Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PoW roadmap discussion thread

Nate has some really exciting changes planned, which he is listing in this thread. As it is a closed thread so that Nate's announcements are easy to read, let's all discuss the plans here :]

Blood Games

The Blood Games are going to change into multiple one week long tournaments. Each bracket will have its own tournament allowing all levels to compete. Gladiators will need to manually register. The format will most likely be something like the following:

* day 1 = registration (organize gladiators into groups. Groups might be random or by specialty, race, weapon type, etc.)
    * day 2 & 3 = group matches, group A only fights other group A members. At the end of day 3, X gladiators from each group make the cut and determine bracket seeds for the 16 gladiators for the round of 16.
    * day 4 = Round of 16 (start of the single loss knockout rounds)
    * day 5 = Quarter-Finals
    * day 6 = Semi-Finals
    * day 7 = Finals
    I think this is going to be super exciting for everyone. New players/gladiators and old alike. I think it will have certain gladiators really dominate some brackets, due to the sandbagging before the tavern changes, and a gear inequality at the top end of the game, but with it being a week long competition, it's quick enough to dust yourself off and have another crack at it, tweek strats, and so on.

Seasons

Seasons will likely be changing into what is now the Blood Games and last one month instead of two (probably won't be called seasons anymore, since we were already pushing that definition with a two month time scale). Blood God gladiators will fight once (maybe twice) per day on a fixed schedule, no arena fight tokens. Matchups will be handled based on the gladiator's current points like how the Blood Games handles it now. Opponents may or may not be known ahead of time.
    I'm liking this change a lot. One month means less time to wait for the next chance at a good ranking if you have decided to retrain your gladiators [which currently writes off 2 months of play if you want to get a good rating]. the bigger change though, is one fight every 12 hours. This is going back to the old school days of PoW, and strategy will be more important than ever. I'm missing a lot of points as to why I'm excited about this change, but I just cant quit explain it properly.

PvP is going to get properly serious now though

/ponders if old badass managers will return, and how Oedi and SOTC will show down with each other.
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

Definitely sounds amazing. I am mostly looking forwards to the 1-week-rounds! Not having to wait for level 50+ to compete in another part of the game will feel good.
    Stable: Thors Throne
    - Thor Odinson ! Finally retired ! Searching for my next Odin !
    - Freya Odrvif! Finally retired ! Searching for my next Friya !
    - Odin Allvatir ! The fucking beast amongst gods (Bihander warrior)
    - Friya ! Fast & Furious

I like where this is going Nate. Looking forward to see more. Any ETA on this stuff yet?
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

I'm working on the new seasons changes and hope to have them in place for the next season which starts in a few days.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

I'm working on the new seasons changes and hope to have them in place for the next season which starts in a few days.
    Just enough time before hand to get to zee gym and VERK OWT!!!
    Last edited by Ahhnold; 10-13-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Apoc, Ahhnold would never post this, you accidentally took the wrong account, I assume?

And yes, that are amazing news.
    Stable: Thors Throne
    - Thor Odinson ! Finally retired ! Searching for my next Odin !
    - Freya Odrvif! Finally retired ! Searching for my next Friya !
    - Odin Allvatir ! The fucking beast amongst gods (Bihander warrior)
    - Friya ! Fast & Furious

You are correct. I've changed it to something more appropriate :P

I'm pretty keen to see what tweaks are implemented
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

Next season will be the start of the new format. Below is a quick list of some of the more notable features:

* Seasons will last 4 weeks.
    * Blood God gladiators will automatically fight (and be resurrected if needed at the owner's expense) once per day at 2pm PST.
    * No more patron blood god teams.
    * There will be two leader boards. Weekly and overall. The weekly leader board resets each week.
    * Similar to how the lower brackets work, how well a gladiator does in a fight affects their rating, not just their record.
    * Match making is no longer a round robin and will instead be based on a gladiator's rating from the overall leader board.
    * A gladiator's next opponent is unknown and pulled from a pool of similarly rated gladiators.
    * Gladiators can fight teammates if they are closely rated.
    * BGP will be awarded weekly to all gladiators based on their rating from the overall leader board.
    * Bonus BGP will be awarded at the end of the season to the top 3 gladiators in each category on the overall leader board.
    * Bonus BGP will be awarded daily and weekly to the top 3 gladiators in each category on the weekly leader board.
    * In the event there are an odd number of gladiators in the Season, the Arena officials will provide an opponent to whoever doesn't get matched up.

With the change to the match making algorithm and the inclusion of a weekly leader board that resets, all gladiators will have a good chance of competing for top spots on it and the Blood God bracket will be far more hospitable for the uninitiated. Promotions from Primus will continue to happen once per week, and as there will be a weekly leader board they'll be able to jump right into the competition.

Additionally, the slower pace in Blood Gods of one fight per day instead of 8+, I'm offering anyone who is interested in re-recruiting any of their Hall of Legends gladiators who were once Blood Gods free of charge for a limited time, provided there is room in their stable. If you would like to take me up on this offer, send me a PM ASAP and let me know the names of those HoL gladiators you would like to re-recruit.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

How about experience will that be increased to count for the missed fights.
    (Briteron_by), Theatrics, imperial guards, (subjects), MOTU

Manager since December 2010.

Will there be any change in the rating requirements for the legendary items? And as far as the BGP are concerned, will your gladiator be able to win enough BGP to buy a legendary item during the same month, provided that he passes the rating threshold? If not - will there be any change in the mechanism to carry BGP between the seasons?