Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainoji View Post
    Are you talking about Erupt or all your war glads? I've long suspected Trugs have a penalty to getting up due to their massive size.
    Dain,
    I am referring to all my war glads. Even the ones that have LAAF at 10 struggle to regain their feet once grounded. Erupt does tend to be the worst about it. I am a fan of the huge negative impacts of being on the ground since Nate changed the fight engine last year makes it much more realistic. But the ability to not get back up is very frustrating. I have noticed that the difference in regaining their posture in primus vs blood gods is huge. I assume it is due to the huge difference in strength and agility between the groups of glads. I just feel a trained warrior will know how to adequately get himself back in a fighting position ASAP. And being grounded 20+ rounds just does not sit well with me, especially when a sweep occurs and there is nothing you can do to avoid it.
    Manager of Stables : Lil Ludis and Alpha Team

Hall of Legends Gladiators : My True Legends
    Delta - Blood Games Champion and Undisputed Primus winner.
    Summit - Undisputed Primus Winner.
    Echo - Undisputed Primus Winner
    Foxtrot - Blood Games Champion and Undisputed Primus Winner
    Sliver - 2hand Rage Killing Machine
    Eruption - Multiple time runner up and 3rd places of the Blood Games. Undisputed Primus Winner and long time occupant of the throne of the arena.

If you do get knocked down as a war in full heavy I think the penalty should be severe; armor class is a tradeoff between deflections/less damage taken and mobility (all the benefits stated in light as a feather).

This leaves a couple options for a mobility minded warrior (a couple examples):
    1. Trade heavy armor for medium pieces (this doesn't require so much of the expensive size stat, so you can pump your other attributes high).
    2. Stack lots of size with your heavy pieces so your encumbrance is low (this is an expensive stat so your other attributes can't be as high)

I have noticed that wars in heavy seem to get knocked down somewhat less often than other classes; I think that the more severe crit effects (stun, knockdown, disarm) are more likely to trigger at larger damage numbers which the heavy armor keeps under control.

Edit:
    Come to think of it I do notice that even with green encumbrance and lots of medium armor my war glad does often roll around on the ground for 20+rounds. Perhaps there is a class modifier? If so, I agree the class modifier should NOT be so severe. Gearing for mobility should have a more significant effect than class.

@crow: agreed about sig move sweep: little you can do to avoid it short of a lucky block/deflection/parry. It generally results in your war eating dirt for the rest of the match and losing.
    Last edited by Sotc; 12-07-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Lord View Post
    Every gladiator has a weakness and the vulnerability to knockdown is the one that the offensive wars who go too deep in the rage carry with them. And to counter this you will have to stack size at the expense of reduced damage (no 300 str) or wear some medium pieces which will be targeted in important matches or go back in the war tree. We will never have everything and I guess this is by design.

Prinny are you sure Create Distance can stop more than one hit when it is not level 10?
    Create distance can't stop more than one hit even at lvl 10, it just occurs more often
    What im referring to is the Block Rating that comes from armour (and some achievements) + Create Distance which both have the same effect: Stopping an attack completely.

Create Distance is one of the few skills that I would consider viable at 5 points along with suprise ending and maybe barreling attack, signature move and war cry (if I actually would bother with those 3 skills at all)

The possibility of stopping 2 attacks completely from lets say a DW A&M rage for example could mean 2 out of 4-6 hits never get to hit the war, now lets say those 2 hits were Rampage and Adrenaline rush, see where im going?
    Ofcourse it's only a slight possibility of triggering but it's still worth a shot especially since I have found that Called Shot at 10 which Belca had before didn't work for him nearly as well as these 5 points in iron jaw and 5 in CD

Quote Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
    Create distance can't stop more than one hit even at lvl 10, it just occurs more often
    What im referring to is the Block Rating that comes from armour (and some achievements) + Create Distance which both have the same effect: Stopping an attack completely.

Create Distance is one of the few skills that I would consider viable at 5 points along with suprise ending and maybe barreling attack, signature move and war cry (if I actually would bother with those 3 skills at all)

The possibility of stopping 2 attacks completely from lets say a DW A&M rage for example could mean 2 out of 4-6 hits never get to hit the war, now lets say those 2 hits were Rampage and Adrenaline rush, see where im going?
    Ofcourse it's only a slight possibility of triggering but it's still worth a shot especially since I have found that Called Shot at 10 which Belca had before didn't work for him nearly as well as these 5 points in iron jaw and 5 in CD
    Why you never read ?!

Create Distance
    Chance To Train 0%
    Strength
    Intellect
    Stamina
    Rank 0/10
    Activated (Defensive)
    Requires War specialization.
    Requires 55 skill points in previous War tiers.
    A defensive move that stops the oncoming attack and has a chance of knocking the opponent far enough back that they lose an additional attack making up the lost ground.

Ah so that's what you meant by that, well I would say it's chances at lvl 5 are alot smaller than it is at 10. It's a good skill even without that though

Quote Originally Posted by Sotc View Post
    about sig move sweep: little you can do to avoid it short of a lucky block/deflection/parry. It generally results in your war eating dirt for the rest of the match and losing.
    - Maybe stacking intellect would help in getting up when prone? ref: http://forum.pitofwar.com/showthread...ight=attribute
    - In addition luck too may probably have some effect in getting the glad up.. http://forum.pitofwar.com/showthread...highlight=week
    - The fight strategy "I am on ground" may also come in picture. If the glad is parrying when on ground or at low activity or if the opponent is highly active not giving him an opening to stand, then maybe he may not tend to get up quickly.
    All these collectively may make a difference more to the wars?

Regards
    Last edited by Lunarion199; 12-07-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Attempting to parry or tank while on the ground ensures that your fighter will not get back up until the end of the fight. There seems to be an additional modifier which increases the chance (or just does nothing to help to) to get on your feet if you are using offensive styles and respectively decreases it for defensive ones. Of course, tanking while on the ground is a no-brainer but if you try it, you'll notice how badly it backfires.

As for Intellect - I have 113 on one of my Wars in heavy armour and he still stays on the ground for 5+ rounds in most of the fights where he gets knocked down. Intellect is expensive and getting it above 120 is difficult if you want your other stats to be good too so you can't stack it like Strength or Chi.

I think the heavy penalty for wars on the ground is fine. It's the one trade-off you make when you decide to stick a strength-maxing un-agile muscle slab into 3 layers of metal plating.
    Spending 10-20 rounds rolling in the dirt may seem funny, but do bear in mind the other guy is TRYING TO KEEP YOU DOWN too.

I've seen fights won by glads rolling on the ground too, so I don't see a big deal.

ADD: Oh, agility is more important than intellect for getting your ass off the ground, afaik.
    Last edited by Alba Kebab; 12-08-2013 at 08:01 PM.

The huge penalty to initiative that the heavy armour gives is punishing enough, no need for extra "bonuses" like knockdown for several rounds. For Wars, this effect is much worse than a stun.

Well, you can always not wear heavy armor if you REALLY REALLY feel it has more penalties than advantages.