PDA

View Full Version : Offensive War Gladiators

Dainoji
11-13-2010, 08:57 PM
It looks like most of the War gladiators I come up against are defensive in nature. Either trying to tank the whole fight and make the other guy pass out, or defend until the opponent is tired and then trigger off of that to start going offensive. Has anyone tried or had success in running a purely offensive War gladiator?

Limpy
11-14-2010, 07:30 AM
I have tried, and against rage gladiators it is almost a must to go offensive.

Justice
11-18-2010, 09:24 PM
My second gladiator, Voltar, has been doing nothing but run offensive (running dual-wield swords right now) for me since I started, and he's been doing pretty well.

Right now I need to work on his equipment some more, since I've upgraded him to epics I'm trying to redress a few issues.

Vrog
11-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah, my main is war, and I get my best results when keeping my activity level no higher than a 6, dropping to 5 then 4 as I get more tired. Almost all of my victories come from having my opponent tire out.

GorbagGutripper
12-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Im trying the offensive strategy for now....of course, finally got my 2nd strategy slot, so will see how he fairs. Switching up weapons as well. I know when I was running high bloodlust I was hitting for massive damage....of course, that was if I hit.....

Justice
12-16-2010, 11:43 AM
First thing I done with Voltar was to increase his weapon skill with one chosen weapon (in my case Blades) to the point before you start losing a lot of skill points trying to increase it (which for me was around level 5).

The main reason why I did this is exactly due to the fact that in fights i was seeing a lot of lines "Voltar makes a clumsy attack" and "Voltar almost drops his weapon". While I still see it, I see it less frequently, and that gives you the opportuntiy to hit for high damage.

If you havent poured points into a weapon skill, I advise you to do it now, especially dual wielding. ;)

Blackwill
12-19-2010, 02:56 PM
I actually just got the scouting report for Voltar today :) After the trouncing I just got from him in the Arena, I was VERY surprised to see his skill distribution. I hadn't expected that skill level in Blades to make as big a difference as it apparently does. It works, and it's a good strategy suggestion. Nice job.

herathe
12-20-2010, 10:10 AM
all my gladiators are specced to be offensive war, and it works well! got a very high win ratio with it (outlaw immortal is the stable name)

Blackwill
12-27-2010, 05:23 PM
I've had some success running War glads both offensive and defensive. It really boils down to the fighter's Stamina, which I find to be even more important than size or strength for a War glad. If you're going full-offense, you'll need the stamina to keep up the pace. If you're on full-defence, you'll need it to out-last the other guy. The most crucial aspect in any fight, however, is the style-vs-style comparison between the two opponents. Scout your potential opponents, and decide which technique to use based on who you plan to challenge.

When you're in a random duel, you're at the luck of the draw.

I'd like to see a Technique option row which would allow you to change strategy based upon which strategy the other guy is using. If the opponent is using Berserk this round, I'd like to use, say, Total-Parry or Counter-Attack. If he's using Counter-Attack, maybe I'd like to try Kill Shot. Etc, etc...

I know that this could lead to a problem of circular logic, though....

Warmonger
01-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't call mine offensive but he doesn't just sit there either. I've been running him in the 3-5 activity range and meeting with a lot of success. I drop him to 1/1 against War gladiators though just in case he runs into a tank. He's got a better record than my war tank but isn't as old so he's ranked lower. I fully expect him to surpass the tank eventually though.