Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arena Enforcer

Here's a fight from yesterday 100/100 War with 10/10 Armoured Fortress, Intercepting Guard and Battle Hardened vs a Theatrics with a falcion and a cestus (Barrier vs. Prodigal Son):
    Prodigal Son also benefits from Devastating Power and ONLY with a large weapon like a Sabre or Falchion does he get up over 250 in hit points.
    If I gear him with a cestus or small knife he is consistent in the 90's to mid 100's. Yes, the smaller blade causes more bleed but sometimes it takes to long before a DFA comes down on his head a couple times.
    Immortalized Stable of
    TEAM KAOS

Sure it happens, but I can assure you gray and white hits happen a lot more.
    Yes, they do and they wield bleeding on top of the regular damage, hence it doesn't really matter if they are weak or not - they can only hit good or better. The point is that the heavy weapons combined with some low-level skill get through heavy armour way too easily. What's the point to invest heavily in one build only to get it easily countered by pretty much every decent gladiator which has 1-2 low-level skills? So no, I don't want the heavy armour to reduce the damage too much, that would indeed be dull - but at the moment it does not reduce it enough despite the major investment in defensive skills, i.e. the problem is more with the high tier defensive skills in the War tree than with the armour itself. Rages have no issues with it if they use Kill Shot, Theatrics can bleed the crap out of any defensive War (and score serious damage with heavy weapons) and 2H Wars will very often force a War with a shield to surrender way before they run out of endurance (as well as an sub-offensive or offensive War build actually). Moreover, you can never stack more defense than a Theatrics and have Armoured Fortress simply because Theatrics have two major defensive skills in their tree on top of the other defense bonuses so at best you end up slowly bled out.

Anyway, even though I'm not making these things up and taking them from everyday experience - which people who don't run defensive Wars just don't have, period - can you name a successful defensive War at the moment? The best one is placed 20th in Blood Gods, nothing notable in Blood Games. And that's not recent.

I do agree with Kreegan that the defensive war build just suck atm, but im not so sure its a game flaw. Take a look at the current environment, the most popular build in blood gods right now is the defensive theatric bleed build, which i agree that a defensive war must be very lucky to beat. So in a round robin of 50 and i would guess its about 20 bleed theatrics in the mix(#10 theatrics is ranked 20) its near impossible to keep anything better than a 50% wl.
    My advice would be, sell the defense and build some offense with a lot of rage skills, atleast thats what ive done
    (Briteron_by), Theatrics, imperial guards, (subjects), MOTU

Manager since December 2010.

I don't think the problem with the defensive War is with damage reduction, as a fully skilled War will reduce damage nicely, and can outlast nearly any build especially if you can get up around the 2000 health mark, they can parry the bleeders and withstand a couple Rampage's or DFA's. The bigger problem is they just don't block or parry very much at the upper level (Blood Gods), as can be seen by the lack of upper end defensive War's. The once dominant Imperial Guards toil well below 50%.

But again that is the highest of all levels. In Primus they can hold their own very well against any build outside of the 2H War's and 2H Kill Shot Rage.

Holy Rising and Spiritual Death easily reached the top of Primus sporting 70% w/l as defensive War's, Blood God's... well that's another story, but Holy Rising is also a bit outmatched in gear at the moment and also a non HOF slave, so it's a slow upward climb for him.

However, even in Primus towards the top...it just seems the ability to hit is superior to the ability to block or parry. When considering a maxed skilled defensive War and a maxed skilled offensive Theatrics, Rage or War....the defensive War becomes more and more inferior the closer to the top.

But I'm kinda OK with that, since this is gladitorial combat..and no one wants to watch a parry exhibition. We want blood and gore, not gladiators falling asleep on the sands.
    Immortalized Stable of
    TEAM KAOS

Defensive Wars with a focus on damage reduction (i.e. Armoured Fortress builds) just don't parry 80-90% of the time so only the armour deflections negate all damage. I'm not really sure if Battle Hardened and Intercepting Guard really provide any defensive bonus - in term of damage reduction or negation - at all. So if most of the Rage builds can easily get past the heavy armour and all the defense bonuses with Kill Shot, pretty much all Theatrics builds except those with maces can drop a defensive War with bleeding and most of the remaining builds can bypass most of the heavy armour's protection by taking 1-2 low level skills which augment the critical hits, it turns out that a defensive War is only good before he reaches mid-high Primus and just against a selected group of opponents - which are pretty scarce lately. At the moment Barrier can handle only underdeveloped gladiators, certain speed Rages and certain other Rages with bad strategies and it's not like I haven't changed his strategy several times to no avail.

I don't really see defensive wars as being uneffective, I just don't see the notion of a being a defensive war means you have to be a maxed up endurance whore who tries to win by out turtling everyone whilst hardly ever swinging your weapon.

As for realism. The mongols were never known for widespread use of heavy weapons such as axes/maces, their standard melee weapons are your typical curved sabres, their bows are typically short horseback bows that don't pack the same force of crossbows. Yet they had no problems slaughtering european knights in full armor, whether with arrows or in full-on melee. So maybe, some of our predisposed beliefs about the impenetrability of heavy armor may not be all that realistic in itself, and I'll blame pop culture for that.
    Last edited by Alba Kebab; 07-19-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Pit of War realistic? Heh, nice one. I'm not talking about that of course, it's about balance. And no, the days of the super-enduring defensive Wars is long gone, right now their main issue is how to handle the swarm of bleeders that have become the most mainstream class on the arena and generally how to deal with the builds which have no issues getting through the heavy armour and the defensive skills in the War tree. The reality check says that a simple Called Shot + Devastating Power combo makes the heavy armour less protective than even the medium one and usually even one of that skills is sufficient to drop a tin can build.
    And really, if the defensive Wars are not ineffective, why aren't there any of them where it matters the most - among the top performers in Blood Gods and Blood Games?

Training Dummy
    Hey guys I'm back, figured I'd jump right in this discussion. The topic of seemingly assymetrical defense to offense scaling is something that annoyed me quite a bit in this game. Here's hoping I can get some more defensive glads up the ranks, but as been said it seems unlikely.

Anyway so yeah, the assymetrical scaling. At least that's what it seems like, large quantities of offense power trumping equivalent defensive power. Clearly the defensive route is working out better for theatric right now, so defense isn't all terrible. Is it the heavy armor, and the war skills that put emphasis on said armor that isn't quite as cracked up? Some good skills in the war tree to increase the effectiveness of armor and to mitigate additional damage when using a shield, but are they effective and are they at least as good as just focusing on the defense stat?

In the end I have no idea how damage mitigation through armor works in this game so it's hard to draw a conclusion, only that even weapons that don't necesarely fare well against armor have no problem penetrating whatever protection a defensive war can muster. Seems like medium marmor with an emphasis on speed and defense is where its at, wich leaves me wondering what the point of the top tier war skills are apart from create distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba Kebab View Post
    I don't really see defensive wars as being uneffective, I just don't see the notion of a being a defensive war means you have to be a maxed up endurance whore who tries to win by out turtling everyone whilst hardly ever swinging your weapon.

As for realism. The mongols were never known for widespread use of heavy weapons such as axes/maces, their standard melee weapons are your typical curved sabres, their bows are typically short horseback bows that don't pack the same force of crossbows. Yet they had no problems slaughtering european knights in full armor, whether with arrows or in full-on melee. So maybe, some of our predisposed beliefs about the impenetrability of heavy armor may not be all that realistic in itself, and I'll blame pop culture for that.
    I'm no historian but I don't think knights were common during the middle ages? Far as I know knighthood was more of a status then anything else. Full plate armor and a well trained horse were pricy, far from what common soldiers could afford I think.
    I think you're right about the misconception that full plate makes for impenetrable defense though, just as it's a common misconception that said plate is immensly weighty. I blame the d&d fantasy culture for that one.
    Still, realism or no this game went with the heavy armor slows you down to a crawl unless you're a behemoth, so you'd kind of expect the impenetrable defense portion to follow.
    Last edited by Jelle; 07-24-2013 at 08:10 AM.

And really, if the defensive Wars are not ineffective, why aren't there any of them where it matters the most - among the top performers in Blood Gods and Blood Games?
    Because when Cyn rage quit he sent all the top war glads to the hol. Before he did that The Returned was the dominate gladiator in the arena coming in a close second in season 1. He was a heavy plate mail wearing tanking bastard. Go look at the hol right now and check the top 10 war glads, for the most part they have the best w/l records. Some were around before the skill change, others after. There is nothing wrong with defensive war glads if they are built correctly and have a proper strategy. Defensive war glads often win the battle royals or are one of the last to go due to their armor and defensive abilities. While some would have you believe they've "tried everything" in trying to get a war glad to the top obviously they haven't. Another common excuse you'll hear is "I've tried many strategies", ok, great, obviously not one that suits your gladiator and the current meta game in your bracket. This game is fluid and ebbs and flows based on where your glads are and what other players are doing at that time. The reason you don't see a lot of ultra defensive gladiators at the top is they aren't as fun to play not because they are lacking. This is a subjective statement of course but I feel pretty confident the majority of players run more offensive gladiators because it is more exciting. If there were a similar number of defensive gladiators as offensive gladiators you'd see a lot more at the top. Simple math. Yes, yes "if defensive glads were more effective players would run more of them". Sure, I agree if it were easy to win with them more people would play them, but they would still be far outnumbered by offensive glads.

And while we're talking about "realism" evolution weeds out the majority of species that develop heavy armor to protect themselves, hence why there are so few around now in comparison to non armored species. Being smaller and more agile almost always beats slow and strong. We are of course playing a game so none of that really matters, what matters is balance and from where I'm sitting I don't see a grievous imbalance at the moment. Do bleeds ruin your day? Sure, so doesn't a well placed rampage or a couple of DFAs. If your idea of a "defensive" gladiator is one who stands around on the sand like a metal punching bag then you deserve to lose more than you win. The topic of defense vs offense isn't even really a good one. Only rage glads get to be pure offense, war and theatrics glads are meant to utilize both with the player deciding how much of each to throw in there, but if you are deciding to go pure defense as a war gladiator all day every day you are discarding more than a third of your fighting styles right off the bat. If you stay away from the offensive type skills and techniques again you are leaving options on the table instead of bringing them with you onto the sands. If you are choosing to fight with a handicap for the challenge, fine, but understand you are voluntarily fighting with one arm behind your back.

Hey guys I'm back
    Welcome back Jelle!
    Last edited by Dainoji; 07-24-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

These 2 posts are the best posts I've read on here in a while They're actually reasonable and stuff :P

Also WB Jelle
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!