PDA

View Full Version : Off-hand weapons

wuhugm
12-10-2014, 02:36 AM
Been on my mind since forever...

Why PoW makes distinction between main-hand and off-hand? I mean, was the weapon specifically made for right/left hand? AFAIK it doesn't work like that in real life, a sword is a sword, it's up to the user to use which hand

just wanna rant, since I just won Blood Games, got Legendary Mace, but OFF-HAND, and mine is using a shield. Fuck me, right?

Kuljem
12-10-2014, 08:24 AM
I think of it as his right and left hand. Like, if he is right handed then he will control weapon in right hand much better thus it's main hand, and left hand would be a bit weaker and vice-verse.

wuhugm
12-11-2014, 04:12 AM
But the blacksmith forged the weapons the same way, right?

Kuljem
12-11-2014, 08:04 AM
That would be right.

Apoca1ypse
12-11-2014, 04:09 PM
In real life, not many weapons are for a set hand, so really its just a design thing guys. I think in part it allowed Nate to be able to shields designated as an off hand weapon only.

I have no proof, but I would not be surprised if gladiators were a bit more competent with their main hand weapons. I remember that being debated way back in the day when level 20 was the highest any gladiator had reached. (Things were slower back then. That was about 2 months of game play)

weaw
12-11-2014, 11:25 PM
I guess, in real life, something like AK-47 is a common two-handed option. And something like Uzi is used as a common main-handed. :)
But...

The mankind has used some really strange weapons (and probably uses by now). Like two-handed shields, for some tactical purposes.

Other remarks about "real life" which may have interest for PoW as a suggestions:

-- A fencer have an options to drop one of his weapons (or both) and even throw it to an opponent; // PoW strategies?
-- A fencer also have an option to switch weapons in his hands; // Another strategy?
-- Humans are: right-handed and left-handed. There is also ambidexterity; // It's may be funny to set a priorities for hands (main or off) while buying a gladiator.
-- Really huge (and/or strong) man is able to use two-handed weapon as one-handed; // A small/weak man also may wield two halberds, but without any chances to do anything... So, it's looks like PoW skill based on Str/Size.
-- Some kinds of weapons may be used well in two styles, both one-handed and two-handed. For example, spears, bastard swords etc;
-- In general, any weapon may be used as two-handed, even a small knife. The goal is to increase damage (and probably, accuracy) losing agility;
-- Because (and btw): When a fencer uses one-handed weapon and free off-hand, he has a bonus to his agility.

wuhugm
12-12-2014, 02:14 AM
@weaw

well, that's cool and all bro, but kinda missing the point

let's say you buy a kitchen knife at the supermarket, is there anything preventing you from using it with your either hand? Did anyone ever find a right handed only knife being sold anywhere?

or it's just a design like Apocal1pse said

anyway, I just got another fabled epic off-hand axe, for my shield bearer.... not again....... damn

weaw
12-12-2014, 02:56 AM
let's say you buy a kitchen knife at the supermarket, is there anything preventing you from using it with your either hand?
That's not a good way, talk about PoW like about real life...
Jimmy the Squid forbids a usage off-handed weapon as main-handed! That's all we need. And yes, it's just a design.

But i think, Jimmy the Squid not quite right... And i tried to explain why.

wuhugm
12-13-2014, 02:14 AM
^ well, every fiction based itself someway on real life

like destroying the head kill things and such

btw, got another off-hand epic axe for my shield bearer

3 consecutive rewards gave me off-hand weapons.... Nate, are you messing with me?

At this point I'm not even angry anymore, just astounded....