PDA

View Full Version : Defensive War Armor Question

dragosphere
05-18-2014, 03:51 AM
Ok so I have a slave with these stats

Strength:69 Intellect: 69 Agility: 69 Stamina: 72 Size: 82 Presence: 58 Chi:69

So he is supposed to be a defensive war glad with axe/mace and a shield. The only problem is what armor should he use? Should all of his armor be heavy armor or should I substitute some for medium/light armor?

Dainoji
05-19-2014, 10:58 PM
There is no straight answer. It depends on your build and vision for the glad. Some defensive glads use lighter armor some use heavy, same applies to offensive war glads as well. If you want to be a tank and run the opponent out of steam heavy armor is a good bet. Scout some of the top defensive war glads in primus and blood gods to see what they are doing. Whatever you choose be careful of your encumbrance.

oedi
05-20-2014, 12:47 AM
Should all of his armor be heavy armor or should I substitute some for medium/light armor?
Early on light armor works well, stack up on stamina gear regardless of of what type of armor it is. Later on youll need more heavy armor.
One other thing is very important for your defensive glad and thats to swing atleast every second round, while still being defensive and conserving endurance. You dont really need to hit anything ;) so anything that looks like an attack will do the trick.

ahroun
07-06-2014, 04:00 PM
im not the best player but with 72 size i should use light or medium armor un low brackets because in this brackets defensive strategies are a bit useless. Then, when you reach higher brackets you should replace step by step the armor for heavier pieces.
With 72 size i should go for 6 wheight helmet (i think helmet is very important because it is not too heavy but defends good against knockout), 41,1 torso and two 9.2 arms armor because ar not too heavy but gives a good amount of defense. A heavy shield of course and two legs of 18.3 you should be watching your encumbrance %. i like to play at max with 60-65%. If youre leveling "light as a feather" maybe you can change some pieces of your armor for other heavier. Also if you like the heavy armor and you wanna get a heavier set i recomend you to use the achievements who gives +2 size and then change it for the +5 in only one slot. i did this and my glads are doing good
as i said im not too old player, if someone reads this message and have sugestions i gladly accept them
good luck in the pit

Kreegan
07-07-2014, 12:35 AM
72 Size will not allow you to wear many pieces of heavy armour without becoming very heavily encumbered. The very minimum for a War in heavy armour who wants to perform decently in the upper brackets would be around 75-80 for Primus and over 85 for Blood Gods. If you want a War build for the end game, you should retire this one whenever possible and buy a big premium slave.

Encumbrance level above 60% is... a lot and will hit your initiative quite badly. You can partially mitigate that by using light main hand weapons (knives, rapiers) but you should expect to get hit quite a few times before your turn comes. Also, attempts to switch between tanking and another more active strategy when under heavy load usually result in getting a beating from the crowd because most of the opponents will have much higher initiative than you. You will burn plenty of endurance as well. One should aim at something lower than 55%, preferably under 50% even if this means using some medium pieces (on the legs for instance). Light as a Feather is a must if you want to act... ever, even though it does next to nothing as far as the knockdowns are concerned.

The heavy helms are probably the only pieces of heavy armour which aren't increasing your load drastically. They don't protect from knockouts any more than the medium helmets though.

oedi
07-07-2014, 04:49 AM
1122 performs i would say at a decent level as a tank that mainly focus on reducing opponent to 0 endurance, with his 79 size and 58 encumbrance. When i use full set of achievements i use the 10 size. He wears a full set of heavy and a large shield & rapier.