PDA

View Full Version : Dual Weapons

Apoca1ypse
12-12-2010, 06:16 PM
is there a bonus to weilding 2 weapons?

when i went to the equipment page and added an offhand weapon, the base damage my gladiator dealt did not change.

does it have a different effect, like acting a backup weapon if your mainhand is disarmed? or just to sneak around your opponent if they are targeting your weapon (main) hand

Dainoji
12-13-2010, 02:45 AM
Yeah, the bonus is when you swing with your off hand it isn't a fist! :)

Seriously though, what I say above can sometimes be the difference between a win and a loss in a close fight, plus if you have a magic item in your off hand you'll be getting whatever benefits it has on it like pluses to strength or attack, etc.

Apoca1ypse
12-13-2010, 03:30 AM
ah fair enough :P cheers mate :)

i just didnt see anything with my offhand when i checked a fight or 2. must have missed...

GorbagGutripper
12-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Ive made a few attacks with an offhand weapon.....too bad I cant make the stinker my main weapon as it is only for off-hand :(

Dainoji
12-13-2010, 04:17 PM
ah fair enough :P cheers mate :)

i just didnt see anything with my offhand when i checked a fight or 2. must have missed...

I don't think it prints out a message every time you attack with your off hand.

Blackwill
12-14-2010, 03:29 PM
The Blow-by-Blow report lists each attack made by the gladiators. Off-hand attacks seem to be infrequent, but they do occur. If the off-hand weapon is a standard (gray) weapon, you are probably better off carrying a shield, as that will provide defensive bonuses, as well as allow you to make the occasional shield-bash attack. Admittedly, the damage done by the shield attack is usually less than a second weapon would be, but the second weapon doesn't give you any defensive edge.

GorbagGutripper
12-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes I always do the blow-by-blow....see the off-hand weapon hit at least once a fight.

Dainoji
12-14-2010, 07:24 PM
The Blow-by-Blow report lists each attack made by the gladiators. Off-hand attacks seem to be infrequent, but they do occur. If the off-hand weapon is a standard (gray) weapon, you are probably better off carrying a shield, as that will provide defensive bonuses, as well as allow you to make the occasional shield-bash attack. Admittedly, the damage done by the shield attack is usually less than a second weapon would be, but the second weapon doesn't give you any defensive edge.

I'm going to disagree on the shield, they're slow, clumsy and weigh a ton. If you aren't trained in it I think you might be placing too much value in them. I'd prefer to have a higher initiative and use less endurance then carry a steel slab in my off hand. I'm also not certain that a secondary weapon doesn't provide some defense, certainly not as much as a shield but I think more than zero.

Blackwill
12-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I can't say for sure, as I am not privvy to the internal workings of the code, but judging by the weapon stats listed I don't believe an off-hand weapon provides any defensive bonus (other than a possible parry once that strategy is unlocked). I may be wrong, but the weapon stats don't list defensive bonuses the way shields do (shields offer both defense and attack stats). That having been said, I would think that any beginning gladiator would take at least one level in Shield skill, which is all that's needed to use it with effect. Of course, there are certainly those advantages mentioned above to keeping your fighter light and playful, as well. Keeping your initiative high seems to be crucial when you are competing against an otherwise evenly-matched oponent. I have seen numerous bouts where everything came down to who got that last hit, first!