Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling

Struggling

Hello!
    For heads up, I'm not a strategic player, so I most likely will suck and ask questions.

Been playing for 30 days now. (Apparently from logging in.)
    I'm just going to give short detail of my character:

Level 31
    War
    Axe & Mace/Shield (Started)
    Pole Arms (use, Few days ago)
    St 77, Int 75, Agil 70, Stam 75, Pres 75, Chi 75.
    Heavy or Medium armor usage. (May go light armor.)
    Record: 126-164-4

Okay, so my problem is that I am losing.. A lot.. And if I ever win, it's mostly due to the fact my opponent falls from exhaustion.. I'd rather give them mercy or death.
    The way I loose is from either;

exhaustion
    Only get 2-3 hits in and still losing
    Not getting any hits in
    Only doing little damage but still losing... Or... Losing..?

I have changed my strategy, Activity Level & BloodLust in all different ways I just can't make a win.. I could get 1 win with 4 tokens if I come on in the morning.. Prob 2-3 if I have 8 tokens. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong to loose this badly and making my self an easy target, lol..

I have 3 other characters, 1 doing better than my first (this one) and starting to go down the same road.. And 2 others that are doing okay but feel like they are going same path as my other 2 high levels..

At this point, I'm getting annoyed and failing my glad's.. I could use some serious help on improving my winning.. And less of the losing and making my glad(s) look like a wimp..

Sorry for the "noob" post, but it's driving me mad!

Regards
    Gimlisk

what rank is your weapon skill? To be effective with any weapon you want it to be trained up to at least level 8.
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

Axe & Maces 8
    Shield 8
    Master of Arms 8

Untrain Shield - master of arms gives you the ability to use shields and any other weapon. You are duplicating skills here basically. Put your points into Battle Hardened instead.

What strategy are you running?
    Stable: Stormcloak
    Current Glads: Lachdanan (human war), Ecthelion (human war), Kedro (rage elaar), Acheros (war elaar), Tsiroth (war elaar)
    HOL Retirees: Rauthreygo (human war), Farkas (rage elaar), Vilkus (theatrics elaar), Thalvric (war elaar), Gamling (war dunder), Kresjack (theatrics elaar), Percivus (war spite), Agravaine (war elaar)

I've untrained Shield, but I'm not sure what you mean by "strategy"? Like, armor, weapons, stats, what I'm using? Or Fighting Strategy?
    (Sorry if I'm sounding a complete idiot on your question)

What is your fighting style and what weapon are you using?

Hi Gimlisk and welcome to PoW.

First of all, that glad is good with nice all-around stats - so there's no fundamental reason why they should be performing so poorly. That means it boils down to vision/gear/skills/strategies to improve their performance.

Second, you need to select an overall build vision and stick to it for a while. Is this guy going to be a defensive tank? Is he going to be an offensive hybrid war?

If you decide to go defensive tank, stack on the heavy armor and get the one-handed weapon and shield. Focus solely on the defensive war tree skills. For your strategy, you should experiment to see what activity level and bloodlust makes your defense more effective. Because the armor is so heavy, you will be very encumbered and slow to attack - basically win your fights by exhausting your opponents.

If you'd rather be an offensive force, then consider branching out of the war tree skills and dabble in the Rage or theatrics skills. I'd suggest taking Devastating Power to start. Beyond that, Brute Force, Blood Drunk, Feint and Adrenaline Rush are nice too - depending on how much you want to take from the other trees. Because you want to be able to attack well, I'd say you're better off in medium armor for now (you need "Light as a Feather" to use Heavy armor without all the major encumbrance penalties). I'd also switch weapons to 2-Handed for more damage (Polearms are agility-based weapons...strength based weapons are generally more effective against armored opponents).

For strategies, you just have to experiment to see what works. Scout out the most effective war glads in the game and watch when they use their strategies and what is triggering them. You'll notice most of the top hybrid war glads have basically the same general strategies and triggers. That said, hybrid wars are a little complicated to run well, so it will take a little effort to figure out how to be effective with them. Hope that helps turn your luck around.

p.s. - War glads happen to be very expensive to run well because of their need for good armor. Rages and speed builds don't rely much on armor so they can get away with being cheap and sticking with green armor. That need for good armor will be a slight obstacle for you since your stable is new and poor.
    Last edited by Adoede; 01-02-2015 at 09:23 AM.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

What fellow masters said. Make sure you keep your gear updated (every 5 levels or so update them), make sure you repair your gear at blacksmith every few days. There are couple of guides around that could provide info.
    For Axes&Maces use Bash, set some triggers for endurance and anything else you might find useful. Oh, and make sure you get your weapon skill to lvl 10. Only 1 weapon skill to lvl 10, then master of arms to 10. But every time you start new glad i suggest you reach lvl 10 weapon skill first since it increases your attack power and defense while using that weapon, and will also less fumble and trip over weapons.

I know when i started war (my second glad, I was also very poor ), i just geared him up with all heavy armor. Even tho he got very encumbered he still won most of fights by either damage or exhausting enemy.

Hope any of this will help. Cheers.
    Holosts Stable.
    And best gladiator so far;
    Bayorn (dunder theatrics)
    Kicking ass in Blood Gods 2 levels behind and undergeared.

Noticeable Retired Glads;
    Kuljem (human theatrics)

Quote Originally Posted by Adoede View Post
    Hi Gimlisk and welcome to PoW.

First of all, that glad is good with nice all-around stats - so there's no fundamental reason why they should be performing so poorly. That means it boils down to vision/gear/skills/strategies to improve their performance.

Second, you need to select an overall build vision and stick to it for a while. Is this guy going to be a defensive tank? Is he going to be an offensive hybrid war?

If you decide to go defensive tank, stack on the heavy armor and get the one-handed weapon and shield. Focus solely on the defensive war tree skills. For your strategy, you should experiment to see what activity level and bloodlust makes your defense more effective. Because the armor is so heavy, you will be very encumbered and slow to attack - basically win your fights by exhausting your opponents.

If you'd rather be an offensive force, then consider branching out of the war tree skills and dabble in the Rage or theatrics skills. I'd suggest taking Devastating Power to start. Beyond that, Brute Force, Blood Drunk, Feint and Adrenaline Rush are nice too - depending on how much you want to take from the other trees. Because you want to be able to attack well, I'd say you're better off in medium armor for now (you need "Light as a Feather" to use Heavy armor without all the major encumbrance penalties). I'd also switch weapons to 2-Handed for more damage (Polearms are agility-based weapons...strength based weapons are generally more effective against armored opponents).

For strategies, you just have to experiment to see what works. Scout out the most effective war glads in the game and watch when they use their strategies and what is triggering them. You'll notice most of the top hybrid war glads have basically the same general strategies and triggers. That said, hybrid wars are a little complicated to run well, so it will take a little effort to figure out how to be effective with them. Hope that helps turn your luck around.

p.s. - War glads happen to be very expensive to run well because of their need for good armor. Rages and speed builds don't rely much on armor so they can get away with being cheap and sticking with green armor. That need for good armor will be a slight obstacle for you since your stable is new and poor.
    Thanks for the advice & others!
    Well, for my "future" idea of my gladiator was to be a tank-ish? fighter. But to be honest, I don't know were he is going now, lol. But after reading what you've said, I'm going to re-check my character tomorrow/later and make him a tank.

I like the Idea of being a tank that warns gladiators out to win, but It's weather if I can make it work and how I should make it work. What priority stats would I need?
    I was thinking in order; Stamina - Presence - Strength. But I could be wrong or need to be changed a little..?

And as for being expensive for my War, I don't mind. I have enough gold + I get trophies once in a while.

Also, for strategy, I will have to really think over.. Maybe a short idea for a tank-ish gladiator? I might have a few ideas later, but wouldn't mind hearing from you or anyone else. But I've try many and all seem to somewhat fail.. Mostly losing than winning.. Sadly..

Regards
    Gimlisk

My five cents: Don't be afraid to losing a fights. It's normal. And it's (perhaps) just a question of a one point in Your skills.
    And yes, here is so newbie-frendly community... :)
    You may read some texts from Apo's compilation: http://forum.pitofwar.com/showthread...-Player-Guides
    These texts are really important at the start...
    Last edited by weaw; 01-02-2015 at 06:54 PM.