Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasons

Thumbs up Seasons

Greetings Pit Masters!

I know everyone is always excited to know what new things are being developed in the Great Realm, and one exciting new feature will be Seasons.

What are Seasons?

That's a great question, I'm glad you asked! To start, I'll just give you a brief overview of what Seasons will be and more fine grained details will come later. Seasons will involve a new bracket above Primus where qualifying gladiators will be promoted to. Once in this new bracket gladiators will compete in 2-3 month long tournaments. A separate record will be kept for each Season (the overall record will still be updated so you can see your gladiators' overall record but it will not be used for the Seasons) and when the next Season starts all Season records will reset and gladiators will start competing again from scratch.

Each fight earns points (winners getting more) and those points can then be used towards buying special Seasonal gear and prizes not available among the Blacksmith's regular wares. The top gladiators in each Season will likewise get additional prizes, titles and achievements.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

I have been waiting a long time for something like this to pop up
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

Yup been looking forward to this since you told us about the idea in the chats.

Is this going to be before or after conquests?
    Manager of the Gold Stables: Ab and Ba Gold

Oooh Precious Priceys <3

Sounds great !
    Team Bloody Tigers : Siam (Winner BG 13 and BG 21),Sonja Tigarion (#10 BG 22), Ty Rex (#5 BG 13 and BG 22), Slim Shadow, Master Puss

Awesome. Sounds like there will be some shakeup in Primus ranking as people take their glads to Seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynaidh View Post
    Yup been looking forward to this since you told us about the idea in the chats.

Is this going to be before or after conquests?
    I'm actually planning it out right now to see how involved it will be. I hate to put Conquests on hold again, but I think Seasons will be much quicker to implement and help the end game out a lot. Conquests I think will be a huge draw for all levels of play and if it comes out a week or two later I don't think it will matter since we've already waited this long.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

What the hell have u guys been clicking on!!! - I see game banners here for

and

Well - all the better for Nate, he certainly won't lose me to those.

Cheers - Go Seasons! Get those monsters out of Primus!
    Jagged Rock STABLE
    Current Glads: Aeon Flux, Beatrix Kiddo, Tom Thumb, and Dinky Dawson
    Retired: Tank Girl, Lockerhead

Thumbs up

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give you a quick update on my progress. Most of the heavy lifting is done for Seasons and now I'm looking for bugs and anything that was overlooked. If things go well we might see Seasons implemented very soon. For those of you interested in some more info on seasons please see below.

When Seasons are ready the top 25 or so gladiators in Primus will be promoted to a new bracket named "Blood Gods". The old Blood Gods bracket is going to be renamed Blood Lords (along with all titles and achievements). Then each week gladiators who meet the Blood Gods criteria will be promoted. The criteria isn't set in stone but it will likely involve being in the top 10 and having above a certain number of ranking points.

As mentioned before, once a gladiator is promoted to a Blood God they will no longer fight in the "regular" arena. Their overall record will still be updated, but a new record that gets reset at the start of each season will be the one displayed on the ranking page. Blood Gods will also have a new system to rank them. The system is based on a rating system originally designed to rank chess players and is now widely used in many sports and video games. The name of the system is called the Elo Rating System and you can find more information here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

The short version is all gladiators have a rating and when matched up against another gladiator the number of points they win or lose is dependent on each gladiator's rating. If two gladiators have the same rating the winner will win X points and the loser will lose X points. If gladiator A has a higher rating then B and wins the amount of points won and lost will be less since it is expected that gladiator A should win. Had gladiator B (the underdog) won, the amount of points won and lost would be greater since gladiator B should not have won. Gladiators coming into the Season late will still be able to raise in the ranks since the system doesn't solely revolve around number of fights but more around who they defeat and lose to in those fights.

Once a week gladiators will be awarded with Blood God Points (BGP). The amount awarded is based on their rating with higher rated gladiators being awarded more. In order to receive all the points their rating affords them though they will have to win X fights that week. Gladiators failing to win X fights will receive less BGP than they otherwise would have. BGP will then be used to buy special gear only available to Blood Gods.

It's possible Seasons will start before the new gear is ready which won't be a problem since it will take some time to earn enough BGP to buy the gear anyway. I'd expect the new gear to be available shortly after Seasons start though. Regarding the Season gear, each Season new gear will be created and previous Seasons' gear will be discounted, possibly even finding its way into the regular arena.

My goal is to get the top gladiators into a more competitive, fun and rewarding cyclical tournament format as soon as possible so I can then devote all my time to finishing up conquests. As always expect Seasons to roll-out and then we'll fine tune it as we go if need be.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

I have been waiting so long for an elo ranking system. this pleases me greatly

let the real competition begin!
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!