PDA

View Full Version : Gold Exchange

Team Kaos
12-27-2010, 03:38 PM
What's the reason for being able to only exchange gold for 1 trophy per day? Getting a bit backed up in gold with nothing to spend it on since most of the better items require trophies. It will take nearly a month of exchanges before enough trophies are saved up for a purple.

Blackwill
12-27-2010, 04:59 PM
There are a number of ways you can earn extra Trophies for free. You can also purchase them for a pretty low fee (all things considered). I picked up 30, I think, for just under $5 U.S. I used them to buy a purple Flail. Of course, it was an off-hand Flail (which I didn't notice at the time), so it was just about useless, so I sold it for a paltry amount of gold and used THAT to buy a pretty decent green weapon. Had I been paying a bit more attention, I could have used those trophies to much, much better effect.

The system does provide an avenue for the budget-minded player to achieve the same level of success as the paying player....it just takes considerably longer to achieve it :) I know it's very (very) frustrating to have your ass handed to you by a 3rd level gladiator decked out in purple from head-to-toe, but that's just one of the aspects of the game we have to face. The designers put a lot of effort into the game, and buying trophies is one of the ways we can say "thanks for hosting".

Team Kaos
12-27-2010, 07:28 PM
I have no problem with the longer build up to gain trophies by exchnging gold for them compared to loading up on them by making a deposit in the bank. But in order to get 18 trophies for that purple mace or what ever you want to buy at that specific time you can only exchange 150 gold for 1 trophy per day.
Meaning it would take 18 days to save up enough trophies for that purple mace your staring at in the blacksmith right now.
That mace surely won't be needed 18 days later for the same gladiator, he will need something closer to 25-30 trophies or more by then if he's even still alive and will need to save another 12+ days to get that purple which will again be well behind other gladiators.
It just seems to limit the exchange to point that someone could never get the item they need when they need it.
Even if you had 10K in gold, it cannot get you the high quality items that trophies can.

Perhaps even 2 or 3 trophies a day in exchange, which would allow a savings of 14 or 21 per week, which really is not all that many in the overall scheme of the game.

And that's just for buying 1 item. Paying players have the ability to buy 3, 4 or more purples at anytime. They will always have a huge advantage when it comes to weapons and armor.

The way it is now, the "budget" player can never catch up or be even in the same ballpark as the pay player from the first level to the top. The gear makes a dramatic difference.
But there is no reason they can't be competitive at the least, now they are just meat to tenderize. They wont be big dogs but could be little dogs with a big bark.

Gubment Cheeze
12-27-2010, 08:31 PM
I use my excess gold for the Stable Upgrades that require gold. I've also used my excess gold to buy greens. Sure, they are not as good as the purples (as would be expected) but they are far far better than the grays. I've been exchanging my gold for a trophy each day. Basically I'm going to get a free vault slot or purple item each month from it, I just have to be diligent about logging in each day to do the exchange.

I find the ability to get a guaranteed free trophy each day generous, I've tried a crap load of free-to-play games and very few have any avenue to gain free in game currency, and none do so on a daily basis that I've encountered.

There are other ways of getting free trophies. As with nearly every other free-to-play games you have the Trial Pay function. P.O.W. has it too, go to the Bank page and scroll down to the bottom. Use some of the services you might use anyway and you get free trophies. If you dont want to buy anything, then take some of the surveys.

As for the "budget" player not being in the same ball park of the paying player, the top play tester of the Beta Test dominated most of it with mostly greens. Skill goes a long way in this game, gear does matter (as it should) and those who choose to pay to play this game (and therefore give the developer a reason to keep this game going) should have some reward for it (i.e. better gear).

Pit Of War is an enigma in this day's age of dumbed down games. Its not just better gear = better player like so many. Its the skill of the manager combined with the quality of gear that matters. This has been one of the few games I've ever seen that actually balances an advantage for both player skill, and character gear/attributes, meaning either or both can give you an advantage.

Jaradakar
01-05-2011, 01:31 AM
I've been frustrated quite a few times when just after purchasing a killer purple item, I'm owned by a guy in all grey or a few greens (while I'm in almost all blue/purple). Skill in setting up your stat line, and picking the *right* equipment is really important.