Acheros (war elaar), Tsiroth (war elaar)
    HOL Retirees: Rauthreygo (human war), Farkas (rage elaar), Vilkus (theatrics elaar), Thalvric (war elaar), Gamling (war dunder), Kresjack (theatrics elaar), Percivus (war spite), Agravaine (war elaar)

Leveling feels really slow to me, despite having played back when it took ages to complete anything (when PoW started)

I didnt mind the slow levelingfrom 50-55 back when all the gladiators were doing the same slog as things were still rather even, and you didnt feel behind the 8 ball. With lvl 55 gladiators now being well established, having a new gladiator take the grind from 50-55 really sucks, and it's disheartening. I know that it is in part because I'm impatient, and want my new glads to reach the 'end game' where my other glads are, but 5 months to get to 55 has just put me off altogether, and doesnt make me want to invest the time in new gladiators/classes when the time comes.

Like Cyn, I remember way back when new gladiators/builds were appearing all the time when there was the lvl 50 cap (even before buying extra fights was a thing). You could easily come up with something, and test it within 2 months. If it didnt work, you could just get another slave and test out the next idea. Now, if you want to test something, it will take 6 months (at least) before you can see if the concept actually works, not to mention the time to find the gear to go with it. Sure, you could retrain existing gladiators, but that will take forever with how many training points you get in Blood Gods, and how long you have to wait to get the end of season reward of 200TPs if you perform poorly.

I guess my point is that such slow levelling to the end game is not fun for many of us, and I feel that it stifles creativity.
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

I'm fine with the levelling speed and the slow start in Blood Gods doesn't really bother me. I can see where the others are coming from though so increasing the progression pace somehow wouldn't hurt, at least. Blood Gods currently almost completely lacks gold economy so perhaps something to spend gold on, like a paid version of the Pit Fights where you can earn XP (up to a daily cap) instead of items could do the trick.

What if there was a stable upgrade where you could pick up two "training glads" for lack of a better word? They could compete against each other but not in any of the brackets or games. You could train up all skills (points and xp but no gold from tavern runs) but only have 100 training points sunk into them at any time. They could use any strategy, equip any weapons or armour you have, and reassigning training points is free. This way you could try different builds against each other to experiment. It would still take the 6 months to bring up a competitive glad, but at least this way you'd have a better idea of what you were doing beforehand.
    Stable: Stormcloak
    Current Glads: Lachdanan (human war), Ecthelion (human war), Kedro (rage elaar), Acheros (war elaar), Tsiroth (war elaar)
    HOL Retirees: Rauthreygo (human war), Farkas (rage elaar), Vilkus (theatrics elaar), Thalvric (war elaar), Gamling (war dunder), Kresjack (theatrics elaar), Percivus (war spite), Agravaine (war elaar)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it. I'm working on some options to help those who want a faster pace to have it and for those who like it slower can just keep playing as normal. I'll release a few of the easier to implement options soon and then more involved ones later. Regarding prizes for the Blood Games and Seasons they'll be moving more towards customized items, vanity gear, gear only attainable via rewards, gladiator enhancements, things impossible to do within the game currently, etc.

Thanks again for all the feedback, and if you haven't added yours yet, feel free to do so anytime.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

vanity gear
    Gimme my dumbbells!
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!