Dual Wield Speed Wars / Duelmasters Players!

Quote Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
    Ya could try 80-20 theatrics tree with it, I haven't done that yet~
    I tried 70/20/10 war-theatrics-rage

War: B, BH, DFA, WC, AM, NSD, LAAF
    Theatrics: CS, CP
    Rage: DP

His defense wasn't good enough to stop the opponents attacks. And being a Spite, his offense was also surprisingly weak.

And I've found that it's a lot harder to get heavy armor pieces with the stat boosts that I want - most of them have +size bonus...which seems to kill the item budget thing Pit Lord spoke of.

It could just be that I didn't know how to optimize his strats...or that I didn't wait long enough for him to get suitable gear...maybe I should switch him to medium armor...I'm sure if SOTC ran him he'd be in the top 10
    Last edited by Adoede; 03-12-2014 at 07:46 AM.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

I have one of these coming up myself.

I was going to try:

10-50-40 myself in medium armor

10 Devistation Power
    10 Blade, 10 Battle hardened, 10 DFA, 10 Armor Move, 10 Never Say Die
    10 Aimed Blow, 10 Feint, 10 GV, 10 Hamstring
    Manager of the Gold Stables: Ab and Ba Gold

Aimed blow, eh. You wouldn't perchance have played Duelmasters back in the day, would you? I used to love that game...
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Haha yup i did, for several years.

One of the reasons i like running defensive warriors, my scum from that game would have fights that took a box for them to mail me the results, eventually they just started sending the 1st and last page of the fights.

Unarmed Aimed Blows where another thing i kept trying, of course i always made them with 21 wit and def so they would have like a 7 str and 3 con and would die in the first 20 fights.

I think there are a lot of former Duelmasters players here.

I even considered running some of my old guys recently. On there forums there are even several arena's with 20+ active teams in them.
    Last edited by Cynaidh; 03-12-2014 at 06:53 AM.

Oh, that's just too funny. They must've hated you

I played a lot back in the 90's...even went to a few conventions...gave it up when it got too expensive and I had to focus on career and family.

If there was an online freemium version of it today, I'd probably get back into it. That 2-week turnaround for the mail-in rounds is just too long a wait for me. But the battle-dialogues and the variety of fighting styles were really stellar. I liked that there were no weapon and armor buffs and such so it was just pure skill and strategy. Parry-riposte and Aimed blow were my thing there.

Any other former Duelmasters players here? Give a shout-out
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Yup there are a lot of things about duelmasters that I really liked, perma death till you got out of the basic arenas, the large number of fighting classes, lower stat range for glads (3-21), non-magic gear (which made your glads stats SO much more important).

Yup, i keep hoping that one day Nate will give us a Hardcore arena. With some simple rules like:

1. Glad dies they are gone.
    2. No HOL Slaves
    3. Limited gear. (maybe even whites and greys only to lower the kill rate some)
    4. Faster glad learning (say double the current training points per day).
    5. Retirement allowed at 1k fights like normal (gives HOL slave in regular arena, if you make it).

Then run some kinda tourney quarterly, where the dead glads get a chance to come back, just in case someone looses someone cool

I'd be all over that

I was addicted to Duelmasters, it's a complete nonsense they never made an online version... In fact I came across Pit of War looking for one and got stuck here !
    Team Bloody Tigers : Siam (Winner BG 13 and BG 21),Sonja Tigarion (#10 BG 22), Ty Rex (#5 BG 13 and BG 22), Slim Shadow, Master Puss

Quote Originally Posted by Narol View Post
    I was addicted to Duelmasters, it's a complete nonsense they never made an online version... In fact I came across Pit of War looking for one and got stuck here !
    I believe it was cause of the owner split that happened in the 80's, the one who left got the legal rights to doing any online with the game during the break up (even though i don't think he ever did). So play by mail is all that they could do.

Haha - Narol - that's exactly what happened to me too. Looked for an online version of Duelmasters and got a pop-up for this game.

Maybe Nate should set up a booth right next to Duelmasters (now Duel II) at OrcCon with some chromebooks for people to try out Pit-of-war. Seems like a crowd that would be receptive to his game. Even better if he came up with a cool Conference-only tournament to get conference teams up to speed quickly and give incentive to this community to go meet him there

As for Cynaidh's idea about a hardcore arena - that sounds really fun...and really unlikely I do enjoy Pit-of-war for what it is too, so no complaints here.
    Last edited by Adoede; 03-12-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

There is a hardcore mode planned for the future. Details are fuzzy right now, however, once it is time it should be interesting.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-