PDA

View Full Version : training tactics

CaineDeSoulis
05-11-2011, 02:23 AM
trying a new training tactic on my young gladiator prey. just leveling his weapon skill he's currently level 8 with 6 skill and 70% in blades thought i'd post this and see what other managers think or are trying the same tactic. i'm well aware that this approach will probably take him around 20 levels to gain maximum level in blades

DaMuchi
05-11-2011, 06:52 AM
all i can say is that your training points are better spent on something that actually increases a skill. by level 6, you'd be running on.. what? a 50% success rate? maybe even less? not worth it man.

oedi
05-11-2011, 09:03 AM
training the skill for your weapon of choice to 5 or 6 is good strategy, after that your better off with other skills. i like to train my gladiators in skills from all 3 styles. favorites are signature move, barreling attack and death from above. i must add that i only run theatrics, except for 1 war gladiator.

Apoca1ypse
05-11-2011, 03:13 PM
i always train my weapon to lvl 7 or 8 before doing anything else, especially with theatrics glads as the other 2 skills are not really worth it in low levels.

Dainoji
05-12-2011, 03:59 AM
trying a new training tactic on my young gladiator prey. just leveling his weapon skill he's currently level 8 with 6 skill and 70% in blades thought i'd post this and see what other managers think or are trying the same tactic. i'm well aware that this approach will probably take him around 20 levels to gain maximum level in blades

You'll burn a lot of points that could have been spent elsewhere, but you'll also be ahead of the curve in your weapon skill that could very well translate to more wins. Tough to say how it will pan out for you, but it sounds like some of the other managers do this.

CaineDeSoulis
05-12-2011, 04:25 AM
made skill 7+1 today little bit ahead in terms of points spent 4-9 succeeded. currently sitting at 37.3%

crow
05-12-2011, 05:46 AM
I would recommend building your glad up nice slow and get to your desired level of skill whatever it may be. I have 5 glads that have maxed skills and once your done, your done. There is no going back, so don't get in a hurry. If you lose, you lose. Move on to the next fight, if you want to train up to level 9 or 10 go ahead. Just a thing to consider, I have summit trained to level 10 weapon skill and I could not tell any difference in 9 or 10. Just alot of wasted time.
Personally I train up to level 9 and stop. Going from level 8 to 9 in anything will take about a week and a half. from 9 to 10 will take about a month. It is very hard to get rolls of less than 10.
Watch out for the worthless skills such as crowd pleaser, finishing blow, war cry, show off. Master of Arms can also be a wasted skill if you don't plan on switching weapon types with your war glad. Even barrel attack is a waste if don't plan on training high in death from above. Hope some of this helps.

CaineDeSoulis
05-12-2011, 07:07 AM
hey thanks that was very informative :). the only reason i wanted to shoot for 10 was i assumed it was almost super humanly powerful. you may have just saved me 3-4 weeks of wasting points.

Dainoji
05-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to discount training a skill to 10, I did that in the beta with a few gladiators and my friend has done that with some of his gladiators with good results. In regards to the skills you mentioned as being worthless, again I would disagree. Weren't you one of the mangers complaining you don't have enough gold? Crowd Pleaser would help you there. I haven't even faced an opponent with even a mediocre skill level in Show Off so I'm not sure how you can say that is worthless. Master of arms can be very useful because now a gladiator doesn't have to worry about losing his weapon, any weapon he picks up except an exotic one he will be proficient in. I see theatrics gladiators with more kills than most, so I'm sure Finishing Blow is at work there albeit I wouldn't put it as a "must train in" skill. Finally, I've seen Rage gladiators out jumped by a War gladiator with high trains in War Cry.

As with all things, your mileage will vary, and based on your build, your gear and your strategies I think different skills will be more obvious than others and more or less useful.

Team Kaos
05-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Watch out for the worthless skills such as crowd pleaser, finishing blow, war cry, show off. Master of Arms can also be a wasted skill if you don't plan on switching weapon types with your war glad. Even barrel attack is a waste if don't plan on training high in death from above.

War Cry is a big skill that should not be under estimated when fighting a Rage. And Master of Arms is well worth 6 or 7 skills, don't expect your gladiator to match perfectly against any and all opponents when fighting with the same build all the time. Sometimes you need to change it up.

And rare is it that any of my gladiators have a skill higher then 7.