Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up New Update 1/12/2013! New Skill Trees!

Greetings Pit Master!

A MASSIVE update has just been released and is now live and I thank you for your patience during the delay while I've been sick!

Please see below for this update's release notes:

NEW SKILL TREES
    The biggest change is all the skill trees have been redesigned and all gladiators created before the update will need to respec their gladiator's skills. All gladiators effected by this have had all the skills reset to zero and been refunded an approximate number of training points based on their old skills and attributes. To respec your gladiators please go to the skills screen and begin assigning your refunded training points and create your new skill build. At the bottom of the skills screen you will find some helpful shortcut keys to aid you in your respec.

Gladiators will be unable to initiate any fights in the tavern, arena or pit fights until they finish their respec, however, they may still be called upon to fight in the arena by other gladiators who already completed their respec. In this case your gladiator will enter combat with the knowledge of their old weapons skills as to not be defenseless. It is recommended you respec your gladiators as soon as possible.

NOTE: Due to the nature of the skill system being probability based, some gladiators may find they end up with more skills then they originally had and some will find they have slightly less. Gladiators who find themselves with less simply need to continue doing their tavern contracts and arena fights to earn more training points and train as normal. If one of your gladiators falls into the latter category, I apologize in advance and appreciate your understanding regarding this. For example if you had 100 skill points made up of numerous 5s and 6s and 7s and then during the respec you try and have all your skills at 10 it is very likely you will not have 100 skill points at the end due to the fact that more training points are required to bring skills from 7 to 8 and 8 to 9 and 9 to 10, etc.

FREE RACE CHANGE
    All gladiators created before the update have been awarded the ability to change their race one time for free if you so choose.

HIDE SCOUTING REPORT
    Don't want other Stable Master's prying eyes looking at one of your gladiator's scouting report? A simple donation to Jimmy the Squid's charity foundation will ensure that The Squid can't find your gladiator's scouting report when other Stable Masters come looking. Go to the rankings list and view your own gladiator. Jimmy will give you the option to hide it there.

UNLEARNING SKILLS
    Unlearning skills has been temporarily disabled and will be available again in the near future.

DEATH SICKNESS
    The Arena Undertakers will now tend to all gladiators until they are level 17 preventing the Death Sickness. After level 17 your stable will want to have its own Undertaker to prevent the Death Sickness and care for your gladiators.

CHEAPER HEALING & RESURRECTION
    The Temple Elders have reduced their prices for gladiators level 17 and under.

RACE CHANGES
    - The Elaar have had their disarm resistance replaced with armour penetration
    - Trugs have had their penalty to endurance replaced with slow initiative
    - In addition to the above most races have has a balancing pass done to their penalties and bonuses

FIGHT ENGINE CHANGES
    In addition to the new skill trees and race balancing/tweaks the Fight Engine has also undergone some changes to balance things out. Here are some of the more notable changes:

- Rounds are a little shorter. This means endurance and bleeding can/will play a larger role in the fights. This also means 2 round stuns are staying as the shorter rounds makes stuns sting less.

- The majority of weapons have had their speeds modified. The slowest speed is still a 1 and the fastest is a 4. For the most part they are all pretty similar to what they were with slight modifications. The fastest weapons like the dagger are now a speed 4. The slowest weapons are still 2H and Pole Arms which are a 1.

- 2H weapons have had their damage reduced and number of attacks increased. This was to help them be more consistent instead of being all or nothing. Agility based weapons get to use their agility to help boost damage instead of their strength.

- Armour plays a much bigger role in its ability to reduce damage with heavy armour receiving a pretty good bump. As a result many fights will see a good spread of level 1-5 crits even at the higher levels and overall damage dealt with each hit will be less than you see now. (Apoc's biggest hits section on the forums will likely need to be closed and a new thread opened for the new hits so it is relative to the new engine).

- Medium armour is slightly heavier and more encumbering and heavy armour is A LOT heavier and the majority of gladiators dressed in all full plate will be encumbered (with the bar at least in the yellow, often in orange and red for some). This will have implications ranging from using more endurance, attacking less, having a slower initiative, etc. This is the price for being a tank that absorbs the bulk of the damage inflicted upon your gladiator. Offensive and defensive gladiator builds are still viable.

- Shields wielded with skill offer a lot more protection and as many have noticed there are skills that can help even more. This in combination with the changes to armour will no doubt give rise to new builds of gladiators who aim to make their opponent run out of endurance rather than health.

- Counter Attack has been changed to where it will only attack as often as the opponent even if they could attack more and they will always attack last in true counter attack fashion. If the opponent can attack more, the counter attacker will only attack as many times as they are able.

- The key attributes of a skill have the ability to push the effects of a skill up past what just the skill level offers more than they did in the past. So two gladiators with a 10 in a skill might see different results in the effects (e.g. Hamstring might reduce the attacks less or more than the other gladiator based on their attributes).

- Low health and endurance have more of an effect in regards to your number of attacks, to hit, etc.

- There have been some modifications to built in bonuses for fighting style vs armour matchups. The following matchups offer a slight advantage to the attacker regarding to hit and damage:

* Slashing vs light armour
    * Bashing vs medium armour
    * Lunging vs Heavy armour

Fighting styles like berserk, kill shot, tank, and counter attack do not get the bonus, however, slash/bash/lunge and parry-x do. This advantage is not huge but might be enough to make the difference in a close fight.

- Smart gladiators will use their skills more often than gladiators will a low intellect. Dumb gladiators will still use skills though, they aren't THAT dumb! Not even Trugs!

- Any and all of the above items (and any not listed) are subject to change at any time for game balance reasons.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

OMG I wonder if prinny just died.
    Manager of the Gold Stables: Ab and Ba Gold

It's go time! Sorry for the delay, I ran into a few hiccups. If anyone finds what they think is a bug please let me know.

Good luck in the Pits!

-Nate-

Since it would seem many didn't read the release notes very carefully , allow me to draw your attention to a couple things that have been brought up:

- Unlearning is not gone, it is just temporarily disabled until a modified system is ready which should be too long.

- To hide your scouting report, go to the rankings list and view your own gladiator. Jimmy will give you the option to hide it.

- It is possible your new builds will also require you to rethink how you run your gladiators. This won't pertain to all gladiators but it will to some.

- Endurance and loss of health affect the fight more, as such you might consider revisiting your gladiator's strategies. Have everything set to activity 10? Consider lowering it.

- Wearing heavy armour? Yes, you'll be encumbered, but in return you'll be a walking, talking tank capable of ignoring even the beastliest of hits. Still not happy? Train Light as a Feather. it won't reduce your encumbrance in the UI as you are still encumbered at the percent shown, however in combat you will minimize the negative effects more.

- As always as the dust settles we'll tweak and balance things where needed, but remember to let the dust settle first. There are a lot of options out there now, if you feel your new build isn't up to snuff, it might simply be you haven't figured out how to capitalize on it yet. Be patient and may the Blood Gods grant you victory!

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Nate, I used some of Don Flamingos points on his attributes instead of skills, and never got the achievements for completing them. Oops.
    Buzz- Seven Seas "The Biggest Hits In the Pits"

Song the stable works out to - Demon's Eye by Deep Purple on the FireBall Album

Manager of WTK, Dragon City, Dirty Dogs, and Seven Seas.

With one life to live, does it make sense to be unhappy about anything except for having one life to live?

Dain Bramage wasn't allowed to pick a race for some reason....was it because i switched PoleBarn Rangers race? And yes i tried to change his race before anything else. I was going to make him an Urk.

With one life to live, does it make sense to be unhappy about anything except for having one life to live?

Also it seems that the serious injury bug is still around.

Yeah I could change the race of only one of my glads in both my stables. I am ok with it but this has happened..
    Last edited by Lunarion199; 01-12-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Exclamation

I was hoping of hiding skills in scouting report (rather than hiding entire scouting report) as a means for non-cash players to stay competitive in the game at least based on their intuitive skill selection. They will find it difficult to hide it for long and for each glad in the stable (well, $300=Rs15000 my one month salary or my annual internet subscription) while trophy-players may still view theirs - if not in current month then in the next month - using just a trophy.

Had thought such an update would happen. But at least the trophy amounts to view/hide could have been reversed I suppose..

Thanks anyways.. The respec was cool. I feel my glads will flare well, after keeping good records so far.

Regards
    Last edited by Lunarion199; 01-12-2013 at 10:47 AM.