Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Stable Servant
    Which Blood God Level warrior is going to go 35-0 against other Blood God warriors in order to collect 2500BGP? You booted the sandbaggers, so now the young warriors will win the vast majority of them. Has anyone ever won 2500BGP in the pit fights?

Avengelyn, manager of Lethal Formula

Stable Servant
    Quote Originally Posted by FrosteeFyre View Post
    This is referring to skill points earned, right? Also, would it not make more sense to reward more points to the very close fights' winners? In real life, the tougher the fight is on your warrior, the more skill they earn, as opposed to say a HoL dominating a 10% w/l abandoned gladiator? Just my thoughts on the matter, it would also promote strong Stables battling each other for risk/reward (in the form of skill points) as opposed to picking on new/abandoned Stables.
    No its not about skill points, rather the amount of rank points you gain from thrashing someone in an arena battle. The reason for the change is make it much harder to sandbag a warrior with Tavern fights to W/L records of 100-0 and beyond. Case in point, Dirt Bath just took his first loss after being rocketed out of the Jugs bracket earlier this morning.

While i do agree with the change being a good one for the game, i'm miffed about the timing none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengelyn View Post
    Getting matched up against the same warrior every time in the pit fights is going to lead to a collusion problem, and sooner than later. What if, for example, i happened to run North Point as well as Lethal Formula in the scenario where Pile Driver was guaranteed to fight Lady Mary and the reverse? I could easily make it so both went undefeated in the pits doing that correct? Also, if i know for certain Pile Driver is going to draw Lady Mary 100% of the time, i could alter strategies to specifically deal with that one warrior.

These things are just from the hip, i'm sure someone will come up with something more nefarious and soon if that isnt changed.

I'm not too worried about this because I believe most players will not do this, and if some players do and it is discovered they will be dealt with. For whatever reason PoW's players and by extension its community have been amazing and we haven't suffered a lot of the toxic behavior many online games do. For that I am always grateful and thankful and it is a testament to the character of our player base. Some gladiators in a small matchup pool right now because they have a lot more skill points than normal for their level will see their pools expand shortly as their level increases and their skill points do not or not too much. Fighting the same gladiator in the pit fights is temporary for those affected most by the change and new gladiators coming up the ranks will be unable to reach the same level:skill point ratio and will not experience this.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    If you enjoy a slower play style, you can still play that way if you like, nothing is preventing you from doing so. If you enjoy being more passive in the arena and more active in the other areas of the game that is still possible.
    I fail to see how nothing is preventing me from doing so. You yourself have looked at my play style and decided it was unbalancing your game and have now, with this update, prevented me from playing that way. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that you have every right. It's your game and you have to do what you feel is best. I'm not going to whine or complain. But this has ended the way I played the game. And so I bid you adieu. Not mad, but a bit saddened by the loss of a game I loved for years. Best of luck to you all in the pits.

@ Avengelyn, manager of Lethal Formula, I'll reset my stable on the way out to remove Lady Mary from the Black Market. Hope this helps you out a little at least.
    ....... /\/ orth Point
    ....../,,,,\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Gladiatorial Academies
    ..../,,,,,,,,\
    ../S o u t h\ Point

Quote Originally Posted by JerimyA5 View Post
    I fail to see how nothing is preventing me from doing so. You yourself have looked at my play style and decided it was unbalancing your game and have now, with this update, prevented me from playing that way. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that you have every right. It's your game and you have to do what you feel is best. I'm not going to whine or complain. But this has ended the way I played the game. And so I bid you adieu. Not mad, but a bit saddened by the loss of a game I loved for years. Best of luck to you all in the pits.

@ Avengelyn, manager of Lethal Formula, I'll reset my stable on the way out to remove Lady Mary from the Black Market. Hope this helps you out a little at least.
    Thanks for taking the time to write your post, I appreciate it. Let me clarify the statement you've quoted. Those players who were leveling their gladiators slowly by avoiding the arena and only using the tavern and other non-arena areas of the game can still do that the same as before. The day to day activities of logging in doing tavern runs, engaging in the non-arena areas of the game and not using their fight tokens remains exactly the same. Nothing prevents a player from playing the game in that way. The only difference is the end result will not produce an unbalanced gladiator with a large skill point advantage over other gladiators who did not do that and I think we can all agree that is a good thing. I hope that helps clarify what I meant.

I'm always sad to see a player go, however, if the recent change removed all the fun for you then it is understandable that you would think about moving on. I of course encourage you to stick around and I think you'll find all the fundamental things that drew you in and that you love about the game are all still there. If I am mistaken in that belief, I wish you well and hope that you find another game in the near future that brings you the same amount of enjoyment or more that PoW did for all these years. The Great Realm and the Pits will always welcome you should you decide to return one day.

Good luck outside the Pit!

-Nate-

Thanks for taking the time to write your post, I appreciate it. Let me clarify the statement you've quoted. Those players who were leveling their gladiators slowly by avoiding the arena and only using the tavern and other non-arena areas of the game can still do that the same as before. The day to day activities of logging in doing tavern runs, engaging in the non-arena areas of the game and not using their fight tokens remains exactly the same. Nothing prevents a player from playing the game in that way. The only difference is the end result will not produce an unbalanced gladiator with a large skill point advantage over other gladiators who did not do that and I think we can all agree that is a good thing. I hope that helps clarify what I meant.
    I can, kind of, see your point But let me say it this way. Nothing prevented any other player in the game from slow leveling glads the same way I did. The only thing that made it unbalancing, from my point of view, was that most other Stable Masters lacked the patience to do the same. If all of us did it that way the balance would have been unaffected. Am I wrong here somehow?
    ....... /\/ orth Point
    ....../,,,,\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Gladiatorial Academies
    ..../,,,,,,,,\
    ../S o u t h\ Point

Stable Servant
    Sigh...

First off it truly sucks that North Point is quitting PoW over this unfortunate situation.

Nate, by saying we can still slow play our warriors, your being completely disingenuous. Obviously we can mechanically still do it, thanks for pointing that out for us, however, the combination of changes you put in SEVERELY impacts that style of play from a competitive nature and you know that full well. We are near guaranteed to fail in the Pit, we can't effectively place & adjust the "extra" skills we have, and we now rocket up the charts for winning.

NP is correct in pointing out that everyone else had the opportunity to play the same way and declined for whatever reason. SOTC ran his new HoL all the way to Blood God's in Pile Driver's lifetime, obviously his premium was on getting to end game. My premium was on stable record and winning in the Pits, and I learned how to do it from others who performed it fully without being villified.

While I agree the changes you make are best for the game, the way you go about it sucks. The 2 day warning you provided should have been 2 months. I would have been just as hot at other changes you've done if I had been directly affected by them. If i had wasted a huge amount of time (and potentially real dollars) fine tuning gear from endless Conquest runs only to have you bump the cap to 55 like you did I'm not sure I would be here typing this, I give the guys at the top credit for not blowing up on that one.

BTW North Point, thanks for the gesture but minus Lady Mary, I might end up fighting someone 5 levels or more above me, who knows...

Avengelyn, Manager of Lethal Formula

I know I've PM'd you nate, but I want to chime in publicly that some of the updates have rubbed me the wrong way. The content doesnt worry me, as I think that they're great changes for the most part. What has bothered me is the timing of them.

I personally dislike that the rating calculations and the fight rewards have changed 2/3 the way into the season. I know I'm mainly disgruntled by this because Ahhnold is looking like he's going to lose this season, but after putting in time/money/effort to get him (comfortably) on top only to have things pulled out from under his feet sucks. I've already missed out on 10 fight tokens since the kill reward system changed, and I was surviving on tokens from kills to keep up with the extra fights SOTC gets due to his pool of round robin opponents compared to mine. For those wondering, he is able to receive more challenges, in the order of about 10-12 more a week, which is a lot when fine margins are involved.

The level cap increase also threw some things out in a way that is harder for me to explain, but basically, some of the close matchups became way harder as there are now gladiators in full lvl 51 getups running around. A w/l drop from 80.1% to 78.6% doesnt seem like much, but its quite noticeable for ratings. Again, this is just something I would have preferred to have been put in place at the commencement of the next season.

The change to Pit Fight pairing pleases me greatly, and I've been looking forward to something like that for a while as it was nearly impossible to beat North Point and Lethal Formula, to the point that I gave up on pit fights. I know other managers did the same. I totally get that they had a vested interest in Pit Fights though, and I think that a bigger heads up would have been nice for their sake. At least 2 weeks or so. I do hope that JerimyA5 and Avengelyn stick around in some capacity despite these changes.

I would like to note that some of us older managers had tried to slow level and sandbag, but Nate put in a system to stop it so some degree about 18-24 months ago. He prevented gladiators from earning training points from tavern fights unless they were issuing a minimum number of challenges a week (or something like that) which stopped us from what we were doing back then. None of us revisited it as the new system felt so nerfed, and we got the message that sandbagging the pits was frowned upon. I personally didnt know that it was still so viable until I saw your gladiators doing it. Also, at least you guys got to reap the benefits of it for a while. I doubt anyone else has anywhere near the same level of pit fight wins to brag about

TLDR: What's done is done, and as always we will adjust. For future updates that can really affect play styles and season outcomes, more of a heads up would be appreciated.

/end rant
    Last edited by Apoca1ypse; 07-31-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

I personally dislike that the rating calculations and the fight rewards have changed 2/3 the way into the season.
    As you know the Blood Gods bracket is not the same as the rest of the arena and the way gladiators are ranked is completely different. As such, the recent update did not affect the Blood Gods algorithm at all. Trophies being favored as rewards for kills instead of fight tokens affects everyone equally and I'm pretty sure everyone likes getting trophies. Ahhnold will continue to do an awesome job this Season I'm sure and the top spot will be a highly competitive race I look forward to watching.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

I can, kind of, see your point But let me say it this way. Nothing prevented any other player in the game from slow leveling glads the same way I did. The only thing that made it unbalancing, from my point of view, was that most other Stable Masters lacked the patience to do the same. If all of us did it that way the balance would have been unaffected. Am I wrong here somehow?
    In this particular case, yes that assumption is incorrect. If all players avoided the arena no gladiators would ever fight in the arena. If nobody used their fight tokens nobody's gladiators would ever get matched up and no gladiators would enter the arena gates. The game would then become a single player game where gladiators only fought against NPC characters in the tavern, arena challenges, etc and the only PVP would be in the Black Market Pit Fights and if that was the case it should be called Jimmy's Pit of War and JPoW just doesn't quite roll off the tongue like PoW! Pit of War is first and foremost a PvP game about gladiatorial combat in the arena. The arena is the central focus of the game for obvious reasons. For a game about a Great Arena and gladiatorial combat I think you can see how and why this breaks down.

I understand your frustration though, nobody likes change and we all hate it even more when that change directly affects us. Hopefully you can now see why this change was made and why it was necessary.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-