Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack power

Attack power

What's the translation between strength and attack power. 1 point strength=?
    Feed Us Blood
    Dilbert Green, Pasquinelli, Damone, Benjiboo & St Lucceiia

Foo Fighters
    Foo Bar, Kung Fooo, Pitythe Foo, Foo Ton & Foo Die

As a young boy, HipsterD dreamt of being a gladiator. Angered by his fathers unwillingness to sell him off as a slave, he ran away and joined the circus...wrong circus. After enduring endless face painting, he decided that pies had no damage inflicting properties at all, so he shanghaied the bearded lady and started a stable of his own.

ive been using 1 strenght = 5 attack. Ive done no math on this but I feel it works well when im chosing achievments.
    (Briteron_by), Theatrics, imperial guards, (subjects), MOTU

Manager since December 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by oedi View Post
    ive been using 1 strenght = 5 attack. Ive done no math on this but I feel it works well when im chosing achievments.
    Is this based on experience with buffs for the same kind of builds? Attack Power might affect damage output with bigger weapons different than how it affects small weapons. All stats and gear should be coded in some way. In example: Damage = stats x weapon base damage x activity level x blood lust x class... What I really want to know is whether or not Attack Power is a + or a x in it all. If it's a + (adding an amount of damage) it would work way better for Byrd of Prey style fighters than it would for 2h ragers since Byrd of Prey styles hit weak but lots (and having damage added to each weak hit makes the hit way better in terms of % of the normal damage output).
    First Stable: Tribus Frisii
    Gladiators: Vannius (Primus), Thys (Primus), Levath (Primus), Varillius (Primus), Arilien.

Second Stable: Frisiorum
    Gladiators: Toringul (Primus), Delorin (Primus), Rowen (Primus), Valinda (Primus), Valeria (Primus).

You're confusing "chance to hit" and damage. Offensive power achievements raise directly your chance to hit but not your damages.

However, I have the feeling that The margin with which you hit over defensive power is taken into account when calculating damage, so it may have a small effect too on damage but only indirectly.

Also, activity level doesn't raise your damage, it reduces it but it raise your chance to hit so overall it has a mixed effect on your total damages/round, depending of how often you hit against a given opponent..

That's why it's recommanded to lower a little your activity level against hard-to-hit very defensive warriors as more of your hits will pass their defense, even if you strike less than with a higher activity level...
    Team Bloody Tigers : Siam (Winner BG 13 and BG 21),Sonja Tigarion (#10 BG 22), Ty Rex (#5 BG 13 and BG 22), Slim Shadow, Master Puss

Quote Originally Posted by Narol View Post
    You're confusing "chance to hit" and damage. Offensive power achievements raise directly your chance to hit but not your damages.
    Are you saying that the achievement "Attack Power" is not directly related to damage doing? How did you obtain this information? Makes little sense unless this is the direct opposite of the "Defense" achievement...which I'm not sure that there is any reason to believe.
    Feed Us Blood

Foo Fighters

As a young boy, HipsterD dreamt of being a gladiator. Angered by his fathers unwillingness to sell him off as a slave, he ran away and joined the circus...wrong circus. After enduring endless face painting, he decided that pies had no damage inflicting properties at all, so he shanghaied the bearded lady and started a stable of his own.

Indeed, "Offensive Power" seems to be the equivalent for attack of "Defensive Power" for defense, and it appears as logical that your chance to hit a specific opponent depends directly of the relative strenght of those 2 parameters.

It's never explained clearly how the "to hit chance" is calculated, but if you look at the skills descriptions (weapons skills or "shock and awe" for example) those 2 stats work the same way and are on comparable scales.

In addition, some skills refers to offensive power when some others are specifically about damages, so offensive power and damages are clearly two distinct things.

Concretely, if for example you use blades, your offensive factor and defensive power are something like that :

offensive power = function1 (Blades skill level, Intelligence, Agility) + total offensive power bonus

defensive power = function2(Blades Skill level, Intelligence, Agility) + total defensive power bonus

PS : I just noticed that achievements use the words "attack power" when skills description use the words "offensive power", but I believe them to be the same thing... Same for "defense" and "defensive power". Maybe that should be clarified...
    Team Bloody Tigers : Siam (Winner BG 13 and BG 21),Sonja Tigarion (#10 BG 22), Ty Rex (#5 BG 13 and BG 22), Slim Shadow, Master Puss

Quote Originally Posted by Narol View Post

PS : I just noticed that achievements use the words "attack power" when skills description use the words "offensive power", but I believe them to be the same thing... Same for "defense" and "defensive power". Maybe that should be clarified...
    Yes, I would agree that if the achievement is NOT Attack Power as it is named in the achievement list (which points to what? Damage), then Offense, or Offensive Power would be better terminology.

Thanks!
    Feed Us Blood

Foo Fighters

Having played the game for awhile I'm fairly confident to say offensive power and attack power are the same thing it's just that gear and achievements say "attack power" while skills say "offensive power". Defensive power and defense are the same thing again with gear and achievements saying "defense". Maybe Nate can clarify if they are the same and possibly change the names to reflect that to clear up any confusion.

As a glads defense increases the damage he takes is decreased (change your race to a Spite to see this happen easily) leading me to believe the computation has some sort of: Offense - Defense = Some number that is related to landing a blow but it also must have something to do with how good a blow is landed which is then factored into the damage equation. So if I am correct that would mean offensive power/attack power and defensive power/defense factors into the "to hit" and "damage" equations. This is just my opinion from what I've seen.
    Last edited by Dainoji; 04-14-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

Also, activity level doesn't raise your damage, it reduces it but it raise your chance to hit so overall it has a mixed effect on your total damages/round, depending of how often you hit against a given opponent..
    I'm not sure that each strategy option works independently. I think a 10 AL and 10 BL will yield different results than 10 AL and 5 BL even though the AL stayed the same. I think the two work in tandem somehow and then of course multiply that by each fighting style and you've got...well, you've got a lot going on.
    Stable: Pirate Booty
    Current Gladiators: Thunder Lips, Zippy Wunderbar
    Freed Gladiators: Chuck Norris

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dainoji View Post
    I'm not sure that each strategy option works independently. I think a 10 AL and 10 BL will yield different results than 10 AL and 5 BL even though the AL stayed the same. I think the two work in tandem somehow and then of course multiply that by each fighting style and you've got...well, you've got a lot going on.
    Totally agree!! It makes it tough for me to figure out what the equation would look like because I suspect that there are actually SEVERAL groups of calculations that are taking place at the same time.

For example: Rage fighter with strength (S) x weapon (W) giving a certain damage value, then calculate the weapon skill level (K) and the experience level (E) and see if any other skills were triggered, like Feint or whatever.... take THAT number and mix it up in another calculation based on activity level and bloodlust, and throw in the style for good measure... take THAT number and mix it up in another equation that takes YOUR results and matches them up against the OPPONENT's results (assuming the same calculations have been made on its side) and you get a damage rating for your attack.

Wwhheewww~~