Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree with weaw, the "implied" style for a War class is damage absorbing tank, and that's it, there's very little choice, I would love it if there was some offense in the tree, or choice, or options, it's really straightforward "just tank it out" and after making 3 tanks it's gotten a little stale for me. Given that War class is the only one that can use Polearms I would love to see a skill or two in the tree utilizing said polearm usability, or just some offense- maybe even an offensive fighting style for war like weaw suggested.
    ~Frostee~

Stable: Frostee Fyre-

Baratheonus, Snivlez, Doomedsoul, Godly Greg, Bloody Bill, Benevolent Ben, Raging Rick, Dangerous Dan

~Regular Gladiator, HoL Gladiator, Retired Gladiator~

Kreegan - your footnote sums up what I was trying to say, better than I did. I agree completely with that sentiment.
    Do you have any suggestions on the skills discussed that you'd like to see (some of the suggestions were taken from previous threads you posted in), or are you content with just ignoring those skills?

weaw - an intersting idea about a new fighting style (but no idea how easy it is to implement/playtest). Did you have any thoughts in particular?

Frostee (just saw your post) - did you have any idea in particular on a skill you'd like to see (or were there any from the original post that interest you?). Maybe something more weapon-length related (polearm)?

Nate - if you've been reading I'd really like to hear your thoughts on what we've discussed so far. Whether it's "keep talking, the discussion is interesting", or even "don't hold you breath" would be good
    Last edited by Stormcloak; 12-30-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    Stable: Stormcloak
    Current Glads: Lachdanan (human war), Ecthelion (human war), Kedro (rage elaar), Acheros (war elaar), Tsiroth (war elaar)
    HOL Retirees: Rauthreygo (human war), Farkas (rage elaar), Vilkus (theatrics elaar), Thalvric (war elaar), Gamling (war dunder), Kresjack (theatrics elaar), Percivus (war spite), Agravaine (war elaar)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
    Frostee (just saw your post) - did you have any idea in particular on a skill you'd like to see (or were there any from the original post that interest you?). Maybe something more weapon-length related (polearm)?
    I'd love to see one or more of these get testing for the war tree (as per your suggestions from a compilation of other posts on this topic) :
    "-Perhaps an activated offensive skill where you immediately hit back when you get attacked (like a counterpart to the defensive Create Distance)
    -Offensive use of shields to distinguish the war class. Decreases your opponents initiative and each shield type provides a different activated benefit (perhaps bucklers do a shield stun, tower shields can pin opponents to increase critical chances and the level of a crit, medium shield can let you get in close and decrease your opponent’s defense with an activated attack similar to feint) to give both some offense and tactical flavour
    -Offensive version of Never Say Die (the closer your war gets to losing whether by hp or endurance, he gets a bonus to damage)"

Whilst I think these options are more of the "tank absorbing damage" route and I'd rather not see more of the same in the tree:
    "-Damage deflection with returned bleeding (spiked armour)
    -Increased critical protection with a reasonably low chance to halve attack damage – another good idea but I wouldn’t make it against all crits, maybe just knockdowns, stuns, and disarms"

And I don't like the idea of another buffing passive, the War tree has more passives than the other 2 trees as it is already

I agree Ambidexterity sounds cool, but if I were making an offensive war it'd be 2h, and if I was making another tank it'd be shield and mace, so I can't see it benefiting the war tree, maybe theatrics or rage though?

Just my thoughts on the ideas you offered up, I'm very unoriginal/uncreative, so don't expect any flashes of brilliance from me :P XD
    ~Frostee~

Stable: Frostee Fyre-

Baratheonus, Snivlez, Doomedsoul, Godly Greg, Bloody Bill, Benevolent Ben, Raging Rick, Dangerous Dan

~Regular Gladiator, HoL Gladiator, Retired Gladiator~

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
    an intersting idea about a new fighting style (but no idea how easy it is to implement/playtest). Did you have any thoughts in particular?
    A developer may launch few (or more) thousand of fights using copies of existing gladiators in order to test a new skill. I see no difference here what exactly is an object to test, a skill or a fighting style...

The idea of a new style was born while i was reading Kreegan's post. So, i had no special thoughts at that moment.
    But right now i have to say:
    The real properties of a pure war right now is armour, absorption (and related strength, endurance). The payment is the statics.
    So, it may be a style, which exchanges armour/absorption into number of attacks, initiative and such.

Another funny way is to make a skill (to swap Down and Dangerous, for example) that gives to war access to any fighting style in the game. But this way requires a correction. Because counterattacking using 2H may be not so funny for a war opponent. %)
    For example, a war may pay for "non-native" styles by burning tons of endurance and loosing these armour/absorbation/deflection...
    Last edited by weaw; 12-30-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Nate - if you've been reading I'd really like to hear your thoughts on what we've discussed so far. Whether it's "keep talking, the discussion is interesting", or even "don't hold you breath" would be good
    Respectful and polite debate is always welcome on these forums. Have fun, brainstorm, and be as creative as you like!

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Thank you Nate

Frostee - If I were to pick a skill, I would probably be leaning towards the same ones you mentioned (or even the one I suggested with armour penetration and critical fumble/disarm resistance). Those would be the ones that could potentially add a bit more dimension and another option to the class while still keeping in theme.

Weaw, for a fighting style maybe if there was something like a grappling technique that tires both glads out to give a direct way to attack endurance? Chance to successfully grapple would have to depend on AL/BL. There would have to be some drawbacks though (maybe damage when the grapple is broken) because I could see that being particularly powerful for the "lazy" tanks.
    Stable: Stormcloak
    Current Glads: Lachdanan (human war), Ecthelion (human war), Kedro (rage elaar), Acheros (war elaar), Tsiroth (war elaar)
    HOL Retirees: Rauthreygo (human war), Farkas (rage elaar), Vilkus (theatrics elaar), Thalvric (war elaar), Gamling (war dunder), Kresjack (theatrics elaar), Percivus (war spite), Agravaine (war elaar)