PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Writers!

Nate
08-21-2014, 09:07 AM
In an PM exchange there has been discussion about spicing up the fight text recently. Apparently some of you out there desire 37 or more pieces of flare with each fight! :cool: I'll be the first to admit that the fight results favor function over form. This is for a couple of reasons, one being I wanted to make sure the message of what is going on is clear. The other reason is I would often times put in place holder text with the plan to go back and finalize it with something snappy. That hasn't always happened. I also wanted the fights to be easy to read and organizing them into little blocks of text representing each gladiator seemed like a good idea for that.

Having said that, I would be happy to have more of a "show not tell" style of fight dialogue with more exciting and engaging prose and less flat and mechanical sentences. Who among us is a budding writer or would like to test out their creative writing skills? If there is enough interest in something like this I will look into a way where I teach you how the game engine reads template sentences for various actions and then you can go crazy with your mad writing skills and send them to me to be included into the game.

There will obviously need to be a level of quality to meet and if the sentences sent back don't meet that standard, unfortunately they can not be included. Command of the English language, proper spelling and grammar are just as important as creativity (If English is not your first language, don't let that stop you from giving it a go if you are interested, you might surprise yourself with what you can come up with!). This is something you would do because you are a fan of the game and would like to be a part of it. The question of being rewarded with trophies for doing this has been asked and the answer to that is no, not officially, however, I'm sure I can think of something to acknowledge your contribution. If it turns out someone does an exceptional job perhaps an additional bonus could happen which may or may not include trophies. I don't want people to feel like they are getting "paid" to do "work" or only doing it because they are getting "paid". That mindset can lead to problems that everyone is better off without. Knowing you are a part of something you enjoy playing is the main reward.

If you are interested in doing something like this please let me know here so I can gauge the level of interest. Thanks!

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

FrosteeFyre
08-21-2014, 10:00 AM
I'd say my mastery over the English language is anything but complete, or impressive, but I'd definitely be willing to attempt to contribute to this effort as a "budding writer". I wouldn't expect any payment, like you say, nor can I guarantee anything extravagant; but if you are looking for a budding writer I'd be happy to help.

Kreegan
08-21-2014, 10:33 AM
I comand meni Inglish. Can join?

Can you give more details about the general idea behind this thing? Adding extra blocks of text between the "action points" (say, the hit exchange)? Adding more details to the current descriptions (say, how many pieces are left from that liver that your gladiator loses 5-6 times a day)? Adding class-specific details for Rage, War and Theatrics? All of these and more?

Adoede
08-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Well, count me in :cool:

Alba Kebab
08-21-2014, 10:16 PM
I've enjoyed writing name suggestions for conquest, and was thinking about writing up some dungeons or background flair when custom conquest is finally rolling.

I'd love to help as well.
So I'm guessing text blocks would follow something like: [weapon] hit [body part] for [damage effect] and [flavor] or somesuch? (btw, I have an extensive command of English vocabulary such as somesuch;))

Dainoji
08-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Count me in too!

Nate
08-24-2014, 11:59 PM
Looks like there is some interest in this so I'll do some work to make it possible for others to contribute.

Since Adoede is the champion for this cause perhaps he would like to explain more what he would like to see and those of you that are interested in this can brainstorm collaboratively in this thread. I suggest taking a current fight in its entirety and transforming it into what you imagine the "final product" would be. This will be a good exercise to turn "cool ideas and thoughts" into reality and along the way you'll find the devil in the details. Keep in mind the fight reports still need to convey all the same information like fighting styles, aiming and defending locations, etc. While I am all for having more form, it can not be at the expense of a loss of function.

I look forward to reading your "translated" fight reports.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Adoede
08-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Here's some excerpts from ideas I threw out to Nate:

In a nutshell, the fight dialogue sometimes falls a bit flat and simply doesn’t fire up your imagination the way it potentially could. So switching to more of a “show” rather than “tell” form of writing might help make the fights feel a bit less “simplistic” and add to the excitement factor of the fights. The quality of the fight dialogues is one of the key things that separates the good arena games from the great ones.

For example:
OGROBLIN drives towards VAARGUS and tries to cut into him.
- This would be more evocative if it said something like:
OGROBLIN arcs his weapon swiftly through the air, hurtling towards his opponent.

The next line:
OGROBLIN looks to seriously damage VAARGUS’s armour! (-Sunder Armour-)
- Nobody tries to damage armor...How about:
OGROBLIN unleashes a sundering blow! (-Sunder Armor-)

The following line:
OGROBLIN connects with his PRIMEVAL BATTLE AXE OF THE BLOOD GODS causing crippling injuries! (+568 Damage)
- “connects”? Seems too weak. How about:
OGROBLIN’s PRIMEVAL BATTLE AXE OF THE BLOOD GODS lands with crippling force!

Another example:
VAARGAS fiercely shoves his ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS forward stunning the crowd.
- “fiercely shoves”? Shoving isn’t fierce. How about:
VAARGUS ducks low and throws his momentum behind a devastating twisting thrust!

The next line:
VAARGUS attempts to destroy his adversary
- too vague and unimaginative. If it is a basic attack, it’d be better to just say:
VAARGUS makes a lunging attack using his ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS

One more example:
VAARGUS uses his ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS to send a deadly assault against OGROBLIN.
- “to send a deadly assault” isn’t colorful enough. What exactly does that look like? What am I supposed to be imagining when reading that line?

I think you get my drift.

Editing all the basic attacks / critical attacks / critical dodges and parries for each weapon to this language style is a lot of work, but that's what's in the cards here.

Adoede
08-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Another point about the fight dialogues is that there is a lack of detail regarding the initiative battles taking place throughout the fights. Most fights tend to be one person attacking, then the other attacking, etc… But where is the detail about the vitally-important struggle to seize the initiative? Nate has said he designed the fights to just show each fighter’s actions in one block, but that means there is no dialogue that shows what is happening in the struggle to see who gets to act next in the fight.

Typical fight where glads basically just take turns attacking:
OGROBLIN hustles frantically around his opponent.
OGROBLIN drives towards VAARGUS and tries to cut into him.

VAARGUS moves and hops around his enemy.
VAARGUS fiercely shoves his ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS forward stunning the crowd.

VAARGUS whips around with his off hand.
VAARGUS attempts to destroy his adversary.

OGROBLIN charges frantically back and forth.
OGROBLIN leaps forward viciously pummeling VAARGUS with his PRIMEVAL BATTLE AXE OF THE BLOOD GODS.

VAARGUS moves and springs around his opponent.
VAARGUS uses his ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS to send a deadly assault against OGROBLIN.

Having the details of the initiative battle going on between the glads is what makes the fights read smoothly and with a greater sense of continuity. And these little details play a big role in helping the reader envision exactly what is happening in the fight.

Example of winning the initiative battle:
MADIGANT dodges the oncoming blow
Weapons clash as the gladiators vie for the initiative (indicating an initiative battle)
MADIGANT quickly seizes on an opening to attack! (indicating Madigant won the initiative roll)
MADIGANT unleashes a breathtaking arcing slash with his GREATSWORD!
What a DEVASTATING attack!

OR

Example of losing the initiative battle:
MITHROS easily evades the attack leaping to his left!
MITHROS is looking for the counter-attack (indicating Mithros trying to take the initiative away)
ZODAK moves furiously to and fro (indicating Zodak wouldn’t let him)
ZODAK’s LONGSWORD sings as it cuts through the air!
MITHROS masterfully shifts his body out of harm’s way
MITHROS leaps forward in a blur of motion
The warriors dance around each other testing each other’s defenses (another initiative battle)
ZODAK moves decisively on the attack! (Again Zodak wins the initiative/decisiveness battle)
ZODAK lunges forward with a powerful twisting thrust!
MITHROS takes a blow to his LEFT LEG
MITHROS is brought to his knees by the force of the blow!

Just by having a line or two of dialogue indicating an initiative clash is taking place followed by one that shows which glad seized the initiative and what they did with it makes a huge difference in helping the dialogue come alive. All of the sudden it is easy to picture the battle taking place as you read the fight dialogue. These initiative battles don’t have to follow every attack, but just whenever there is a shift of the initiative from one glad to the next – or a potential shift that gets overpowered.

Nate
08-25-2014, 03:17 AM
This thread is starting to stray a little off topic so I'm going to reel it back in. It appears you may have a fundamental misunderstanding on how the underlying game is designed. PoW is a skills based game. A large factor of what makes up a gladiator IS his skills. A gladiator in the blood god bracket with a 10 weapon skill vs a gladiator in the Champions bracket with a level 10 in his weapon are almost equal in regards to handling their weapon. Based on the attributes that modify the skill that are listed in the tooltip one may be better than the other if those attributes are higher. If you want bigger crits, train in skills or equip gear that affects that. If you want to parry more, use a fighting style that offers that and train in skills that offer defense, etc. A gladiator with a higher level in a skill will use it more often, that is your gradation. A gladiator doesn't magically become awesome the older he gets or have special abilities granted to him because he reached a new bracket. He gets better by careful planning and manually building up his skill build in addition to his gear and strategy. As a gladiator levels there are advantages in the form of increased health and a few others but by and large a gladiator is his strategy, skills and gear.

This thread isn't about changing the underlying game engine or mechanics, it is about making the current fight text "more engaging". This is really just cosmetic.

Again, I encourage those interested to take existing fights in their entirety and line by line change it to how you think the final report would look like in your mind once it has been translated into a "show not tell" format with engaging sentences, etc. Each line need not be present in the translated version and additional sentences may need to be added to realize your vision. When done post it in this thread so everyone can take a look. You may consider having the new text in a different color to highlight the differences.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Alba Kebab
08-25-2014, 05:38 AM
O I see, maybe I'll try something till the weekend, when I've got hrs on end to sit and muse.

Adoede
08-25-2014, 06:10 AM
Ah. I guess I'll pick away at that through the week. I'll delete my last post about criticals too to avoid confusion.

Kreegan
10-18-2014, 10:14 PM
So, is this initiative dead? I was fairly busy during the last few months but now I have some spare time and can give a few suggestions, if this is still in the agenda.

For starters, the activated skills could use some variety in their expression instead of giving one and the same line every time, i.e. when an activated skill triggers, the "flavour" provided could vary. An example:

Barreling Attack:
Base: X tries to knock Y down with the force of the blow.
Alternative 1: X focuses his strength in a mighty strike, trying to send Y to the ground;
Alternative 2: X throws an overwhelming strike in a brutal attempt to feed Y some dirt;
Alternative 3: X spots an opportunity to knock his/her opponent off balance and charges with bestial power;
Alternative 4: X roars as he/she tries to force Y bite the dust with a vigorous swing.

If modifications like this are possible, I'll go through the rest of the skills.

Nate
10-20-2014, 08:53 PM
I outlined what needed to be done for those interested but never heard back. I took that to mean there wasn't really much of an interest after all.

Again, I encourage those interested to take existing fights in their entirety and line by line change it to how you think the final report would look like in your mind once it has been translated into a "show not tell" format with engaging sentences, etc. Each line need not be present in the translated version and additional sentences may need to be added to realize your vision. When done post it in this thread so everyone can take a look. You may consider having the new text in a different color to highlight the differences.

If you would like to focus on just the skill sentences instead that would be ok too. When you are ready, please post them to this thread. To make it easy to do find and replace, instead of using X and Y, use GLADIATOR1 and GLADIATOR2. Thanks!

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Kreegan
10-21-2014, 07:11 AM
I intend to get to the outlined bit too but first I want to check if the part with the activated skills fits the concept in general and then eventually proceed with enrichening the soul of the battles themselves. :p

Here are some suggestions for the Rage tree (move Barreling Attack to this post as well):

Note: I'm trying to stick to the fact that some of the activated skills are not unconditionally successful, i.e. they can be parried or deflected. That makes the provisioning of the "flavour" part a bit tricky and in some cases it may sound almost like it is already successful (see Adrenaline Rush for instance), which could be a bit over the top. Let me know if these bits should be reworked to sound more like real attempts rather than successful attacks.

Barreling Attack:
Base: GLADIATOR1 tries to knock GLADIATOR2 down with the force of the blow.
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR1 focuses his strength in a mighty strike, trying to send GLADIATOR2 to the ground;
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 throws an overwhelming strike in a brutal attempt to feed GLADIATOR2 some dirt;
Alternative 3: GLADIATOR1 spots an opportunity to knock his/her opponent off balance and charges with bestial power;
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 roars as he/she tries to force GLADIATOR2 bite the dust with a vigorous swing.

Sunder Armour:
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR1's readies an ominous strike aimed at shattering armour and flesh.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1's weapon comes down with supernatural force, promising to obliterate everything on its path.
Alternative 3: GLADIATOR1's unrelenting attack seeks to destroy the integrity of GLADIATOR2's armour.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 screams madly as he/she tries to devestate the armour of GLADIATOR2 with a massive blow.

Adrenaline Rush:
Alternative 1: Insanity fills the gaze of GLADIATOR1, his/her body is no longer made of flesh and bone.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 falls into blood trance, weak weapons can no longer harm him/her.
Alternative 3: The mad frenzy engulfs GLADIATOR1 completely as he/she rushes toward GLADIATOR2.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 throws him/herself furiously onto the opponent, ignoring the puny concerns of mortality.

Rampage:
Alternative 1: The weapon of GLADIATOR1 screams the name of Death as it descends upon GLADIATOR2.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 throws his/her whole weight into a majestic blow.
Alternative 3: People in the crowd scream in horror as GLADIATOR1 charges like a feral beast toward GLADIATOR2.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 launches a demonic attack that honours the Blood Gods against GLADIATOR2.

Cripping Might:
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR1's weapon lands with unforgiving force, ignoring all defenses.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 looks with disgust at GLADIATOR2's pathetic attempts to protect him/herself against the unstoppable attack.
Alternative 3: The strength and precision in GLADIATOR1's attack leave no chance for GLADIATOR2 to defend him/herself properly.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR2's attempts to protect him/herself are brutally overcome by the power of the blow.

I'll continue with War and Theatrics later this week.

Adoede
10-22-2014, 07:25 AM
Still interested in this, but I've been extremely busy of late. Perhaps I'll revisit it when I have some time.

FrosteeFyre
10-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Equally busy with full University course load with ridiculous amounts of readings and essays, unfortunately I'm down for the count until late December, sorry folks!

Kreegan
10-23-2014, 05:54 AM
War skills below:

Death from Above:
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR1 slowly takes a few steps back and suddenly launches his/her whole weight into the air toward GLADIATOR2.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 dives under GLADIATOR2's hasty swing and jumps to deliver the punishment.
Alternative 3: GLADIATOR1 forcefully pushesh GLADIATOR2 away and jumps to destroy him/her.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 makes a series of deceptive manoeuvers before pushing him/herself off the ground in a great leap.

Never Say Die:
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR1 faces the attack of GLADIATOR2 with iron resolve.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 refuses to submit to his/her opponent and stands ready to reclaim the battle.
Alternative 3: GLADIATOR1 casts an icy glance at GLADIATOR2 and prepares to stand his/her ground.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 assumes defensive position and gathers all his/her strength for the final resistance.

War Cry:
Alternative 1: The lungs of GLADIATOR1 nearly explode as he/she releases a deafening roar.
Alternative 2: Newcomers in the arena freeze on their seats after GLADIATOR1's thunderous shout.
Alternative 3: GLADIATOR2 almost falls to the ground when GLADIATOR1 gives a godlike war cry.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1's face turns red before releasing a terrifying shout.

Create Distance:
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR2's attack is interrupted halfway by a timely kick in the chest.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 evades the incomming strike and uses GLADIATOR2's wasted momentum to push him/her away.
Alternative 3: GLADIATOR2 stares in confusion when he finds him/herself a few feets away from GLADIATOR1 after the failed attack.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 carefully follows the moves of GLADIATOR2 and easily repels the attack.

Kreegan
10-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Theatrics skills:

Feint:
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR1 juggles with his weapon, trying to distract GLADIATOR2 and make a surpising attack.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 takes a seemingly clumsy step, causing GLADIATOR2 to drop his/her guard for a moment in an attempt to exploit it.
Alternative 3: GLADIATOR1 swings his weapon like he/she's trying to carve a picture into the air but suddenly the motion changes into something much deadlier.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 makes a series of fake attacks, unnerving GLADIATOR2 enough to open a gap in his/her defenses.

Strength of the Crowd:
Alternative 1: People all over the stands scream the name of GLADIATOR1 with awe.
Alternative 2: The crowd is driven to ecstatic madness by GLADIATOR1's artistic suffering and roars for more.
Alternative 3: Eyes closed, GLADIATOR1 opens his/her arms to embrace the strike of GLADIATOR2, causing a burst of applauses.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 screams in pain before the blow has even landed, triggering a wave of laughter and cheers.

Hamstring:
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR1 targets a particularly painful spot, trying to cripple the ability of GLADIATOR2 to fight back.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 tries to sever the sinews from the bones of GLADIATOR2.
Alternative 3: GLADIATOR1 lands a carefully placed blow aimed at disrupting the offensive techniques of GLADIATOR2.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1 prepares a sinister attack that would make GLADIATOR2 whimper in pain for the crowd.

Surprise Ending:
Alternative 1: With an unbelievable motion GLADIATOR1 redirects the power of the attack back at GLADIATOR2.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR2 suddenly finds him/herself defending against his/her own strike.
Alternative 3: The crowd goes wild as GLADIATOR1 manages to turn the attack of GLADIATOR2 against him/her.
Alternative 4: Spectators on the first rows can't believe their eyes when GLADIATOR1 makes an impossible move that turns the direction of GLADIATOR2's attack.

Entangle*:
Alternative 1: The net of GLADIATOR1 drops like a cloak of death on GLADIATOR2.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 grabs his/her net with both hands and throws it at GLADIATOR2.
Alternative 3: GLADIATOR1 distracts GLADIATOR2 with a few fake moves of his/her main hand weapon and casts his/her net at the opponent.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR2 fails to spot GLADIATOR1's left hand motion in time and sees the falling web at the last moment.

*The Entangle skill text appears only when the net is used (no text for the whip) so the above descriptions are just for that weapon.

Signature Move is missing for a reason. These are actually 3 different skills under 1 cap so I'll need to some time to shape them up (probably will use the old Signature Move: Blind/Sweep/Disarm like it is an individual skill).

I'll probably start with the "battle sentences" next week(end). One question to Nate though - are we focusing only on the fight itself or also on the beginning and endings? I think the arena can become more "alive" if there is more than just one line before/after the gladiators get at each other's throats.

Kreegan
11-02-2014, 01:51 AM
Here is a general concept of what could be added to the "essence" of the arena matches before they even begin:

1. The arena, the crowd, the spectacle before the spectacle, etc.

The gladiatorial fight is the main event on the arena but it's not the sole entertainment provided to the crowd. Before the beginning of each fight, there could be other events which prepare the stage for the main one or just edge the appetite of the spectators for what is to come. These could include acrobatic performances, dances (slave girls of course ;)), actors re-creating some event related to the Great Realm or playing a parody of an arena fight, beastmasters displaying and taming some exotic creature, even priests performing a sacrifice to honour the Blood Gods. Additionally, a simple description of the crowd and its preparation for the spectacle could be given.

Example 1:

"Gentry and rabble from all over the Great Realm fill the great amphitheatre. Fights erupt over the last free seats, forcing the guards to intervene and ruthlessly beat the troublemakers out of the arena. City nobles settle on the Grand Stand, casting a contemptuous glance at the tattered crowd that creeps all around them and order to be served wine and women. Today's fights promise to be exciting."

Example 2:

"The bloodthirsty crowd threatens to tear apart the ancient arena. One of the floor gates opens and spits a dozen of fightened prisoners of war who start running in random directions. The great host screams in excitement as the guards shoot arrows at the doomed wretches, dropping them one by one. Javelins and throwing knives are distributed among the spectators on the first rows to finish the wounded. The arena officials observe with satisfaction the results of the diversion and make the final preparations of the main event."

2. The gladiators enter.

Each gladiator is a star or at least an object of interest for the arena visitors. Being the main participants in the games, their appearance (preceded by deliberately built up tension) is a special moment. Currently we don't have any real "appreciation" of that moment, except an occasional line before the start of the battle related to the fighters. This could be changed to a short text for each of the fighters' appearance (which is more personal) or to small paragraph for both of them.

Example 1 - separate texts:

Gladiator 1 enters: GLADIATOR1 steps on the sands, welcomed by shouts from all sides. Paying no attention to the insults that the fans of his opponent throw at him, he/she raises his weapon high in the air, greeting all who will support him in the upcoming battle and immediately attracting the approving roar of thousands.

Gladiator 2 enters: GLADIATOR2 crushes the jaw of one of his overseers with a powerful punch, kicks another one in the stomach, sending him a few feet back, and before the others could restrain him, he/she emerges on the arena floor, ready to deliver far greater pain to his/her opponent.

Example 2 - single text:

The Enforcer calmly watches as the two opponents take their first steps on the arena floor. As they move to the centre under the screams of the crowd, he commandingly raises his huge right right hand, imposing silence over the countless visitors. The gladiators stare at each other, waiting for the sign that the blood spilling can start. The Enforcer looks up at the Grand Stand where a figure in splendid robe nodes in approval. The death match begins.

If there is any room for something like that, I'll develop it further.

Suggestions about the fight itself and the end of battle to come next.

Nate
11-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks Kreegan, I'll try and get the additional skill sentences into the game in the near future. The green skill sentences would be candidates for easy additional text as well. I.e. block, armour penetrations, etc. If you need a list of them let me know. The gladiators entering the arena could be cool. I wonder if it would be more interesting to somehow allow the player to choose their entrance from a collection of sentences or something like that which allows them to create a semi-custom intro. I've often wondered if players would be interested in somehow customizing the fight text themselves. Since the game is a text based game and doesn't offer all the nifty customizable options that other games have. The main issue I could see with this is quality control and foul language usage etc. A first step though would be canned intros like you are creating.

EDIT: Here are the green sentence categories right now:

Block = A shimmering field of blue light surrounds GLADIATOR2's armour!
Armour Penetration = GLADIATOR1's weapon screams as it bites deep!
Kill = An ominous column of red and black mist shoots down upon { GLADIATOR1 }!
Life Protection = A brilliant golden light surrounds { GLADIATOR1 }!

Kreegan
11-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Here's something for the green skills:

Armour Penetration:
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR1 effortlessly drives his/her weapon directly through GLADIATOR2's armour.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR2's armour fails to provide any protection against the extraordinary strike.
Alternative 3: The weapon of GLADIATOR1 blurs strangely and meets no resistence from GLADIATOR2's armour.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR1's weapon goes right for GLADIATOR2's flesh like a hungry predator.

Block:
Alternative 1: An invisible barrier gets in the way, breaking the attack of GLADIATOR1.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1's weapon astonishingly bounces off the very air in front of GLADIATOR2's armour.
Alternative 3: As if it has suddenly become alive, GLADIATOR2's armour turns into an impenetrable obstacle.
Alternative 4: GLADIATOR2 looks amazed after his/her weapon is repelled by a mighty force.

Life Protection:
Alternative 1: GLADIATOR2 looks confused as a mysterious power causes him/her to drop his/her weapon right before he/she could deliver the death blow.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR2's muscles are suddenly paralyzed when he/she tries to finish GLADIATOR1.
Alternative 3: A golden barrier deflects GLADIATOR2's weapon high in the air when he/she tries to kill GLADIATOR1.
Alternative 4: A maginificent cone of light moves GLADIATOR1 to safety just before GLADIATOR1 could strike for the last time.

Kill:
Alternative 1: The Blood Gods themselves force GLADIATOR2's weapon into the flesh of the unworthy GLADIATOR1.
Alternative 2: GLADIATOR1 is suddenly engulfed in white-hot flames, turning him into a screaming torch.
Alternative 3: A horrifying sound coming from the very fabric of the world fills the ears of everybody on the arena right before GLADIATOR1's body explodes into thousand pieces.
Alternative 4: Blood-red light illuminates GLADIATOR1 as a final verdict and the Enforcer commands GLADIATOR2 to execute it.

Nate
11-25-2014, 11:26 AM
As many you will have noticed, the new sentences Kreegan created are now live in the game. Please join me in thanking Kreegan for his help. Anyhow else who is interested in helping out, you are welcome anytime.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Nate
11-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Anyone can offer new sentences for any that have already been listed above. In addition we could still use more for the following:

Signature Move: Disarm
Signature Move: Sweep
Signature Move: Blind

For the whip
Entangle: Disarm
Entangle: Sweep

For the above, it is possible they are not successful, so keep that in mind. That is why they usually read like:
"{ WarriorName } looks to sweep { TargetName } with one of { WarriorHis } signature moves!"

Moving forward please use the following tags:

Names:
GLADIATOR1 = { WarriorName }
GLADIATOR2 = { TargetName }

GLADIATOR1 Him, His, He, Himself = { WarriorHim }, { WarriorHis }, { WarriorHe }, { WarriorHimself }
GLADIATOR2 Him, His, He, Himself = { TargetHim }, { TargetHis }, { TargetHe }, { TargetHimself }

Other tags you can use in your sentences:

Weapon:
GLADIATOR1's weapon = { ActiveWeaponName }
GLADIATOR2's weapon = { TargetActiveWeaponName }

Race:
GLADIATOR1's race = { WarriorRace }
GLADIATOR2's race = { TargetWarriorRace }

If you need access to something else let me know and if there is already a tag for it I'll let you know, and if not I can try look into adding it.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Stormcloak
11-26-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks Kreegan and Nate!
FWIW, I also like the idea of custom "stock" intros to choose from for your gladiators:)

Apoca1ypse
11-27-2014, 04:40 AM
Whip sig move disarm:

A loud crack rings out across the arena as { WarriorName } tries to strike the hands of { TargetName } with { WarriorHis } { ActiveWeaponName }.

{ WarriorName } seeks to ensnare { TargetName }'s { TargetActiveWeaponName } and pull it to the ground with { WarriorHis } { ActiveWeaponName }

Whip Sig move Sweep:

{ WarriorName } seeks to tangle up the feet of { TargetName } with a well aimed strike from { WarriorHis } { ActiveWeaponName }.

The crowd gasps in anticipation as { WarriorName } tries to use { WarriorHis } { ActiveWeaponName } to pull the feet out from underneath { TargetName }

Generic sig moves

Signature Move: Disarm

{ WarriorName } seeks to ensnare { TargetName }'s { TargetActiveWeaponName } and cast it aside with { WarriorHis } { ActiveWeaponName }

{ WarriorName } strikes the hands of { TargetName } in an attempt to get { TargetHim } to drop { TargetHis } { TargetActiveWeaponName }

Signature Move: Sweep

The crowd cheers as { WarriorName } tries to kick the feet out from underneath { TargetName }.

Members of the crowd cringe as { WarriorName } kicks the side of { TargetName }'s knee in an attempt to drive { TargetHim } to the ground.

Signature Move: Blind

In { WarriorHis } signature sneakiness, { WarriorName } kicks sand into the eyes of { TargetName } in an attempt to blind { TargetHim }

{ TargetName } cries out in disgust as { WarriorHis } kicks sand into { TargetHis } eyes.

While their weapons are locked, { WarriorName } uses the opportunity to spit some coughed up blood into the eyes of { TargetName } in { WarriorHis } signature visceral fighting style ***not happy with this one

While their weapons are locked, { WarriorName }'s visceral fighting style comes to the fore, as { WarriorHe } uses the opportunity to spit some coughed up blood into the eyes of { TargetName }

Some for kills, if possible? Blood for the Blood God(s)! am I right?

{ WarriorName } maniacally roars in triumph as { TargetHe } tears the head off of { TargetName }'s battered corpse

{ WarriorName } dedicates his victory to the Blood Gods by ending the life of { TargetName }, sending gore across the arena sands.

{ TargetName }'s body is rent asunder by { WarriorName }, who proceeds to pose over the now ruined corpse

The crowd cheers as { WarriorName } eviscerates { TargetName } before the Enforcer can end the fight.

{ WarriorName } holds { TargetName }'s severed head towards the sky as an offering to the Blood Gods

Stormcloak
11-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Here's a few more canned entrances, on top of the couple Kreegan did...

Gladiator1 emerges to the thunderous applause of the crowd and purposefully takes up his position. Standing perfectly still, he does nothing except glare with intent into the eyes of his opponent. The cries from the spectators soon die down from the lack of flourish… they know Gladiator1 means business and that this will get ugly.

Gladiator1 enters the theatre of blood and kneels down on the sands. Bowing his head, he grabs a handful as he whispers a prayer to The Blood Gods. He then rises and looks off to the distance… there has been a shift in the winds…

Gladiator1 arrogantly struts into the arena amidst the hisses and catcalls from the audience. He sneers at them with a rude gesture which seems to only enflame them more.

Gladiator1 pushes his handlers out of the way and plants himself in the middle of the arena. Snorting heavily, he clangs his weapon off his shoulder and with a deafening cry raises his arms to the sky as he turns around to meet the approval of the crowd.

Gladiator1 runs onto the field to meet the fanfare and adulation of his fans. He pulls off his helmet to display his beaming smile, blows them a kiss, and bows to the crowd.

The door rises, and Gladiator1 is sitting on the bench meticulously sharpening his weapon. He looks out to the arena and screaming fans and rises, putting on his helmet to meet them and face the unfortunate individual before him.

Gladiator1 walks onto the field with a perfectly choreographed display of movement and pattern with his weapon, as he strikes at imaginary foes with practised precision and grace. He finishes with a salute to the Grand Stand, and shoves his weapon into the sands as he defiantly faces his enemy.

Adoede
03-06-2015, 07:47 AM
I've often wondered if players would be interested in somehow customizing the fight text themselves. Since the game is a text based game and doesn't offer all the nifty customizable options that other games have. The main issue I could see with this is quality control and foul language usage etc. A first step though would be canned intros like you are creating.

That would be very cool....

Adoede
03-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Here are some suggestions for spicing up the Parry/Dodge texts:

Critical Parries:
1) Nate's Broadsword rings as it deftly intercepts the attack!
2) With a subtle shift in his stance, Nate masterfully positions his Wall shield to negate the attack!
3) Nate forcefully shoves the strike aside with a dismissive grunt!
4) Nate's Epee flashes back and forth as he skillfully deflects the force of the blow!
5) Summoning the will of the gods, Nate absorbs the full force of the blow and stands unmoved!

Critical Dodges:
1) With lightning quick reflexes, Nate snakes out of harm's way!
2) Nate contorts his body in an impossible display of balance as the attack sails harmlessly by!
3) Nate's body is a blur of motion as he dances his way around the attack!
4) Opponent looks like he's moving in slow motion as Nate easily ducks under the path of the attack!
5) Nate thoroughly outmaneuvers Opponent leaving his opponent striking at air!
6) Opponent watches incredulously as Nate runs up the arena wall and leaps over the attack!

Adoede
03-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Finally had a chance to edit a fight to show what I thought it might look like to add more detail of the initiative battles going on to add more color to the fights:
Initiative texts are added in red...

R O U N D 1
>> BLOODY LADY SWITCHES TO STRATEGY 1
>> SERAPH MITHROS SWITCHES TO STRATEGY 1

Sparks fly as the gladiators fight for the initiative!
SERAPH MITHROS quickly seizes on an opening to attack!
SERAPH MITHROS runs uncontrollably back and forth.
SERAPH MITHROS tries to injure BLOODY LADY.
SERAPH MITHROS's ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS tastes victory and inflicts massive injuries on BLOODY LADY's upper arm! (+305 Damage)
BLOODY LADY's arm might never fully heal!!! *** Serious Injury ***
Resisted Can Not Defend Effect!

>> SERAPH MITHROS SWITCHES TO STRATEGY 3

Weapons clash as the fighters engage with deadly intent!
BLOODY LADY seizes the initiative and moves to strike!
BLOODY LADY jumps and skips around SERAPH MITHROS.
BLOODY LADY lunges, her ANCIENT SABER OF THE BLOOD GODS moving with deadly accuracy.
BLOODY LADY looks to hamstring SERAPH MITHROS! (-Hamstring-)
The blow to SERAPH MITHROS's outer thigh lands with beastly force! (+198 Damage)

BLOODY LADY looks at the crowd as she whirls around the battle field.
BLOODY LADY seeks to slash her adversary.
BLOODY LADY tries to fake SERAPH MITHROS out with a few twirls of her weapon! (-Feint-)
BLOODY LADY smiles after the magnificent hit to SERAPH MITHROS's knee! (+202 Damage)

Weapons cross as the combatants fight for the advantage!
BLOODY LADY's ANCIENT SABER OF THE BLOOD GODS is a blur of steel.
Freakish slash to the back of SERAPH MITHROS's leg almost removes it about mid thigh...blood sprays from the wound like a fire hose! (+204 Damage)
Resisted Must Defend Effect!

SERAPH MITHROS looks at his body and notices he has taken a few hits!

SERAPH MITHROS makes a decisive move to attack!
SERAPH MITHROS moves furiously trying to gain the advantage.
SERAPH MITHROS charges forward, his ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS stabbing with lightning quick speed.
SERAPH MITHROS aims for BLOODY LADY's front leg..
Cyclopean strike spears BLOODY LADY in the ankle and nearly rips her foot off! (+317 Damage)
BLOODY LADY drops to one knee after the shot!

BLOODY LADY bursts out aggressively to take control of the match!
BLOODY LADY attempts to strike from the ground.
BLOODY LADY tries to carve into her adversary with her ANCIENT SABER OF THE BLOOD GODS.
SERAPH MITHROS twists away but is caught with a hard slash to the leg! (+32 Damage)

R O U N D 2
BLOODY LADY almost gets up onto her feet, but gets kicked back down!
Blood continues to pour from SERAPH MITHROS's body!!!

The gladiators circle one another hungry for a weakness to exploit!
SERAPH MITHROS pounces on an opportunity to strike!
SERAPH MITHROS moving with awesome speed makes a swift lunge with his ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS.
With a beastly thrust BLOODY LADY's lower arm is mangled as the weapon enters and is then retracted! (+172 Damage)

BLOODY LADY has taken some slight damage from this fight!

BLOODY LADY wills herself to regain the initiative!
BLOODY LADY moves around on the ground looking for an opening to strike.
BLOODY LADY lunges forward, thrusting with her ANCIENT SABER OF THE BLOOD GODS.
The sight of blood cheers the fans as the blow hits SERAPH MITHROS in the Achilles tendon! (+52 Damage)

SERAPH MITHROS catches his opponent off-balance and moves to attack!
SERAPH MITHROS hurtles uncontrollably back and forth.
SERAPH MITHROS looks to an off handed strike to deal damage.
SERAPH MITHROS counter attacks.
SERAPH MITHROS looks to hamstring BLOODY LADY! (-Hamstring-)
A shimmering field of blue light surrouds BLOODY LADY's armour! (-Block-)
BLOODY LADY's armour protects her!

The gladiators trade blows as they seek to wear down one another’s defenses.
BLOODY LADY presses through her opponent’s defenses!
BLOODY LADY whips around with her off hand.
BLOODY LADY moves at SERAPH MITHROS with an unsteady shield bash.
SERAPH MITHROS is filled with power! (-Strength of the Crowd-)
BLOODY LADY goes for SERAPH MITHROS's calf and connects with her ANCIENT TOWER SHIELD OF THE BLOOD GODS creating tiny wounds. (+3 Damage)

R O U N D 3
BLOODY LADY yells in frustration as she looks for an opening to stand!
SERAPH MITHROS has some pretty nasty cuts and bruises on his body!!
SERAPH MITHROS is no longer affected by Hamstring

SERAPH MITHROS bursts out aggressively to take control of the match!
SERAPH MITHROS dances and skips around BLOODY LADY.
SERAPH MITHROS overtakes BLOODY LADY and seeks to jab his opponent.
A shimmering field of blue light surrouds BLOODY LADY's armour! (-Block-)
BLOODY LADY's armour protects her!

SERAPH MITHROS takes a step back to catch a quick breather.

BLOODY LADY sees an opportunity to strike.
BLOODY LADY looks to cleave SERAPH MITHROS.
Mighty slash rips a chunk out of SERAPH MITHROS's right leg! (+59 Damage)

SERAPH MITHROS seizes the initiative and moves to strike!
SERAPH MITHROS charges uncontrollably to and fro.
SERAPH MITHROS moves off a riposte and strikes with his PRIMEVAL KNUCKLE DUSTER OF THE BLOOD GOD.
SERAPH MITHROS is aiming at BLOODY LADY's leading leg.
SERAPH MITHROS lands a strike on BLOODY LADY's shoulder creating crippling wounds! (+162 Damage)

BLOODY LADY wills herself to regain the initiative!
BLOODY LADY tries to attack from the ground.
BLOODY LADY makes a clumsy attack with her ANCIENT SABER OF THE BLOOD GODS.
BLOODY LADY's ANCIENT SABER OF THE BLOOD GODS is intercepted with a well placed block.

BLOODY LADY tries to attack from the ground.
BLOODY LADY attempts to cripple SERAPH MITHROS.
An unimpressive injury occurs on SERAPH MITHROS's forearm. (+24 Damage)

R O U N D 4
BLOODY LADY can't find an opening to stand!
Open wounds continue to bleed on BLOODY LADY's body!!!
Open wounds continue to bleed on SERAPH MITHROS's body!!!
SERAPH MITHROS is no longer affected by Strength of the Crowd

SERAPH MITHROS sees an opportunity to strike.
SERAPH MITHROS moves off a block and attacks with his ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS.
A massive wound is opened on BLOODY LADY's foot! (+175 Damage)

>> BLOODY LADY SWITCHES TO STRATEGY 5
BLOODY LADY has a lot of wounds on her body!!

BLOODY LADY presses through her opponent’s defenses!
BLOODY LADY's timing is off, but she attacks with her ANCIENT SABER OF THE BLOOD GODS anyway.
BLOODY LADY is aiming at SERAPH MITHROS's trailing leg.
Small slash to SERAPH MITHROS's inner thigh removes several curly hairs. (+25 Damage)

SERAPH MITHROS makes a decisive move to attack!
SERAPH MITHROS makes a poorly timed attack with his ANCIENT TRIDENT OF THE BLOOD GODS.
BLOODY LADY's armour protects her from the attack!

BLOODY LADY bursts out aggressively to take control of the match!
BLOODY LADY closes on SERAPH MITHROS and seeks to slice her opponent.
BLOODY LADY's ANCIENT SABER OF THE BLOOD GODS connects with SERAPH MITHROS's upper calf inflicting freakish injuries! (+94 Damage)

SERAPH MITHROS can't take much more of this beating!!!

BLOODY LADY howls as her finishing blow is intercepted by the Enforcer!
The victor is showered in cheers!
The fight lasted 37 seconds!

Adoede
03-07-2015, 07:26 PM
And I am a fan of the customized entrance texts for each glad :)