Counterattack/Parry-X

Hi all..

I've a queston, I've tried to fight with those 2 fighting styles but.. seems they don't work...
    I use a shield but my glad seems doesen't use it, what should I do?

I'm trying to see if my glad could fight with a defensive style while I upgrade skills
    Stable:

New Malebranche: Kallistrate,Eurybia

Shields gets their defence bonus added automatically, you won't see text description of using it to defend but don't worry you are using it, and it's effectiveness will be modified by your fighting style.

Counter attack does not work under all conditions, only the right circumstances.
    Parry-x always works, how exactly is it not working for you, can you be more specific? If you are implying you are still losing just as badly when using parry? well that happens.
    Last edited by Alba Kebab; 12-15-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba Kebab View Post
    Shields gets their defence bonus added automatically, you won't see text description of using it to defend but don't worry you are using it, and it's effectiveness will be modified by your fighting style.

Parry-x always works, how exactly is it not working for you, can you be more specific? If you are implying you are still losing just as badly when using parry? well that happens.
    I ment, because I haven't saw any description of that action I've thought my glad doesen't use that style, and I thought I should raise Shield skill.

Do you know any: activity-Blood lust formula, meaning.. do you know some suitable levels of those 2 in order to maximize effectiveness? ( I know it's depend on the fight style)
    Stable:

New Malebranche: Kallistrate,Eurybia

Counter attack does not work under all conditions, only the right circumstances.
    When the stars are right. Actually the only case in which it doesn't work is when the opponent does not attack (a tanking War for instance), which makes sense.

@MaTianLong, using parry is fairly tricky and may require to build your entire fighter around that style. Using parry with a gladiator who doesn't have a serious defense bonus will normally only make your attacks slower and weaker but will not mitigate much damage (even none most of the time). Stacking defense gradually improves the effect of parry and at one point you may get to block 100% of the opponent's attacks, if his attack power is low. Big shields help a lot. Bear in mind that this will not make you invulnerable though. Some weapons are from not-easy to nearly impossible to parry (blunt gear, two-handed weapons, heavy pole arms) even if the opponent is not incredibly offensive so you'll eventually face fighters who will trample your super-defensive style. There are no unbeatable gladiators in the end game.

As for Counter Attack - this style should be used mainly with hard-hitting weapons like falcions, bastard swords or axes/maces. The style is unique with the ability to increase (sometimes a lot) the number of attacks of an otherwise slow weapon because your fighter attempts to return as many strikes as he/she receives, no matter the speed of his/her weapon. Respectively, using it with fast weapons like knives will almost never result in something positive against opponents with heavy hands. As with all styles, this one doesn't provide instant wins, has drawbacks (especially vs. tanks and 2-handed fighters) and needs you to keep your initiative relatively good but with the right tuning it can be very good.
    Last edited by Kreegan; 12-15-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaTianLong View Post
    Do you know any: activity-Blood lust formula, meaning.. do you know some suitable levels of those 2 in order to maximize effectiveness? ( I know it's depend on the fight style)
    10/10 is not very effective for most average glads, you'll likely over-exert yourself. Likewise, 1/1 is probably also a bad idea unless you don't mind the fist of the enforcer in your face.