Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cap on deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Dainoji View Post
    Maybe for me death isn't that big of a deal because I used to play games like this back in the day when I would walk uphill both ways in the snow barefoot to get my fight results and death was permanent
    Oh those anxious 2 week waits turned to pure fury when you tore open the envelope to read your pride and joy was slaughtered never to fight again.

Aspiring Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Kaos View Post
    Oh those anxious 2 week waits turned to pure fury when you tore open the envelope to read your pride and joy was slaughtered never to fight again.
    And they still charged you for the turn cost......plus postage.

Best days ever

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwill View Post
    And they still charged you for the turn cost......plus postage.

Back to the topic though. I think there should a cap on deaths you can recieve. It's kinda silly that gladiator who gets killed over and over can just be revived.
    I understand the death sickness, but maybe after 5 or 6 deaths, maybe 10.....he's dead for good.
    That's a lot of dying and even in the supernatural world it's gotta take a toll crossing over so many times to a mortal body.

Are these gladiator's like "Jason" they just keep coming back?

Yes I've seen that happen. I believe the skill Grim Determination is what counter acts that if it's becoming a big issue -- granted you need to get into the 2nd tier of War to get it.
    I'm pretty sure Grim Determination doesn't stop you from dying, it just lets you stay in the fight longer before getting yanked.

"If your gladiator looks to be winning the battle the Enforcer will allow him to continue fighting even if his health is such that normally he would be saved, thus increasing his chances of earning a win."

Quote Originally Posted by Team Kaos View Post
    Back to the topic though. I think there should a cap on deaths you can recieve. It's kinda silly that gladiator who gets killed over and over can just be revived.
    I understand the death sickness, but maybe after 5 or 6 deaths, maybe 10.....he's dead for good.
    That's a lot of dying and even in the supernatural world it's gotta take a toll crossing over so many times to a mortal body.

Are these gladiator's like "Jason" they just keep coming back?
    Good luck with that one, you must be an old school gamer. if you're under 30 you likely have no concept of permanent death in games. They've all grown up with save games, infinite do-overs and unlimited rezzing. Hell, games starting making special "Nightmare" modes where death was permanent for novelty sake! I agree with you though, when you know death means your guy is gone and gone forever it sure makes reading your fights more exciting! On the other hand it really sucks to lose a guy and I could see people quitting the game because of it. Times are different now and if designers stuck to the hardcore principles of the past you'd never see the revolution we are seeing in gaming these days with 15 million players in WOW or 70 million users in Farmville! I can see it now, a tornado comes in and jacks up your farm and you lose everything or your entire guild wipes on the final raid boss and all the toons are deleted from the server for failing. Not sure I'd be sticking with those games!

Aspiring Master
    That's exactly what would happen, too...a mass exodus. The "instant gratification generation"...those who grew up with save-points and other do-overs.... can't draw upon the experience of knowing that death is just that...death. Finality. Game friggin' OVER!!! Those of us who have had entire tribes/empires/alliances wiped off the face of the map...for GOOD...know what it's like to experience a true gaming loss, and we tend to adjust our play strategies...even today..accordingly.

For example: Call of Duty Black Ops Core vs. Hardcore...the same engine, but two totally different games, for the simple fact that in Hardcore, the bullets can actually hurt you Admittedly, it's still not "fatal" for your character, but the game dynamic changes completely when there is a real and tangible threat of loss (even if it's only a loss of a few extra seconds of game time while you re-spawn, or wait for the HQ to be destroyed, etc.)

That having been said, I do agree with the topic at hand. There needs to be a limit to the number of times a gladiator can be resurrected, before his immortal soul takes so much damage that he can't be brought back. Either that, or increase the cost of a resurrection, and do not let the Temple brothers offer "discounts", simply because you cannot afford the full price. Let the guy lie in the ground for a few days until the rest of the stable can come up with the funds.

Obviously, if you only have one gladiator in the stable, an auto-resurrect should be the default.

Aspiring Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dainoji View Post
    I'm pretty sure Grim Determination doesn't stop you from dying, it just lets you stay in the fight longer before getting yanked.

"If your gladiator looks to be winning the battle the Enforcer will allow him to continue fighting even if his health is such that normally he would be saved, thus increasing his chances of earning a win."
    I never said that Grim Determination (GD) stops you from dying. If you presence is really high or you have Crowd Pleaser (or both) than you're often saved by the enforcer before getting another attack in that would have you finished the fight with a win. I believe GD helps with that.