Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sorry I was in my cage eating. I just took a look at the chat log. Sorry if my example confused anyone. I was just trying to illustrate how the mechanic worked with a simple example. Looks like it didn't go over so well. In any case, yes everyone's trophy balance has been increased by a multiple of 40 along with many things in the game to keep it equal. As I mentioned in the original post some prices went up many went down.

It is important to note that you did not lose any buying power during this change. As the tide went up, so did all the boats. The only difference is some things cost a little bit more now and many things cost a lot less. In addition it is far easier to win and find trophies in the game now.

If you still don't understand or have any questions, please send me a message and I'll be happy to go over it with you.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

I went ahead and made a quick list of the things off the top of my head that increased in price and decreased in price to help those of you who are concerned about this change. If you don't see something here it is either the same as before or I missed it.

PRICE DECREASED
    - Auto running arena fights
    - Auto running pit fights
    - Auto running tavern contracts
    - Energy Potions
    - Cycle Blacksmith's items
    - Cycle Slaves
    - Unlearn Skill
    - Achievement slots 3 & 4
    - Remove locked achievements
    - Skip Resting Timer in Conquests (this is a massive drop)

PRICE INCREASED
    - The Champion's 3 Pack Membership Special (minor 10% increase)
    - Scouting Report
    - Street Games Refresh Board
    - Reset Ally Cooldown in Conquests
    - Reset Ally Cooldown in The Gauntlet
    - Achievement slots 5 & 6
    - Skip the time to identify an item (this now decreases as time goes by instead of a fixed price)

BONUSES
    - Daily Login Trophy Bonus increased around 175%
    - Refer-A-Friend Trophy Reward increased
    - Massive increase in frequency for trophy drops and rewards in the arena and pit fights to the point where most of you will be far better off than before. To be honest I'm afraid I might have been too generous with this, time will tell. I read an article that said if you are generous with your players, they will be generous with you. Let's hope it was right!

Hope this helps some of you. The reason for the changes was increased flexibility for pricing and bonuses and the majority of the discounts were implemented to better help players engage with more areas of the game. As I mentioned in the original post, Pit of War has become massively more expensive to operate over the years, far more than I ever imagined. If someone told me a few years ago that some companies would be willing to pay what they are currently paying just to have someone install or try out their free game I would have laughed hysterically, yet here we are, and these are the giants indie devs must contend with when competing for ad network bandwidth. As customers we don't generally care about the problems of the companies we do business with and I fully understand that. I tell you all of this to simply to let you all know the factors behind these changes. If you enjoy playing PoW and would like to continue enjoying it for many years to come, please consider supporting the game by purchasing trophies. Pit of War is really more of a service at this point rather than a simple game, and as such continued support is appreciated. As always, I thank everyone who supports the game, and even for those who do not support it financially I appreciate and thank you for choosing to play Pit of War when there are literally millions of games available now at the touch of a button. Cheers!

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Stable Servant
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Sorry I was in my cage eating. I just took a look at the chat log. Sorry if my example confused anyone. I was just trying to illustrate how the mechanic worked with a simple example. Looks like it didn't go over so well. In any case, yes everyone's trophy balance has been increased by a multiple of 40 along with many things in the game to keep it equal. As I mentioned in the original post some prices went up many went down.

It is important to note that you did not lose any buying power during this change. As the tide went up, so did all the boats. The only difference is some things cost a little bit more now and many things cost a lot less. In addition it is far easier to win and find trophies in the game now.

If you still don't understand or have any questions, please send me a message and I'll be happy to go over it with you.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Confusion wouldn’t be my first choice of words, since to me that implies that all the information was there to be seen, but simply got misinterpreted. In Nate’s unedited version of this announcement, the number 40 was simply not present at all.

For me the confusion began AFTER I was informed by the other players, in chat, that it looked to them like the number was 40X. Why not use 10X, 50X, or even 100X, why the 40X? Seemingly even Nate felt that way on some level since he used 10X as his example in place of the real number (40X).

We then started to focus on what the various trophy costs were, using this 40X as our basis for what was cheaper, or more expensive, to support this “Tides & Boats” ideal. By and large, with some exceptions, things seem somewhat in line….until you get around to checking the bank.

Yes, the tide does raise all boats, until you need to buy more boats.

Simply put, if you buy your trophies in lots of $100 as I do, the number you should be using instead for comparison is 22.4X, offset to a small degree by the increase in free tokens added to pit fights etc.

The math:

Previous Rate: $100 for 1,250 trophies (800 + 450 free), or 12.5 trophies per $1.

New Rate: $100 for 28,000 trophies (20,000 + 8,000 free), or 280 trophies per $1.

12.5 X 40 is 500, not 280.

This represents a SUBSTANTIAL rise in the cost to play the game if you continued to play it as you have, assuming you buy trophies at all. If you buy your trophies in lots of less than $100, your number is even more unfavorable.

Now everything is crystal clear to me and I’m totally cool with the changes, though I would have preferred Nate just calling it what it was, which is a simply a price hike.

I’d much rather Nate raise the price and be able to update & improve the game than the alternative.

By the way, it does appear from first impressions though that if you engage in Conquests, you’ll need more trophies or more time. I had 1 warrior on my team die on hard level, and the timer was 9 full minutes with every membership enabled, brutal….

Until our various price points are reached (or until Nate decides I’m not worth the trouble), I’ll see you in the Pit….

Avengelyn, Manager of Lethal Formula
    Last edited by Avengelyn; 07-20-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it. Again my apologies if the announcement was not clear and caused you trouble. In hindsight I'm sure it could have been written better. Generally the way I have always made announcements is to give a brief summary and then let the players poke around and see all the changes. I certainly wasn't hiding anything as all the information is available in the game for players to see and check out at their leisure, and in this case do any math they would like to if so inclined. I would caution doing straight calculations because due to the fact that many prices have dropped dramatically and a lot of free trophies are entering the game the straight back of the napkin math doesn't tell the whole story. I'm confident most players are going to end up better off than before.

Everyone plays the game differently and this change effects each person differently based on play style, as such if anyone would like to continue this discussion or has any feedback or questions please send me a PM here on the forums and I'll be happy to help.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Training Dummy
    Hmm..just looked over the changes and the thing I spend the most on...the elite 6 pack has gone up about 50% in price. It used to cost me about 6 dollars and now it will cost 10.50 ish for two weeks. This is based on 280 shields for a dollar under new system if you buy the 100 dollar pack. While this is fine...I understand the need to raise costs. I do think it is disingenuous to say costs havent changed. While I do appreciate getting more shields for doing stuff I really dont think its gonna eliminate that much of the extra cost

Rokchewer, manger of Team Triangle and Soul Maidens

I'm absolutely on board with whatever financing Nate needs to do to make this game viable long-term. In fact, I wouldn't mind if Nate moved to support the whole game through ad revenue and increased ad presence significantly in the game - even for those of us with the accountant upgrade. I'd take that trade-off if it meant Nate didn't have to worry about finances and could focus solely on gameplay matters. I've always had mixed feelings about the trophy system anyway and how people could use it to buy advantages in the game. I'd prefer a truly level playing field any day. If more ads lets Nate create that environment, I'm all for it.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Training Dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoede View Post
    I'm absolutely on board with whatever financing Nate needs to do to make this game viable long-term. In fact, I wouldn't mind if Nate moved to support the whole game through ad revenue and increased ad presence significantly in the game - even for those of us with the accountant upgrade. I'd take that trade-off if it meant Nate didn't have to worry about finances and could focus solely on gameplay matters. I've always had mixed feelings about the trophy system anyway and how people could use it to buy advantages in the game. I'd prefer a truly level playing field any day. If more ads lets Nate create that environment, I'm all for it.
    I totally agree..more ads wouldnt bother me much as long as they are done on side bars and such and not popping up in your face. I certainly want Nate to keep the game going and love most of the updates he has done in the last six months or so.

Free Citizen
    So basically we're getting the opportunity to earn trophies at a higher rate, we just need to earn forty instead of the original one. Seems like a fair deal indeed Nate.

300k for a Legendary armour piece identification... Nate, I think you outdid yourself in some areas. Combined with the increased repair and healing costs, I don't really see how can I maintain more than 1 gladiator (max 2) in Blood Gods without switching to a de facto monthly payment. Maybe using the rest of the Barrack slots for gold mules but that will essentially result in grinding just to survive financially.

nate, i have 3600 trophies right now but i cant upgrade my doctor to lvl 3. is there a new requeriment to get doctor to lvl 3? or its a bug? thanks

forget it, today the option is available
    Last edited by ahroun; 07-22-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: fixed