View Poll Results: What kind of new tier 6 skill would you like to see for War gladiators?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Down And Dangerous - a skill that helps downed gladiators fight from the ground.

8 40.00%
  • Some kind of offensive skill instead.

9 45.00%
  • Other: Explain below in your post.

3 15.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Is down and dangerous supposed to be a variety type skill that can be used as an 'alternative style' to add an extra dimension to the way wars fight, like what Oedi is saying?
    Oedi is on the right track. I'm not sure what you mean by 'alternative style' though. Down And Dangerous helps alleviate many of the negative affects of being on the ground which in essence makes it a defensive and offensive skill. The fact that is helps a war glad get back up doesn't negate the skill as they'll still find themselves on the ground until they are able to stand back up. I'll look at making the description more clear.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Currently the plan is to offer War gladiators a skill that helps them mitigate the negative affects of fighting on the ground.
    I have no clear understanding for many aspects of POW yet (The mechanics of skills and strategies are simple for using, but POW is really complex game for me, so it's a great game). But as i can see right now, Down And Dangerous skill might be useful for both offensive and defensive styles. That skill might give us some flexibility. While an abstract "offensive skill" might give only abstract offensive advantages.
    So, that's my vote.
    Last edited by weaw; 08-26-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Voting for down and dangerous because I'd like to see it in action before passing judgement. If it allows activated skills to trigger when on the ground, I think that'd brilliant (even if it makes for weird flavour with DFA :P ) but whatever else Nate has planned for it could be really neat too Regardless, it seems like it could be a nice skill that can be used for offense AND defense, depending on how you structure the rest of your skills. I like that.

Even if it ends up being a more defensive skill, that's still cool IMO. If people want proper offensive Wars, they can always dabble into the rage tree.

Also, if Down and Dangerous becomes some sort of offensive skill, I dont ever want to hear people piss and moan that "ermagerd, my war is always prone, which means auto lose, so fix prone"
    Last edited by Apoca1ypse; 08-26-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

I voted for the down and dangerous. My thought on this is.... Folks are making IMO a rash judgement when they don't know how this will work. I for one will go with someone who has thought this through and tested it to see if it benefits the players. This does give an element of great benefit to the biggest weakness of the war glads which is being grounded.
    I do believe that the offensive war is the weakest high end build in the game right now. Not enough ump to get through the defensive wars, and sitting ducks against the speed theatrics and all rages.
    Manager of Stables : Lil Ludis and Alpha Team

Hall of Legends Gladiators : My True Legends
    Delta - Blood Games Champion and Undisputed Primus winner.
    Summit - Undisputed Primus Winner.
    Echo - Undisputed Primus Winner
    Foxtrot - Blood Games Champion and Undisputed Primus Winner
    Sliver - 2hand Rage Killing Machine
    Eruption - Multiple time runner up and 3rd places of the Blood Games. Undisputed Primus Winner and long time occupant of the throne of the arena.

Haven't voted, looking for some answers about the skill.

Down And Dangerous - As a master of the War specialty, your gladiator has learned most fights will go to the ground. While others struggle to fight while prone, your gladiator welcomes it. Knowing how to angle and position themselves boosts the effectiveness of their armour and defense allowing them to actively attack when they want. Quickly getting back up to their feet is another bonus awarded to your gladiator.

Knowing how to angle and position themselves boosts the effectiveness of their armour and defense allowing them to actively attack when they want.
    Does this apply only to the glad while prone or while standing as well?

I'll echo Apoc's comment. The skill looks good to me. War glads who want more firepower can dump points into the Rage tree, that's why we have the ability to create hybrid builds anyway.
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

I'm voting for Down and Dangerous...with some suggestions. Down and Dangerous seems to me to have good potential for an offensive war build. If it added a small boost to attack power and damage that might be even better (otherwise full war tier glads just don't have the offense to punch through defensive glads defenses.)

I do wonder about the "activated" tier 6 skills - Entangle and Down & Dirty - that only trigger on special attacks or under special circumstances. Seems a big disadvantage to the "always on" tier 6 skills. I imagine Nate has buffed them accordingly so they are competitive.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Actually, what if we incorporated down and dangerous into a broader offensive tier 6 skill? One that really shifts the war into an offensive glad. For example: Bonuses to attack power and damage and initiative that are on passively. The added bonus at rank 10 is that if the glad gets knocked down, they fight just as effectively as if standing up.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Thanks for all the participation everyone, I appreciate it! It's always awesome to see the players get involved! Looks like given the current description things are split almost down the middle. Given those results we'll move forward as planned and I think those wanting a different offensive minded skill will find this helps the offense of a war gladiator indirectly as well. I have a fight simulator that can run thousands of fights in seconds and I use it to test how skills fair and I'm happy with the results returned and think many of you will be as well.

I've re-wrote the description for Down & Dangerous to better reflect its true ability which will hopefully convey its meaning more accurately, and to clear up any questions, this skill only works when the gladiator is prone:

Down And Dangerous
    - As a master of the War specialty, your gladiator has learned most fights will go to the ground. While others struggle to fight when prone, your gladiator welcomes it and doesn't suffer the same penalties. Knowing how to move, angle and position themselves while down keeps their offense deadly, their defense solid and helps them to seize opportunities to stand up more easily.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

I guess what I was asking as a 'fighting style' is whether it is a skill that allows you to go to ground out of your own choice, you know, like guys taking a dive on purpose in soccer.
    My wars for example almost never gets sent to the ground(less than 1 in 10 fights), so if I can't 'choose' to go to ground out of my own choice, this skill will be a complete waste for my guys if I picked it.

If it can only be used when down and cannot be actively triggered by yourself to dive to ground, as it seems from the description, then I doubt there are enough war managers out there who can trip over often enough to make good use of this skill. Heavily encumbered tanks with shields would probably be the only group that can use it regularly enough, and that's a rather small group to justify a tier 6 skill for.

If my take above is correct, then I'd rather have a different offence skill.
    Last edited by Alba Kebab; 08-28-2014 at 07:12 AM.