Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Kreegan View Post
    "Opponent is using (insert type) weapon" will be quite handy.
    With the nature of some weapons, it would allow some styles to get totally blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoede View Post
    Opponent is using a defensive style (parry-x, counterattack, tank)
    Opponent is using an offensive style (lunge, slash, bash, berserk, kill shot)
    Same for triggers based off the opponent's fighting style. That could also lead to a fight where glads keep just changing strategy in reaction to their opponent's strategy change

I know I wouldnt use them, but I think triggers like the following would be good.

I/My opponent is stunned
    I/My opponent has an offensive bonus
    I/My opponent has an offensive penalty
    I/My opponent has an defensive bonus
    I/My opponent has an defensive penalty
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

>>Player Guide Compendium<<

Stable: Team Win
    Official Team Song: Dethklok - Face Fisted
    Gladiators on Note: Ahhnold, Bruce Iee, Duke Nukem, Bruce Willis, Wargh, Kharn

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    P.S. Apoc is still a ninja!

Originally Posted by Kreegan

"Opponent is using (insert type) weapon" will be quite handy.
    With the nature of some weapons, it would allow some styles to get totally blown away.
    This is one of the concerns and the reason they are not in the game currently. I'm not 100% convinced it would be an issue, but chose to err on the side of caution.

Originally Posted by Adoede Opponent is using a defensive style (parry-x, counterattack, tank)
    Opponent is using an offensive style (lunge, slash, bash, berserk, kill shot)
    Same for triggers based off the opponent's fighting style. That could also lead to a fight where glads keep just changing strategy in reaction to their opponent's strategy change
    Same as above, however, the main reason is "trigger battles" would happen a lot with gladiators switching back and forth. This could be addressed by limiting the number of times strategies can change per round but that could come with its own issues.

I know I wouldnt use them, but I think triggers like the following would be good.

I/My opponent is stunned
    I/My opponent has an offensive bonus
    I/My opponent has an offensive penalty
    I/My opponent has an defensive bonus
    I/My opponent has an defensive penalty
    Clearly since most of those are already in the game except for "I am stunned" which wouldn't make sense, since you are stunned and incapable of changing strategies and the defensive bonus ones. Might have to change the "Apoc is still a Ninja" comment and replace it with "Apoc used to be a Ninja!" as Ninja's need to be very observant of their environment!

Keep the ideas flowing if you have them! If it looks like we can add them without upsetting balance we'll make it happen. Thus far I don't see a problem introducing:

- more fine tuned bleeding triggers
    - defensive bonus triggers
    - race triggers

Questionable triggers thus far would be:

- weapon triggers
    - fighting style triggers

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Maybe some clarification on what "Opponent attacks more" and "I attack more" mean then. Does it mean higher offensive activity during the round or more attack attempts during the round on either side? If it's the former, then a trigger for more/less blows landed per round will be useful.

Clearly since most of those are already in the game except for "I am stunned" which wouldn't make sense, since you are stunned and incapable of changing strategies and the defensive bonus ones. Might have to change the "Apoc is still a Ninja" comment and replace it with "Apoc used to be a Ninja!" as Ninja's need to be very observant of their environment!

I agree with the I am stunned being a counter intuitive trigger for flavor reasons. Doesn't mean I cant want it Also, I had a feeling some of the other triggers were present, but I was too tired to double check. Even ninja's get sleepy at times

The bleed rate triggers are something I have found myself wanting at times, and I think they would be a beneficial trigger for niche builds
    Do you want to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women? Then follow the link below!

...the main reason is "trigger battles" would happen a lot with gladiators switching back and forth. This could be addressed by limiting the number of times strategies can change per round but that could come with its own issues.
    This already happens with the activity level triggers and with the "I attack more/Opponent attacks more" triggers. I imagine it would be more a "theoretical" problem than an actual gameplay one. For instance, if my opponent goes to parry-x mode, I might want to do the same. But he's not likely to switch out of parry mode just because I switched to it too. If the opponent goes into counterattack, I might slow my activity level to reduce the number of attacks he can reflect. But that's not likely to start a trigger war either. In fact, I can't think of a realistic scenario that this would actually start a trigger war in game.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Could these be possible?
    * I have suffered serious injury on head/torso/hands/legs
    * I have dealt serious injury on opponent's head/torso/hands/legs

Aside from the issue of trigger wars, I would be against having triggers which detect the strat your opponent is using.

I feel like it would detract from the value of scouting out your opponent beforehand and also would ruin the element of surprise when you adjust your strats in a novel way for a particular matchup. This reduces the value of the manager doing legwork on opponents before matches or being creative with strats and changing them up fight to fight.

For reasons apoc mentioned above, I don't think that detecting the opponents weapon is a good idea either. Certain matchups would be blowouts.

In short, some triggers are best left alone; they are just too powerful and devalue the manager's role in active strategy management and scouting.
    Last edited by Sotc; 04-09-2014 at 07:40 PM.

I actually think the triggers are fine as is.
    Adoede | Tevrosin

Quote Originally Posted by Sotc View Post
    In short, some triggers are best left alone; they are just too powerful and devalue the manager's role in active strategy management and scouting.
    Thing is, you don't need scouting to figure out what weapons the opponent uses and the strategies are fairly easy to deduce for the majority of the fighters. Some of them (normally Rages but not only) use no more than 1-2 strategies 90% of the time.

I actually agree that weapon-based triggers might be a bit too much but on the other hand it will be good to force those "lazy" styles which are efficient with almost no strategy involved to move their asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreegan View Post
    Thing is, you don't need scouting to figure out what weapons the opponent uses and the strategies are fairly easy to deduce for the majority of the fighters. Some of them (normally Rages but not only) use no more than 1-2 strategies 90% of the time.

I actually agree that weapon-based triggers might be a bit too much but on the other hand it will be good to force those "lazy" styles which are efficient with almost no strategy involved to move their asses.
    rage has inherently less variation in strategies because of how the class is designed. You can already use the "If my opponent is rage" trigger if you're that worried.

Also, since the fight engine change a year ago, I went from using 2 lines to using all 5 strategy lines on my rages. Rage has a little bit more diversity in strategies now and isnt as "set and forget" as it once was. The other classes also changed a bit too. Lazy managers are already getting a bit of a penalty because of this, so no need to go further.