PDA

View Full Version : Blood Gods Season 5 Winner: Arrrrrghpirate from Stable Sotc!

Nate
01-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Please join me in congratulating Arrrrrghpirate from Stable Sotc for winning the Blood Gods Season 5 Tournament with a record of 822 - 86 - 29!

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Pit Lord
01-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Grats again! Interesting how many consecutive wins will we see :).

Prinny
01-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Gratz on yet another #1 spot, to be honest I've given up on getting to first place unless Arrrrrgh drops to an 80% or so winrate but I don't see that happening soon :p
Let's see what Belca does with twin hammers for the first couple of weeks though ;)

Kreegan
01-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Arrrgh is quite beatable, however most of the builds in Blood Games are pathetic against speed Theatrics by design (the rock-scissor-paper thing).

Prinny
01-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Oh I agree on that completely Kreegan, the better batch of my glads have all beaten him more than just once or twice. As soon as hamstring doesn't hit it's target the odds of winning rise massively :p
But exactly because the most builds in blood gods are like this it isn't of much use to try right now with the best choice being just trying to make your gladiator an all-round badass :cool:

Just took a good look at the new format, kindof disapointed that I am spread out over all 5 patron gods, no cheering for 1 or 2 anymore for me so I guess I'll treat this season like before the patron gods were introduced :(

Sotc
01-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I noticed that too Prinny. I guess Nate gave up on the same stable under the same Patron God idea.

Dainoji
01-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Congrats Sotc!

kindof disapointed that I am spread out over all 5 patron gods
Aren't you the one who said you liked fighting you own glads and were unhappy when they all got put on the same team in the first place?

I guess Nate gave up on the same stable under the same Patron God idea.
Do you blame him after all the crying and whining from last season? I sure don't. There are 75 glads and 5 teams and it looks like each team got 15 gladiators each with a mix of good and bad glads. Let's see what we can complain about this time around! :)

Prinny
01-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Oh I don't mind fighting my own glads Dain not at all, I rather like that part! :D
It's just that this way the Patron Blood gods are kindof redundant to me since I am spread out over all 5 of them :)

Kreegan
01-08-2014, 10:08 PM
How successful the redistribution is will be shown in 1-2 weeks, however the current Blood Gods formula is to have the "all-around badass" that Pinny mentions in order to ensure that your fighter will get a place among the top spots and that disqualifies many builds in the bracket which just lose against their counter-builds nearly all the time. So trying to develop something which hits fast and bypasses armour seems to be the safest bet right now, it's the closest thing to kill-'em-all that we have with the current mechanics.

oedi
01-08-2014, 10:38 PM
I guess Nate gave up on the same stable under the same Patron God idea.
A sound idea, implemented in a stupid way. Whats the point of teams when your part of all of them? The good solutions would`ve been to take away the teams entirerly.

Let's see what we can complain about this time around!
thats easy, the once cool idea of team competition has been reduced to a silly random bgp generator. I and I guess most others will have a few glads getting points and the bulk will not. I`m sorry but I cant feel anything but indifference to the whole team concept atm.

Dainoji
01-09-2014, 04:30 AM
A sound idea, implemented in a stupid way. Whats the point of teams when your part of all of them? The good solutions would`ve been to take away the teams entirerly.

Yeah, stupid if stupid means not done exactly as you would like it to be done. And no, taking them away instead of doing it like you want would not be the "good solution". It would've been your preferred solution. I happen to think the patron god teams are still very cool.

thats easy, the once cool idea of team competition has been reduced to a silly random bgp generator. I and I guess most others will have a few glads getting points and the bulk will not. I`m sorry but I cant feel anything but indifference to the whole team concept atm.

I'm not even sure what this means "silly random bgp generator". With similar numbers and a good mix of glads on each team it is possible each week could see a different champ and tighter competition.

oedi
01-09-2014, 06:25 AM
It would've been your preferred solution. I happen to think the patron god teams are still very cool.
Nope thats not right at all, my preferred solution would`ve been the way it was in the first patron god season, and yes patron god teams are still a good idea. A good idea dont go bad, just because its not used well.

With similar numbers and a good mix of glads on each team it is possible each week could see a different champ and tighter competition.
yea sure that could be true, but I for one wont care who wins since I anyway will have some glads with bonus points. And I think that will be true for most of the managers.

Prinny
01-09-2014, 06:33 AM
yea sure that could be true, but I for one wont care who wins since I anyway will have some glads with bonus points. And I think that will be true for most of the managers.

Yup that's the problem I have with this seasons setup. Let's face it though, the last 3 weeks are the only weeks with any sort of real impact on the bgp scores as those are 800, 1600 and 3200 points and unlike the first patron god season where a patron god had to keep ranking high in order to get higher bonus bgp each time it simply increases per week now. Hence my only motivation of even wanting to reach the top spot with a patron god for me would be in those last weeks of the season.

Dainoji
01-09-2014, 07:25 AM
my preferred solution would`ve been the way it was in the first patron god season

Your preferred solution isn't practical. You manage 20 or more glads in blood gods and during that season many complained at the lack of variety in their opponents so that idea has already been tried. A clan system would be awesome, and Nate said he'd like to implement one eventually. I sympathize with Nate because I've been in charge of activities before that required grouping people into teams for competition and you never make everyone happy and it almost always ends up unfair to someone.

If memory serves me right we've tried:

3 teams where players' glads were on the same team and there were complaints.

5 teams where stables' glads were on the same team and there were complaints.

5 teams where stables' glads are not on the same team and there are complaints.

There seems to be a pattern here. :p

I agree it would be fun to have team play like clans or guilds but until that day try and enjoy the toys you have right now instead of thinking about the ones you don't. The patron god teams add a little spice like salt to a stew. It isn't meant to be the main course. Blood Gods is still very much a 1v1 environment.

oedi
01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Your preferred solution isn't practical.
I know that, and thats why I think the best solution for the time being is to take patron gods out, and re introduce it at a time when we can make our own teams. Teams where the members will make a real effort doing their best as a team.

Narol
01-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I agree with Oedi and Prinny, having your glads spread over all patron gods removes all interest to the team system as far as I am concerned.

The system in last season was not perfect but made more sense and I would prefer that we go back to it next season, especially now that the domination of Sotc's team seems less absolute as more and more glads in the other teams get well-equipped in orange items...

Kreegan
01-09-2014, 10:06 PM
The previous season's system will be better only it the "winner takes all" thing is revised. The last time, from 8 weeks of fighting the leading team was challenged only once, no fun if your gladiators are assigned to some of the loser gods and have no chance to win something. Something like this will be better:

Week 1 end: 1st team takes 100% BGP
Week 1 end: 2nd team takes 50% BGP
Week 1 end: 3rd team takes 25% BGP

Week 2 end: if the first team has maintained leadership since the last week, it takes 100% + X BGP.
Week 2 end: 2nd team takes 50% BGP
Week 2 end: 3rd team takes 25% BGP

... and so on.

Narol
01-10-2014, 02:09 AM
Good point, Kreegan, the "winner takes all" really advantages the teams that are already at the top and makes even more difficult for younger teams to catch on..

A simpler system that the one you propose would be to give 50 % of the week BGP bonus to first team, 30% to second team and 20% to third team, so that all teams still have a reachable goal to fight for !

Anyway, I sympathize with Nate, balancing Seasons is really a headache and whatever his future choices about it there will always be some trainers unhappy.

PS : Btw, congrats again Sotc, I almost forgot !

Alba Kebab
01-11-2014, 04:27 AM
Or we can simply try everything, then vote on which we prefer best in practice. :D

So far, last season's setting was fine for me and better than all the previous versions, we'll see if this season's setting feels any better at the end.

And congrats to Sotc.

Dainoji
01-13-2014, 03:41 AM
So far this is the closest competition I've seen in the team standings, I like this. :)

oedi
01-13-2014, 06:22 AM
So far this is the closest competition I've seen in the team standings
So what if the teams are evenly matched, theres still no excitement. No matter who win or loose, I will have 4 glads with bonus points and 16 glads with none.(I guess it will be roughly like that, just didnt bother to check who`s on which team):p

Alba Kebab
01-13-2014, 10:28 PM
I have only 4 glads and none of them is on the winning team, booo.