Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are.

6 100.00%
  • No, they aren't.

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "How to defeat a War using shield?"

You can dip into the rage tree for a bit more hitting power. If you have feint going once a round, with called shot, dev power, and brute force/blood drunk you have quite a bit of hitting power. It's not purely defensive or purely theatrics, but you can still run crowdpleaser, and use a shield, and other assorted theatrics skills, and switch between parrying, counterattacking, and attacking under different conditions.
    Stable: Stormcloak
    Current Glads: Lachdanan (human war), Ecthelion (human war), Kedro (rage elaar), Acheros (war elaar), Tsiroth (war elaar)
    HOL Retirees: Rauthreygo (human war), Farkas (rage elaar), Vilkus (theatrics elaar), Thalvric (war elaar), Gamling (war dunder), Kresjack (theatrics elaar), Percivus (war spite), Agravaine (war elaar)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
    You can dip into the rage tree for a bit more hitting power.
    And then smash a War with DevaSTTating PoWerRRR! Wielding a shield. Nice joke. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
    ... other assorted theatrics skills ...
    "Skill", but not "skills". 4 Rage skills +weapon+shield+feint+called shot+crowd pleaser -10 = -1.

I think, that build would have a stats like 1/3 even on HOL. :)
    Last edited by weaw; 01-16-2015 at 10:46 PM.

Sure - with dipping into the rage tree (I didn't suggest running 4 rage skills), one could run, for example:
    Blade/exotic, Shield
    Dev Power, Brute Force
    Feint, Called Shot
    Crowdpleaser, Gratuitous Violence
    Armour Movement, Hamstring

You have Armour Movement to help with initiative and absorbing attacks, Crowdpleaser to boost defense especially when using defensive fighting styles, Hamstring to lower your opponents attacks, and GV to get a bit of damage over time in for longer matches. Feint is a decent, frequently activated attack, Brute Force lowers your opponent's defense, and Called Shot and Dev Power combine nicely together to keep hitting the same area with a higher chance to, and the impact of, critical hit. You can run a defensively themed strategy (based around parry and counter-attack) and turn more aggressive when the right opportunities present themselves. Of course, this isn’t a build that will trump every other build, but I would be comfortable running it. If you want to have a glad stronger on one particular aspect, you have to find another that you're willing to compromise on.
    Current Glads: Lachdanan (human war), Ecthelion (human war), Kedro (rage elaar), Acheros (war elaar), Tsiroth (war elaar)
    HOL Retirees: Rauthreygo (human war), Farkas (rage elaar), Vilkus (theatrics elaar), Thalvric (war elaar), Gamling (war dunder), Kresjack (theatrics elaar), Percivus (war spite), Agravaine (war elaar)

Ok.
    What exactly You suggested:
    DP (Str, Size, Chi)
    BF (Str, Size, Chi)
    Shield (Str, Sta, Int)
    Feint (Int, Agi)
    CS (Int, Agi, Prs)
    CP (Int, Agi, Prs)
    GV (Int, Agi, Prs)
    Hamstring (Str, Agi, Prs)
    AM (Str, Agi, Size)

For me interest presented in the Primus or above. In these brackets we need to concentrate our stats around skills we used.
    So, what the stats we need to stack in that build?
    For me it's obvious that this build is not so good. Because we spreads of all stats. But Ok. I can suggest to exchange CP (Int, Agi, Prs) for Strength of the Crowd (SC) (Str, Agi, Prs) and then pick the Maces & Axes skill (Int, Str).
    This choice allows to stack Str, then Agi. (And this choice exclude GV from our build :).

And now we can to return the question: "How to defeat a War using shield?"
    We have a fight: Our theatrics wielding a mace and shield, an opponent wielding a mace and shield. An Opponent uses heaviest armor and tank stance. What do You expect from this fight?
    The right answer is obvious again...
    Last edited by weaw; 01-17-2015 at 02:24 PM.

You won't drop an equally developed, well-managed tank with A&M if your gladiator is not a Rage. You'll be better off with Exotics and specifically a Falchion or Trident (less deflections, better criticals), bleeding focus, a lot of Stamina and careful endurance management. Aim for a limb which is not likely to be defended and try to force the tank to annoy the crowd so they can help your fighter. Yes, it won't work every time and yes, the tank will still have the upper hand when damage mitigation is considered but with some strategy tweaking you have a chance.

Also, don't try to max all attributes which you have skills for - that won't get you far and it's not needed. For a bleeder, you need mostly Agility and Presence, plus some Chi to ensure adequate criticals. Intellect shouldn't go above 100 - it makes zero difference, trust me, I had a gladiator with 180 Intellect before. Make sure you have enough Stamina to last more than 20 rounds with moderately active setup and distribute the rest as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreegan View Post
    Intellect shouldn't go above 100 - it makes zero difference, trust me, I had a gladiator with 180 Intellect before.
    Not to hijack this thread, but I'm curious what benefits and weaknesses you saw with your glad at 180 int and why you think it is useless.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Having quite a few Theatrics within my stables, a few of them defensive and a couple with very unorthodox builds, it always seems for a defensive that it boils down to whether they can handle the 2H wielding War and it's DFA skill. Unlike the Rage with its Rampage that can do glorious damage, its a bit easier to defend against a Rage. DFA is amazingly difficult to avoid for the defensive Theatric. A Theatric can tire out and bleed a Rage while rope a doping during the match.
    The War usually has stamina to spare and doesn't tire as fast and the heavy armor can withstand softer parry attacks reducing blood loss substantially.

Axes and Maces will penetrate the heavy armour a bit better but again a few DFA and its over. This weapon choice also limits the Theatrics against other faster builds defensively. I have seen some success by making an aimed attempt at knocking the 2H weapon from its hands. With a little luck the war either goes weaponless or picks up an unskilled weapon.

As with every build in the game, there is always another that can counter it, but by countering a specific build you open the fighter to be at a disadvantage vs 1 or more other builds.

A defensive Theatric skilled with the following can be highly effective against DFA
    Aimed Blow
    Sig Move
    Crowd Pleaser
    Armor Movement
    Strngth of Crowd
    Hamstring
    Surprise Ending and reaching into the Rage tree for Barreling Attack. DFA doesnt seem to trigger much when the war is rolling around on the ground.

Again, its not always wise to build against a specific build, yes you may win the majority of bouts against that specific build but the result is not always the best overall when having to fight all the others builds.
    Last edited by Team Kaos; 01-18-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Team Kaos,
    I think, the best way to keep a War (and not only) disarmed, proned or blinded is not the Barreling Attack, but a Signature Moves + Whip + Entangle combination.
    A whip is the fast weapon. So, it works good for the SM skill. It works itself due the Entangle skill. Also, it helps to stack bleeding due to the number of attacks.
    But yes, an off-handed whip makes a Theatrics less defensive in a some sense.

Thanks, Kreegan. Useful ideas and info.

Weaw,
    Your glad Dierdre is running dual whips, and Entangle. With the disarms have you (or anyone else) ever pulled off your opponent's shield or offhand item? I've only ever noticed the main weapon impacted with disarms. If you can pull off an opponent's shield that would be a way to take away some of a tank's strength.
    Last edited by Stormcloak; 01-18-2015 at 04:44 PM.

I've never seen a removing of off-handed weapon (including shield) through disarming...
    For both skills. Entangle and Signature Moves.

But i think the real problem for Theatrics is not a Wars shield. But the tons of endurance and damage absorption/deflection (A shield has some relation to these, but not dominant).
    I don't believe that a Theatrics has some chances to defeat a good tank using just a damage. Even if he got 2-4 skills of the Rage part of skill tree. And even if he wields good damaging weapon like falchion or trident. And even if a tank wields an off-handed weapon instead of shield.
    I see no more ways here, only bleeding, only knockout (it works very bad on tanks and generally unpredictable), and only some accurate work on stamina (which was described by Kreegan).
    For stamina method may help a net. I've already tried to use net and going to try it again (Until i accidentally not fell in the Blood Gods brackets and was not eaten there :).
    Last edited by weaw; 01-18-2015 at 09:40 PM.