Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why I love Pit of War and what is amazing about the game

Spent some time reading the other thread about what is "wrong" with the game and was going to comment on it. Instead I decided not to because I didn't agree with the tone and how most of it was being said. I also didn't particularly agree with much of the subject matter. I sat in front of my computer and started to compile my own list of items that I thought could be improved upon and then compiled a list of items that I thought were great with the game. The list of items I love about the game was much longer and much easier to create. When looking back at my list of things I think needed improving upon it looked small and inconsequential.

Nate, I'm going to first start off by saying thank you for making such an amazing game. Pit of War has provided me with years of enjoyment and your dedication to the community and to the game is unparalleled in my opinion. I am looking forward to many more years of fun. I am a small business owner myself and know the trial and tribulations we go through on daily basis and the difficulties of balancing the needs of everything we are responsible for. I think you have done a fantastic job and even though nobody around here says it very often I think most of them agree and appreciate your efforts.

Here is my list of things I love about the game in no particular order.

1. The amazing depth of play. I haven't encountered very many games with the the depth of play PoW has. It is truly mind blowing when I think about all the possible permutations of builds, gear, strategies, race selection and so on.

2. Your unbelievable customer service. I can't remember the number of times I've sent you a PM and you responded within 10 or 20 minutes and helped fix whatever was the issue.

3. Gorgeous artwork. When I first saw the art in PoW it floored me. Many years on and I still find myself pausing from time to time to admire it.

4. The attention to detail in the fight engine. I noticed that when a spite is fighting a trug many of the spite's attacks hit the trug's legs and rarely do they hit the head. Makes sense given their height difference. The same holds true when a glad is on the ground attacking the standing glad.

5. The incredible level of thought you put into even the smallest things. When the gauntlet was released I noticed that each race had a logical pattern for their name. Some of them were hard to pronounce but it was clear that you were thinking about the culture of that race and that they probably had their own language and hence their own pattern of naming their offspring.

6. The backstory and lore of the great realm. In a handful of paragraphs and web pages you have managed to create a more compelling and better backdrop and mythology than many books I have read and movies I've watched. I was showing PoW to some friends of mine and one of them said that if this was a d20 series he'd love to GM a campaign for it. My other friend said he'd love to see a movie in the great realm. I believe the words he used was Conan meets Gladiator produced by legendary pictures and directed by Ridley Scott.

7. Game balance. In a PvP game with thousands and thousands of permutations for characters the game has always been incredibly balanced. It has never been perfect but it has always been within the spectrum of acceptability. I played World of Warcraft for many years and their team of dedicated employees who were tasked with balancing the arena didn't do a better job than you have as one person.

8. Your availability to the community. I am able to directly speak with you on the forum or through a PM and you always make time and listen. I can't say that for most of the games I play. Most you can not reach the actual developers and others you have to go through levels of gate keepers and still you'll never reach the developers. Even when players write the "if you don't meet my demands I'm going to quit" posts you are still incredibly diplomatic and try and find a solution. Those were always fun posts to read on the WoW forums. I think I saw them officially replied to a total number of 0 times.

9. The flexibly and freedom built into the game giving me the ability to decide how to play the game. For the better part of 3 years I have only managed 1 or 2 glads at a time. Sometimes I'm asked why. It is because for me that is what I have time for. When I got more time in the past I went as high as 3 glads. Many games don't have this sort of option. If I want to play PoW more casually yet do everything and be competitive I can with only 1 or 2 glads. If I want to be hardcore and spend all day playing I can also do that. I don't ever see myself being able to manage multiple teams but I think it is cool that for players who do want to do that they can.

10. I appreciate how when you add new features to the game they are usually optional. If I want to just play the core game loop I can. For example the current topic of gearing. If I want to gear fast I can spend time running the gauntlet and doing conquests. If I don't care how fast I gear I can stick to the arena and blood games. For me I'm not bothered by it as I'm here for the long haul.

11. As the owner of the oldest glad in the game and from an era where starting glads had very low attribute scores I still feel competitive at the top level of the game even though Thunder Lips is not a HoL slave and is not kitted out in the best gear yet. The old girl usually hovers around the middle of the pack in blood gods surrounded by giants and often she takes the top glads down who are HoL slaved and kitted out. I'd like to think part of that has to do with my skill. I also think it has a lot to do with fine tuning on your part to make sure a good balance is still present.

12. You are always trying to make everyone happy. Personally I think this is a mistake and will only cause you stress. I salute you for your efforts though.

13. Over the years the game has been made more and more accessible to everyone. It is now at a point where a new player can join the game and reach the end, acquire the best gear without ever paying a dime and be competitive. In the beginning it wasn't like that. I remember when purples could only be bought with trophies. It will take longer of course but that is just how these types of games work. I can't tell you how many games I stopped playing because a paywall was slammed down. I should also add I've never felt pressured to spend money and you've never been slimy or deceptive like Zynga. Every time I buy trophies I do so willingly and happily knowing I'm supporting a hobby I enjoy.

14. Despite being a team of one Pit of War looks and feels like an entire team is behind it. I still don't understand how you do it.

15. The level of detail in the fight engine is amazing. I have learned more about the game by reading my fights and other player's fights. After all these years I still read many of my fights and find them exciting. I think Narol once said the best graphics engine is your imagination and I agree!

16. Being able to be apart of the game. I have sent you countless messages about PoW. When a new features is introduced that I messaged you about it feels great to know I had a small part in it. The blood games was one such idea I threw your way and it is one of my favorite parts of the game. I don't think I've even gotten a reply from the other games I play other than the typical canned copy and paste message.

I'm sure I could come up with more but this is what I have after a short brainstorming session. I've gone back and reread the other thread and tried to pierce through the bitching and distill it down to the core issues some are having. I have sent you a PM detailing what I think may be the cause and some possible ways to address them.
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

Nicely written and I agree with many of the points.

I think the patience/expectation of the players is a important factor in how much they appreciate/dislike a long game like PoW, some of the persistent complaints some players bring up seems to stem more from a "I don't want to play a long game or slog through a few months, I want to win NOW!" mentality rather than anything else. The one constant demand I see seem to be the constant demand for PoW to turn into a more 'fast-food' style game rather than a steady long-term game, unfortunate but I guess it can't be helped.

Kudos to Dainoji for this great post so full of Truth !

We love you Nate for all the work and dedication you have put in making this great game, and if we grumble sometimes it's just because we love it so much that we want it to be even better and absolutely perfect !

PS : I don't kiss but you can have a hug !
    Team Bloody Tigers : Siam (Winner BG 13 and BG 21),Sonja Tigarion (#10 BG 22), Ty Rex (#5 BG 13 and BG 22), Slim Shadow, Master Puss

Agreed with Narol. One of the reasons this forum exists is so that players can express their experience with the game - both positive and frustrating in the hopes that the experience can be improved for everyone. Nate has done an admirable job of balancing his own vision for the game with an amazing level of openness to the community to contribute to the fine-tuning of the beta-elements of the game. I haven't seen that in a developer before and I think most have a growing respect for Nate because of it.

Selfishly, I do care if veterans I've come to know and value over the last few months are beginning to lose their simple pleasure in the game only because I value their friendship and their voice here in this forum community. And as anyone here who is married knows, the first rule to keeping good relationships is good communication - and that only happens with good listening that validates the concerns of others. It may come in whiny packages, but the concerns are heartfelt and I'm thankful these managers are expressing their thoughts rather than disconnecting and simply withdrawing from the community.

p.s. - Anyone else notice the mini-exodus from blood gods of most of the new managers that had remained in Xaal-zul this season?
    Last edited by Adoede; 04-24-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Gamers are a passionate lot and demand the best. My promise to the community from the very beginning is and still is that I'll always give my best as long as I can.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

I really enjoyed the learning curve of this game. Sometimes I flip back to my retired glads and look at their strats. I'm always amazed at how much my understanding of strategies has changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoede View Post
    p.s. - Anyone else notice the mini-exodus from blood gods of most of the new managers that had remained in Xaal-zul this season?
    That's supposed to happen. Here's a little of my experience:
    Back when BG didn't exist and Primus was the top, I sold/retired 3-4 glads in a row on reaching Primus because they just didn't cut it.
    It took me 6 months+ to be able to send a glad into primus that could actually stay there.
    I'm pretty sure other managers can tell you similar experiences.
    You need to man up and grow a pair mate.

Ha, don't need another pair of those

I know newer managers might give up on their glads who have trouble in blood gods - I did the same with all my non-HOL glads. My point was just that I hoped the new managers weren't getting turned off to the game because of the the unfair fight-queues Xaal-zul faced last season. A bunch of those glads that disappeared had near 2000 fights...a bit long to hold onto inferior builds, wouldn't you say?
    Adoede | Tevrosin

At first this was just a way to kill time while working. Yet after coming back to it on and off I always found interest in playing it more and trying more tactics. At first I just used Humans and I got my glad's asses smashed. Then I tried Eldar who managed to get to champion tier in a few weeks. They worked well until I got busy and couldn't play as much now so much has changed they're now kinda crappy. Like a stable I'm friends with is now top in Primus yet I've hit a wall in Champion. So after I came back again I wanted to try something new so I made my second War Glad and I had a plan of what I wanted for her. Except now looking at her stats she would have been a much better at Theatrics. She's doing well in the Juggernaut tier.

Yet my best experience since playing has to be my first Urk glad Kodruk Gorehand. I read up on how to build Rage glads better and learned why my first three hit a wall it's because I should have kept them simple. My Urk wins with just brute force and I been happy that I've see him hit an injured War in the chest for over 700hp before he even got to level 20.

The artwork and detail to everything always keeps me wanting to fight more then ever. The first time I saw The Butcher I knew I was gonna be hooked on this game.

From a scrubby Manager Nate you really put your soul into this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainoji View Post
    My other friend said he'd love to see a movie in the great realm. I believe the words he used was Conan meets Gladiator produced by legendary pictures and directed by Ridley Scott.
    I approve.