Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree non-HOL glads can be competitive when properly managed, but for me (and others, I suspect), it is more psychological - knowing HOLs have a slight competitive advantage and all (every bit matters in blood gods)
    Adoede | Tevrosin

I understand where you are coming from. The Human mind is a fascinating and complicated machine. I hope to one day find mine...it has been so long since I lost it!

I've actually thought about what could help PoW get more mainstream appeal, and that is to make the game more visual - make things more graphic-based instead of text-based, that will involve a lot of $$$.
    Though I don't work in the gaming industry, I do know that kind of investment, short of a large charitable donation from a rich patron, is unrealistic for the niche genre that PoW occupies.
    and PoW does have a quality standard to maintain for its graphics, so no cheap 2pixel stick figures.

As a hardcore strategy fan, I'm happy with PoW as it is. But most people are visual creatures and respond better to graphics or at least graphics with text.
    Last edited by Alba Kebab; 08-04-2014 at 02:07 AM.

I will say as a new active player. The whole Hol glad thing is pretty disheartening to think about. Not only do the older players just have more experience more resources but then they also have gladiators who are quite superior to mine. Bah

Theonlystd

It's actually gotten much easier to get access to HOL glads. Used to be only for glads who retired with +55% win/loss after 1500 fights...Nowadays, it is down to 1000 fights and the percentage needed goes down the more fights you have (as low as 30-something percent win/loss for glads with lots of fights). That means eventually everyone can access the HOL glads.

Think of the time spent earning your first HOL glad as padawan-training and it's not so bad. If you use trophies for the doubling of training points and arena tokens you can retire a glad in about two months or so...
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Don't let the others get you down. HoL glads have better stats yes, but they are not so far superior as to be unbalanced or unbeatable. They are also rare, the vast majority of your matchups will not be against them. There are original non-HoL gladiators alive today that do well. Think of it as something to aspire towards, not a roadblock.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Quote Originally Posted by Adoede View Post
    Theonlystd

It's actually gotten much easier to get access to HOL glads. Used to be only for glads who retired with +55% win/loss after 1500 fights...Nowadays, it is down to 1000 fights and the percentage needed goes down the more fights you have (as low as 30-something percent win/loss for glads with lots of fights). That means eventually everyone can access the HOL glads.

Think of the time spent earning your first HOL glad as padawan-training and it's not so bad. If you use trophies for the doubling of training points and arena tokens you can retire a glad in about two months or so...
    I understand what you are saying but this game is already decidedly slow paced, then your telling new players they can look at 2 months of "padawaning" at least even if they pay is a lot to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Don't let the others get you down. HoL glads have better stats yes, but they are not so far superior as to be unbalanced or unbeatable. They are also rare, the vast majority of your matchups will not be against them. There are original non-HoL gladiators alive today that do well. Think of it as something to aspire towards, not a roadblock.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-
    Yea I get that but ultimately when you boil it down my non Hol guys are at a disadvantage. Part of its human nature as you referred to earlier in the thread but I really can't help but think no matter what I do the guys I'm using atm don't have the same potential.

You have no disadvantage if you are not fighting against HoL opponents repeatedly, and for regular gladiators, most of the times you won't be.
    If you think your disadvantage is how far you get to advance in the game, then we can tell you right now it takes a lot more than just a HoL gladiator(or not) to reach the top.
    This is a strategy game, your strategy is the most important part. You can have the most expensive HoL slave there is and run him with a bad strategy and he'll still suck.

As for being a slow game, it works better so you can have a life.
    Last edited by Alba Kebab; 08-13-2014 at 04:52 AM.