Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cap on deaths?

Aspiring Master

Angry Cap on deaths?

Okay so my latest fighter was rising ranks fast and doing very well. He got to the Elite bracket and was fighting people 3-4 levels higher than him.

So he gets matched up, has a bad round and gets killed. His presence is not the greatest (mid 60's with gear).

So now he's fighting with reduced stats, gets killed again. Rez

Still fighting with reduced stats, gets killed again. Rez

Still fighting with reduced stats, adjusted gear so he has more presence, but again DIES.

Wtf really? So he's died 5 times in a row now!!!! Seriously? Of course he gets very little when he dies...

Anyway maybe I just needed to vent, but this just does not seem right.

Besides the super overpriced not sure it should even be in the game stable upgrade that removes all existence of the death penalty (I think there always should be some penalty), is there anything I can do?

I've changed gear on him so that he has more presence...

IMO the design for the penalty should be changed so that the more times you die the less the death penalty time remains. That way you're still punished for dying but eventually you'll get out of the hole. Instead of what feels like continuous death (which I argue is not fun).
    Last edited by Jaradakar; 02-10-2011 at 09:58 AM.

That does seem a bit frustrating. I don't see why the counter needs to reset for every death. Probably just an oversight.

Despite my loathing of doing it, try doing a down challenge as far as you can go. It may give a little relief in who matches up with.
    It is also the price you pay when having a really good gladiator rise up through the ranks to fast. He gets surrounded by much more
    experienced fighters with no where to hide. Up challenging to move up fast in the ranks has its downside too. And your getting a good taste of it.

Aspiring Master
    Thanks for the suggestion Team Kaos

I've had that happen to me, I think it was three times in a row. Just upgrade your undertaker to the highest level if it bothers you that much, it's a very small price to pay to make your entire stable immune to death sickness and remove any future frustration you are feeling now and If you have more gladiators flying through the rankings it is sure to happen again at some point. If you don't want to do that then do as Team Kaos suggested and down challenge. Start getting gear with Presence and if you are Theatrics start training in Crowd Favorite. Of course the best way to not die is to make sure you win. If you do go the route of stacking your gear with presence though you'll have to start worrying about getting yanked from the fight earlier and losing more often because of it. I'd just upgrade my undertaker and be done with it.
    Last edited by Dainoji; 02-10-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Aspiring Master
    Yeah, that upgrade is more than what I want to spend and it actually bugs me a little that it exists as I personally don't feel that you should be able to totally avoid the death penalty.

I've tried upping presence and I finally lived a 2pm fight, now if I can make it past the night fight, I'll finally be in the clear...

Once you get into the Juggernaut bracket I've found that when I lose I slip in the rankings a lot more than before and if I die it is even greater so while you may not have the attribute penalty anymore if you have the undertaker you'll still lose position and I know for a lot of managers that is a big deal. Maybe for me death isn't that big of a deal because I used to play games like this back in the day when I would walk uphill both ways in the snow barefoot to get my fight results and death was permanent so even if I die two or three times in a row now I'm happy because I can rez and fight another day!

Aspiring Master
    So far I'm luckily that my highest ranked gladiator is theatrics, who almost never dies so it's not an issue. I know this new one it is a greater issue because his default presence is only 60, but that's not horrible, it's just not good. So it seemed unreasonable for x5 death count to toll up. But as with all games that are numbers and random factors, it could just be that I got unlucky.

Aspiring Master
    My guy Omega died 3 times in a row recently. My solution was to strip him, sell him, buy a better fighter and re-spec. It only cost me a little bit of time, and some free gold.

I've had other fighters who caught a bad break or two, and I did as has been suggested...down challenge until the sickness wears off. Pick the rube on the list with the worst win/loss record, and challenge him. Put the best guy on avoid at the same time.

I have also purchased the first level of Undertaker in two of my stables, and that helps a bit (killed a Grape Ape while suffering from The Sickness because I only lost 10% of my stats, instead of 15%).

Another option is to spend skill points raising your Presence. But, as has been mentioned, you need to be careful with this: A really high Presence can cause you to be pulled from a fight for "safety" reasons, even if you are trouncing your opponent. I've had this happen more times than I care to count. That's actually even MORE frustrating than death....

Aspiring Master
    Yes I've seen that happen. I believe the skill Grim Determination is what counter acts that if it's becoming a big issue -- granted you need to get into the 2nd tier of War to get it.
    Last edited by Jaradakar; 02-10-2011 at 05:16 PM.