Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    World of Warcraft uses elo on a per fight basis in the arena, pretty sure Guild Wars does as well. Most video games that use an elo do it on a per fight basis. Usually top ranking scores like 2000 aren't hit until toward the end the season and if this is a three month long season we're only 1/3 of the way in. I should probably add that unless there is a clear imbalance what I say above seems to hold. I have seen players shoot up the ratings quickly but it was pretty obvious they were of a much higher caliber then the rest of the field and never lost.
    Last edited by Dainoji; 04-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

I see what you guys are saying that it works for other games, I did competitive pvp in WoW and saw it work there, it was a hell of an accomplishment to get in the high ranks of it back when i was doing it.

My problem is there just is no point right now in the pits, you can easily go from the bottom of the rankings to the top in the blood gods in less then a week, so right now, today, the fights we are doing are meaningless wastes of time, in this 2 to 3 month tournament everything will be decided in the last week. Honestly I feel now that the best strategy would be to stop spending trophies on achievement slots/extra fights/stable memberships and just wait till near the end, then used those saved up trophies to max out the achievements on my glads, and use the trophies for extra fights to jump up to the top of the rankings and win. So trying to stay at the top is pointless to me with how this is structured, hell there isn't even an achievement for being in 1st place for x number of fights like every other bracket, that doesn't even exist.

The other goal for the blood gods is getting to 1700 and 2000 ranking points. The Returned is trying to chase this goal she is currently over 200 points above the nearest glad that can fight her, she had 4 fight tokens this morning, she won all 4 and gained less then 10 points but if she would have lost she looses nearly it seems 24-28 points on a loss. So 12 win's worth of points are erased with 1 loss. So to have any chance of getting to 1700 points she is going to have to have a 95% win/loss ratio. I don't know about you guys but I don't think there is any glad that will be able to pull that off for the fights it would take to get to 1700 points much less 2000.

EDIT: Just to go into this more, I have brought this up several times but this is from us using a set K-factor (the max number of points you can gain or loose per fight) of around 30, all the major chess federations scale your K-factor: the USCF starts you at a K-factor of 32, but once you get up the ranks some it drops to 24, and once your at the top of the ranks it drops to 16; the FIDE starts you at 30, soon as you have 30 matches it drops to 15 and then once you hit the top of the rankings it becomes 10; some use a formula that lowers your K-factor the more games you play. This makes it more fair to people at the top of the rankings, if your at the top you won't gain many points per win so the k-factor will not come into effect on a win, but on a loss instead of loosing 30 points and wiping out 12 wins worth of points, you loose a max of 16 or 10 in the USCF and FIDE which still is a big hit but at least then its only removing the points you gained from 4-6 wins instead of 12.

I am sure everyone who knows me here knows i am a very goal orientated person. I like setting goals for glads/teams and trying to make them happen. The lack of achievable goals in the blood gods that would actually mean something has just changed the game a lot for me. Hell i miss the top 10 battle of primus, it was better then the musical chairs that the top 10 of the blood gods is.
    Last edited by Cynaidh; 04-10-2013 at 04:54 AM.
    Manager of the Gold Stables: Ab and Ba Gold

Personally the use of an ELO system in anything where chance is a factor doesn't really work very well but that is what the video game industry has embraced due to there not being a better solution. WoW uses a K-Factor of 32 and it doesn't scale and it mostly works for them, they also do it on a per fight basis. I don't think the Blood Gods or this game are any different, it works given the circumstances. The top 3rd are who I would expect, the middle 3rd the same and the bottom 3rd likewise. I've also yet to see someone go from #1 to the bottom and back up without it being due to some kind of respec or something like that and even then Bruce is the closest I've seen and I don't think Bruce is spec'd right to match up against the top War glads currently which is why he fell and likely won't regain the #1 spot again without more work. In one week a glad might fight 100 or more times so it seems completely reasonable to me that if a glad losses enough times in 100+ fights to go to the bottom they likely deserve their new position.

If someone in WoW wanted to sandbag they could and drop a bunch in the rankings and then they could turn it back up and raise in the ranks. The same would be true for a chess player, this isn't a failing on the systems part. The difference is the person sandbagging would have a shit rating each week and have less BGP to buy gear. You are welcome to do the same and the result would be the same, you can sit at the bottom of the rankings sandbagging it and get minimal BGP while the top glads each week get a lot more and buy a lot more gear than your glads. The last few weeks you can turn up the heat and maybe and I say maybe because who knows how high the top glads will be at that time you'll reach the top spot and "win". Congrats you won and got your goal, but you failed to win the real prize which were all the BGP and top gear your glads missed out on sitting at the bottom. I also have to imagine that there will be some additional goodies at the end like achievements and such so I wouldn't get too down about that.

Anyhow, enough arm chair speculation on my part! Now...back to dreaming about the new Blood God gear and whipping Thunder Lips for sandbagging in Primus!
    Last edited by Dainoji; 04-10-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Im not sure why but I had an idea about the winner would be the gladiator with most bgp in the end of the season. If the only criteria being #1 on the last sever reset, its possible, very unlikly but still posible to win after being promoted into Blood gods the last week. Maybe thats Thunder Lips plan

My only real concern about the current system is that now we fight even fewer opponents than in the old primus. We have counters for # of wins and # of fights initiated, could we possibly add a new counter for # of opponents. The effect would be that you cant fight one glad twice until you`ve met X different opponents that week.
    (Briteron_by), Theatrics, imperial guards, (subjects), MOTU

Manager since December 2010.

Ya I've been reading all day on the different ranking systems to see if there is something better, a lot of games have gone away from a straight ELO system, WoW went from the elo system to their MMR system at the end of season 5, the differences between the systems are an interesting read, with each person having 3 rankings in WoW, Personal MMR, Team MMR, and Arena Ranking. League of Legends also just swapped from the ELO to a MMR system in February of this year. Starcraft II also uses a MMR system.

Some of the differences are cool like in WoW your personal MMR sets a cap of how many BGP's (well conquest points, their version of BGP's) you get per week when doing the arena fights: a 1500 rating can get 1343 points per week up to a 3000 rating able to get 3000 points per week. You gain BGP's at the end of each fight, no waiting to get them once a week. This gives your ranking a larger purpose i think as it greatly changes how many BGP's you can earn per week, and makes it so you stay active to earn the points since you get them per fight. Another reason I like the though of getting BGP's per fight is that way if you where say 50 BGP from being able to buy an item, instead of having to wait a whole week to get some points, you'd be able to get those 50 points in a couple of fights. Is an interesting change from how they did it back in season 2 when i did WoW PvP when it was a system very much like the Pits.

Another thing i like is that they have removed your ranking TOTALLY from buying gear, their system now just works on how many points you have to spend and how many total points you've accumulated this season. Basically the purple armor would be available to buy at the start, you just need to save up points to buy it, once you have earned 7500 points total (including your spent points) then purple weapons would become available, at 27000 points earned total in a season the orange gear becomes available. Now those points are high compared to us since you can earn up to 3000 points per week in WoW, I would half those numbers for our system, so purple armor unlocked at the start, purple weapons unlocked once you've earned 3250 points total in a season, and then the orange gear unlocked once you've hit 13500 points total for the season.

I see why they did this, when eventually we get enough people in the blood gods, 1 glad will hit 1700 points, and i am sure that glad will have near max BGP's saved up, so that glad will go from wearing purple armor to half their armor being orange gear (if they use trophies to help buy the gear rather then straight BGP's) and have a HUGE advantage, thus keeping others from getting to 1700 ranking. And then eventually the same thing would happen at 2000 ranking.

So our system is basically what WoW had at the start pre-season 5. You get BGP's once per week, there are rating requirements on the gear, uses ELO for rankings. I'd rather look at what WoW is using now (BGP's per fight, No rating requirements on gear, rather its based on total points earned per season, MMR rating system) as they have already gone threw the pains and seen what works and what doesn't work.

Im not sure why but I had an idea about the winner would be the gladiator with most bgp in the end of the season.
    Cool idea Oedi.

Just the icing on the cake for me but The Returned was up to 1542 points, got 2 match up vs power rages, lost both, now at 1488 points, that's 54 points lost in 2 minutes that took 3 days of wins to make.

The point is what Stormcloak says I think. Ussually ELO ranking is used when theres a lot of players playing in the same ranking so as everyone is there (the good ones, the average and the worse) so if you are good you will rank up easily and stay there, because if for some reason you are kicked down in ELO you will start fighting less skilled players normally and as you are better you will get your ELO up.

The point is that when the amount of people involved in the ELO ranking is small and the level is quite similar between then geting high ELO is very difficult as even when you are fighting people that by ranking are supossed to be worse than you you have high chances of losing and you will tend to lose more points when you lose than earn them when you win as this is how ELO works when you are over the average) so staying high is very difficult in this cases.

Thats exactly what happens in blood games I think. The problem relies in the ELO ranking itself. If you want people to be able to get higher ratings when they are only fighting other top players you need to think something arround, but thats very difficult. And maybe the movements helps motivating people so one or a few glad doesnt just dominate. But it can be very frustrating on the other hand as Cyna said.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynaidh View Post
    Just the icing on the cake for me but The Returned was up to 1542 points, got 2 match up vs power rages, lost both, now at 1488 points, that's 54 points lost in 2 minutes that took 3 days of wins to make.
    I hear you man. Bloody Lady keeps smacking up Bruce for 30 points a match whenever I get to the #3 or #4 spot....
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

Quote Originally Posted by Cynaidh View Post
    I don't expect what I'm going to add to change your mind as you've made yours known at this point however, I think you are missing what is happening on a larger scale. You are only focusing on your top glad and his inability to pull away from the pack easily. If you look at the top half of the rankings you'll see they are steadily moving up in rating points. You get more points when fighting someone of a similar rating and as a result the group as a whole moves up which in turn allows the top ranked glads to climb higher. In just 5 weeks the top 10ish have gained 200-400 points and the top ranked glads around 500. If you make some assumptions and do a little math I wouldn't be surprised to see top ranked glads kissing 1700 by the end of the month. Patience is a virtue!
    Last edited by Dainoji; 04-10-2013 at 09:03 AM.

I see what your saying Dainoji, and I agree we have a system that is trending to the top glads gradually increasing.

What i don't like is its a system that punishes you for doing good and being the top guy.