Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seasons

Nate this still sounds amazing, the Elo system sounds much better then the current top 10 solution in primus! I have a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    As mentioned before, once a gladiator is promoted to a Blood God they will no longer fight in the "regular" arena.
    Does this include the blood games?

In order to receive all the points their rating affords them though they will have to win X fights that week.
    Are we still looking at 4 fights per day or 8 if you have the stable membership in this arena? Needless to say its easier to get X wins per week if you have 8 fights per day rather then 4.

Season gear
    First question about Season gear:

Where does season gear fall into the current gear rankings?

Right now we have:
    grey<white<green<blue<purple<orange

I'd guess it will be one of these 3 for season 1 gear:

1. grey<white<green<blue<purple<season 1 gear<orange
    2. grey<white<green<blue<purple<season 1 gear=orange
    3. grey<white<green<blue<purple<orange<season 1 gear

Could you share some light if one of those is correct.

Season gear
    Second question about Season gear:

Will season gear using the current blacksmith system to show us whats available, 16 items at a time, 1 trophie to see a new set of items?

I am hoping the answer is no to this one and we will be able to see the full list of items available and then can pick which one we are going to buy with our points. I personally think this will lead to a more even and competative arena as each manager will not have to rely on luck for the correct item to come up once they have points to spend. This will allow managers to plan out their gear selections and stop sitations like this from happening: "Oh man you had the 2h hammer of greatness show up today? I haven't seen that yet after 300 refreshes this game hates me, it sucks".

Regarding the Season gear, each Season new gear will be created and previous Seasons' gear will be discounted, possibly even finding its way into the regular arena.
    I have kind of a long winded question on this one. I understand the purpose of this, the "carrot on the end of the stick" gets a little bigger each season so that people stay interested and have to continue fighting their glads to stay competitive. Makes total sense and we have seen this system in various games, since i now we are all familiar with World of Warcraft (well a lot of us are) and their Arena PVP system which is on Season 12 is similar in concept (at least it seems to be kinda ironic that they even have "Seasons") you get arena points per fight and you can use them to buy arena gear, you can buy the current seasons gear and the previous seasons gear, gear older then that is available to buy by non-arena people with regular pvp points (so it has the same trickle down effect, non-arena players can gear up in in season 10 gear before they even start doing arena pvp to be somewhat competitive when they first start the arena). Now this seems quite similar to what your going to do, and the only question I have about is about how do you think "Stat Inflation" will effect Pit of War and do you think it will be a long term issue. What i mean by "Stat Inflation" is that right now a good purple breast plate might have stats such as 12 str 7 agil 7 chi 7 pres, so for a BGP item to be "better" we would expect higher stats so maybe we will see a breast plate in season 1 with 15 str 10 agil 10 chi 10 pres, which is a nice increase and could be cause to buy this armor with your BGP points. But now lets fast forward to season 10, so now the stats on the breast plates have been increasing enough so that each season its a worthy expenditure of your BGP to buy the new version of the same item, so now the bp being sold has 55 str, 50 agil, 30 chi, 30 pres and 10% chance for ZeroEleven to jump out and start helping you in the fight each time your hit. This is "Stat Inflation" and it leads to where having 200 str right now is an amazing hard to reach goal, in the future in season 10 glads are running around with over 500 str. It also leads to the only important stats are the ones that gear can not increase which would be size and luck for our glads(currently anyways). I am just curious if you think this will become an issue in the pits.

That's all i have for now.
    Last edited by Cynaidh; 02-21-2013 at 04:48 AM.
    Manager of the Gold Stables: Ab and Ba Gold

Nate this still sounds amazing, the Elo system sounds much better then the current top 10 solution in primus! I have a few questions.
    Glad you think so.

Does this include the blood games?
    Not sure yet. It's possible Blood Gods will eventually get their own Blood Games. I think for now nothing will change.

Are we still looking at 4 fights per day or 8 if you have the stable membership in this arena? Needless to say its easier to get X wins per week if you have 8 fights per day rather then 4.
    Fight tokens will work the same. A win is a win whether you initiated the fight or not so it isn't dependant on just your activity.

First question about Season gear:

Where does season gear fall into the current gear rankings?

Right now we have:
    grey<white<green<blue<purple<orange

I'd guess it will be one of these 3 for season 1 gear:

1. grey<white<green<blue<purple<season 1 gear<orange
    2. grey<white<green<blue<purple<season 1 gear=orange
    3. grey<white<green<blue<purple<orange<season 1 gear

Could you share some light if one of those is correct.
    Yes.

Second question about Season gear:

Will season gear using the current blacksmith system to show us whats available, 16 items at a time, 1 trophie to see a new set of items?

I am hoping the answer is no to this one and we will be able to see the full list of items available and then can pick which one we are going to buy with our points. I personally think this will lead to a more even and competative arena as each manager will not have to rely on luck for the correct item to come up once they have points to spend. This will allow managers to plan out their gear selections and stop sitations like this from happening: "Oh man you had the 2h hammer of greatness show up today? I haven't seen that yet after 300 refreshes this game hates me, it sucks".
    I don't foresee a change on how the Blacksmith works in the near future. Cycling for a trophy and allowing items to be purchased with trophies, gold or points will stay. It's a good system that allows eveyone access to everything and gives those who want it the convienience of seeing more items sooner without preventing anyone from getting those same items.

I have kind of a long winded question on this one. I understand the purpose of this, the "carrot on the end of the stick" gets a little bigger each season so that people stay interested and have to continue fighting their glads to stay competitive. Makes total sense and we have seen this system in various games, since i now we are all familiar with World of Warcraft (well a lot of us are) and their Arena PVP system which is on Season 12 is similar in concept (at least it seems to be kinda ironic that they even have "Seasons") you get arena points per fight and you can use them to buy arena gear, you can buy the current seasons gear and the previous seasons gear, gear older then that is available to buy by non-arena people with regular pvp points (so it has the same trickle down effect, non-arena players can gear up in in season 10 gear before they even start doing arena pvp to be somewhat competitive when they first start the arena). Now this seems quite similar to what your going to do, and the only question I have about is about how do you think "Stat Inflation" will effect Pit of War and do you think it will be a long term issue. What i mean by "Stat Inflation" is that right now a good purple breast plate might have stats such as 12 str 7 agil 7 chi 7 pres, so for a BGP item to be "better" we would expect higher stats so maybe we will see a breast plate in season 1 with 15 str 10 agil 10 chi 10 pres, which is a nice increase and could be cause to buy this armor with your BGP points. But now lets fast forward to season 10, so now the stats on the breast plates have been increasing enough so that each season its a worthy expenditure of your BGP to buy the new version of the same item, so now the bp being sold has 55 str, 50 agil, 30 chi, 30 pres and 10% chance for ZeroEleven to jump out and start helping you in the fight each time your hit. This is "Stat Inflation" and it leads to where having 200 str right now is an amazing hard to reach goal, in the future in season 10 glads are running around with over 500 str. It also leads to the only important stats are the ones that gear can not increase which would be size and luck for our glads(currently anyways). I am just curious if you think this will become an issue in the pits.
    Time will tell! As always I'll do my best to balance everything and keep it fun.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Yes.
    Damn me and my not specific enough questions....

Ask again

This sounds very cool Nate, any update as to when this will be ready?
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

Quote Originally Posted by Dainoji View Post
    This sounds very cool Nate, any update as to when this will be ready?
    I'm getting pretty close to having enough finished to where we can go live with it. The plan for now is to probably take the top 30-40 gladiators from Primus as the first gladiators to enter the new Blood Gods bracket and begin the Season. If no major roadblocks come up I could see this happening very soon.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Will seasons gear only be wearable by people in seasons?

Will seasons gear expire - or get worse with damage - so that it cannot be used forever?
    Jagged Rock STABLE
    Current Glads: Aeon Flux, Beatrix Kiddo, Tom Thumb, and Dinky Dawson
    Retired: Tank Girl, Lockerhead

Quote Originally Posted by AngryVermin View Post
    Will seasons gear only be wearable by people in seasons?

Will seasons gear expire - or get worse with damage - so that it cannot be used forever?
    Season gear will be available soon and all questions will be answered!

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Greetings Pit Masters!

I hope many of you are enjoying the most recent update introducing Seasons. As many of you know I always try and listen to player feedback and incorporate as many of your suggestions as possible that fit with the theme and vision of the game. Thus far I've received many messages thanking me for Seasons and in general there has been a good vibe surrounding it. Some players have been concerned that some of their gladiator(s) were promoted before they were ready and one of the ideas I've been toying with is related to a suggestion put forward by Apoc and I wanted to throw it out there to the PoW community and get your feedback.

What do you think about each week the bottom X% of gladiators in Seasons get demoted back into Primus where they can hone their skills once again and work their way back into the Blood Gods bracket? They would keep whatever BGP they've earned and any gear they've attained but would no longer compete in Seasons until promoted again. Once promoted again their record would be reset and they would start back with a 1000 Rating. This is just an idea that could be interesting, it isn't something I am planning to do yet but wanted to hear your thoughts.

I always try to make this as much *your* game as it is mine.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

What do you think about each week the bottom X% of gladiators in Seasons get demoted back into Primus where they can hone their skills once again and work their way back into the Blood Gods bracket? They would keep whatever BGP they've earned and any gear they've attained but would no longer compete in Seasons until promoted again. Once promoted again their record would be reset and they would start back with a 1000 Rating. This is just an idea that could be interesting, it isn't something I am planning to do yet but wanted to hear your thoughts.
    I personally like the concept of having a way for managers to decide if their glad is ready for seasons or not. Yet at the same time I don't know how i feel about the bottom % being removed automatically for a couple of reasons. First maybe the manager doesn't want to have his glad demoted, he wants the challenge or at least he wants the BGP points you get even if you loose every match for the gear. Second it makes it so that if you want to leave Blood Gods you need to make your glad lose to get into the bottom of the ranks and in what ever percent it is that gets lowered to the Normal Arena, this will give other glads in the blood games free wins as these glads that want to leave are throwing every match to get lower and lower in the rankings. This would effect other managers experience in the Blood Gods which I don't think would be a good thing.

My opinion is rather then doing that, make the invites work kinda how the Blood Games invites work, you get a message saying "<Glad's name here> has been invited to the Blood Gods please accept on the Overview page." Then put a link like so on the overview page:

Now the manager can pick to join the Blood Gods or just wait till the glad is ready. If the manager picks join then the glad will join the Blood Gods on the next weekly invite/points day (this also gives the manager some time to decide if they want to put the glad in the Blood Gods or not).

For leaving the Blood Gods just the same thing in reverse, add a link to the overview page under the Blood God info to "Return to Normal Arena" if a manager clicks this for their gladiator then they will be returned to the normal arena on the next weekly invite/points day. The Arena managers would keep the gladiators Blood God points for that week as a fee to return them to the Normal Arena (small cost so people don't flip flop all the time). And same as the other system the glad would keep all Blood Gods gear and previously earned points (if any). Also the "Return to Normal Arena" link would change to "Stay in Blood Gods", so if a manager hits the "Return to Normal Arena" in a fit of rage or something they have a way to change their mind and stay in Blood Gods as long as they do it before the next weekly invite/points day.
    Last edited by Cynaidh; 03-10-2013 at 06:28 AM.