PDA

View Full Version : Are Pole Arms Balanced?

Jaradakar
01-05-2011, 01:49 AM
I've been trying to run a Pole Arm War Gladiator. I'm trying to run him as a more aggressive War Vs Defensive.

I just fought IZMAK, who's recovering from being dead. I still lost!

He gets 2 attacks in before me, pretty sure that's due to % of gear. I'm at 19% weight (after the scouting report I know he's less, I think 13%).

I've got higher weapon skill than he does 6 Vs his 5! In his current state, I've got higher stats across the board than he does, excluding size.

It is frustrating that he still beat me! Yes, he's got a better weapon and gear (but i've been beaten by many who have less optimal gear than me). From the looks of it, I'd say he just got stupid lucky rolls, which maybe thats all it was.

Here is the fight for your perusal:

R O U N D 1
>> IZMAK SWITCHES TO STRATEGY 1
>> BLACKMAR SWITCHES TO STRATEGY 1
IZMAK carefully circles around BLACKMAR.
IZMAK brings his VORPAL WAR CHAIN crashing down onto BLACKMAR.
IZMAK's attack lands on BLACKMAR's solar plexus inflicting ample injuries! (+27 Damage)
BLACKMAR circles IZMAK like a starved vulture, looking for an opening.
BLACKMAR looks to carve into his enemy.
Bones in IZMAK's arm crack under the powerful impact! (+30 Damage)
R O U N D 2
IZMAK thoroughly circles to and fro.
IZMAK looks to strike BLACKMAR.
Wicked hit destroys BLACKMAR's collarbone sending shards of bone flying everywhere! (+122 Damage)
BLACKMAR has taken some slight damage from this fight!
BLACKMAR thrusts with the bladed tip of his POLE AXE OF AGILITY.
Someone from the crowd screams as IZMAK is hit in the cheek! (+25 Damage)
R O U N D 3
IZMAK attentively moves to and fro.
IZMAK looks for a crushing attack.
The sight of blood cheers the fans as the blow hits BLACKMAR in the side! (+27 Damage)
BLACKMAR glances at some of the larger wounds on his body!!
BLACKMAR bounces quickly to and fro.
BLACKMAR attempts to slice IZMAK.
The shot glances off IZMAK's back. (+16 Damage)
BLACKMAR uses his POLE AXE OF AGILITY to make an awkward strike against IZMAK.
BLACKMAR barely misses.
R O U N D 4
IZMAK attentively paces to and fro.
IZMAK brutally strikes, slamming his VORPAL WAR CHAIN outward with deadly accuracy.
A 360 degree spin move drives the weapon into BLACKMAR's ribs cracking several of them and sends a few into the lungs...wow! (+129 Damage)
IZMAK takes a step back to catch a quick breather.
BLACKMAR is pleading with the Enforcer to spare his life!!!
BLACKMAR shuffles hurriedly to action.
BLACKMAR makes a high arcing slash with his POLE AXE OF AGILITY.
BLACKMAR is aiming at IZMAK's main hand.
BLACKMAR barely misses.
BLACKMAR pauses for a moment to catch his breath.
R O U N D 5
IZMAK yells in anger as the Enforcer saves BLACKMAR's life!
The Enforcer gives the thumbs up!
The fight lasted 45 seconds!

Warmonger
01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Maybe rolls? Maybe he runs faster against war? Maybe there are invisible "favorites" unique to each warrior where if he finds the sweet spot activity level/strategy/type of weapon he performs better with. I don't know. It's hard to tell with random die rolls involved. Weapons have a speed too. I haven't used pole arms much but I would expect they are much slower than one handed weapons. I did give a 2 handed axe to my first rage and ran him 10 activity level and he got jumped constantly before I sold him off.

Jaradakar
01-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah that's what's a bit frustrating, after the scouting report his weapon speed is 1 while mine is 1.15, so it's slightly faster. As far as him getting to attack first, I get it he is less encumbered (at least that's what I've been finding in my tests). If you want to swing first you want your Total Equipment Weight to be really low, basically lower than your opponent. In this case he was lower so he got to go first.

It's possible that the location I was attacking happened to be the location he was defending. Anyway not sure, just puzzling.

Dainoji
01-07-2011, 01:51 AM
I dunno, if you center it on your palm does it fall to one side or the other? If not, I'd say it is balanced. ;)

Blackwill
01-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Pole Arms are fairly slow weapons, and the Armory variety don't do a tremendous amount of damage. You can compensate a little for the slow weapon speed by increasing your Agility and Activity Level, but then you'll be sacrificing Stamina. I don't use them very often, myself, for those reasons.

Jaradakar
01-10-2011, 02:21 PM
What also puzzles me is that even with a Pole Arm skill of 6!!!

I'm still seeing lines like, "BLACKMAR fumbles about with his weapon!"

It really sort of has me questioning the balance of pole arms. Why? Overall it is a bit frustrating!!!

I'm wondering, does it matter what I'm aiming for? Does Pole Arms have an inherent penalty to aiming/finesse?

I'm going to try targeting torso only to see if it makes a difference. But it sort of sucks to have invested into the weapon to a skill of 6 and then have to restart/change weapons, due to the weapon not being any good.

Team Kaos
01-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I've been working with a pole for about 35 fights and it seems not all poles are created equal nor do they function the same depending on what type you have.

If it is a halberd or pole ax you best be using it as a bashing weapon and perhaps a little slashing. If it is more of a spear your only use with it is to lunge. There seem to be a few different types of pole arms and each works faster and more damaging if used "correctly".
I think it is pretty common to see gladiator fumbling around with his weapon even at a level 6, but I am sure if your not using it correctly you will see it more often more so.

Pole arms are also one of the slowest weapons so don't expect to get the jump on your opponent from the start unless you are cranked in agility. But they do seem to wreak havoc when they land and do well as a parry weapon for a WAR fighter.

Jaradakar
01-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Hmm I've been using a Pole Axe. I've seen the Spears and while I suspect those would require you to use a lunging action I've always assumed that Pole Axe would be Slashing... maybe that's part of my problem. I'm pretty focused on Agility (granted overall he's not doing very well).

Jaradakar
01-11-2011, 09:22 AM
It does seem from my initial testing that Bashing does more damage than Slashing with a Pole Axe. Thank you Team Kaos!