PDA

View Full Version : New Update 11/18/2013: Blood Gods Team Rankings & Chamber of Power Gear Changes

Nate
11-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Greetings Pit Masters!

I'm happy to announce a few cool changes have just gone live. The first change is to the Patron Blood God Team Rankings which are now reset each week creating 8 mini-tournaments within the larger 8 week season. Prizes of extra BGP for the top team at the end of each week remains the same. Had a bad week? Top team seems impossible to catch? No problem, next week starts off fresh!

The way the team rankings are calculated are now identical to how individual gladiator rankings are calculated instead of weighting individual gladiators based on the number of fights they have done for their team. This will have the result of seeing a higher rating per team than in the past and all teammates being considered equal. In essence your team is now a "super" gladiator representing the sum total of all of its members wins, losses, kills and deaths. Almost like those animations where all the little robots come together to form the super awesome fun amazing bad ass giant robot of ultimate power to defeat the strange mutant monster of the week! Except it's gladiators forming an abstract construct in a make believe world meant to represent...er...never mind, I'm sure you get it! :)

The last change is to the rating requirements for the Chamber of Power's Legendary gear. Rating requirements have been lowered: Weapons are now set at 2000 and 1000 for armour.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Pit Lord
11-19-2013, 07:51 AM
Both changes are nice Nate. Thank you!

Dainoji
11-19-2013, 06:23 PM
I also give this a +1! Thanks Nate!

Sotc
11-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Good stuff!

oedi
11-20-2013, 10:13 AM
5 factions and weekly competions for the bonus bgp good stuff :)
The new rating tresholds looks to easy, why would anyone except those getting in late buy purples?

I have a question. Why did you have to spread each managers teams around? I initially thought it was to not have to many teams in one faction, and to avoid to big a difference in glads in the factions. Neither seems to be an issue since we got factions with 6 teams and the difference between biggest and smallest faction is as many as 11 glads. I must admit that I loved having all my teams fighting for one patron god :)
To avoid any confusion ill let you all know that my allegiance lies with Drajaka-Zul, other glads are just on grind and i dont give them extra achievements(except for a few exceptions :))

oedi
11-26-2013, 01:37 AM
Nate I really think you need to explain why your made the factions like youve done them, I can atleast not understand the logic behind it. We got a new team in blood gods this week and you/system has put that new team in the faction with already most teams and most gladiators, why?

Pink faction are now 20 gladiators from 7 teams

Light blue faction are now 15 gladiators from 5 teams

Red faction are now 11 gladiators from 5 teams

Yellow faction are now 14 gladiators from 4 teams

Dark blue faction are now 8 gladiators from 2 teams

Prinny
11-26-2013, 02:44 AM
I would like an explanation aswell. The way the stables are scored since last week have been bugging me somehow. I can't put my finger on it but something seemed off, it might have been the team distribution that oedi pointed out :p

oedi
11-26-2013, 03:03 AM
I can't put my finger on it but something seemed off
Nate said it himself its like the regular gladiator ranking, and that favors lots of wins(kills) before w/L, so a large faction with a positive W/L will beat a smaller faction with a better W/L. A small faction can win if they get a lot better W/L.

Nate
11-26-2013, 03:41 AM
Patron Blood God teams are designed with balance as the priority. The individual gladiator ratings from last season were used to create the new teams so the end result was more or less 5 equal teams in terms of rating points earning potential. Gladiators from the same stable were placed on the same team (per the community's request) which created some very powerful teams (i.e. Drajaka-Zul) with no or very few weak links, so to compensate other teams had to make up the difference in numbers (Rylok-Zul for example with numerous weak links). The net effect is the 5 teams stay competitive because they are more evenly matched which is desirable and ultimately more interesting and fun in the long run. Gladiators promoted to Blood Gods from Primus are placed on the same team as their stablemates and if they are the first of their stable to enter Blood Gods they are placed on the last place team for the week as that team needs the extra points the most to stay competitive.

Blood Gods is not a closed system tournament with a fixed number of combatants (that is the Blood Games), Blood Gods is an open system tournament that has to take into account new arrivals, gladiators retiring and balance. Straight w/l ratio is not the sole factor in the Blood Gods because it is an open system tournament. A gladiator with 1 fight and 1 win would have a 100% w/l ratio. Thus, number of fights and w/l ratio are used along with kills and deaths to create a final rating. The frequent change in team rankings throughout the week is evidence the system is working well keeping all 5 teams more or less in the running which at the end of the day is more fun and exciting for everyone. While a team stacked with awesome gladiators winning day after day and week after week would be fun for 1 or 2 people, it would be very boring for the rest of the players.

Patron Blood God teams is really a meta game addition until the player base grows large enough to where it can self assemble guilds/clans with multiple relatively powerful factions that can compete with one another and then at that point perhaps a grizzly hands off killer tournament can be added. But first conquests gets implemented! ;)

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

oedi
11-26-2013, 04:08 AM
if they are the first of their stable to enter Blood Gods they are placed on the last place team for the week as that team needs the extra points the most to stay competitive.

If you think adding a new glad to a group of loosers will add to their points you do not understand your own ranking system very well. What will happen now is that all other better factions will have a new punching ball, who they most certainly will have a 90% w/l against, which in turn will boost their ranking, and the few points the new glad himself will get will be nothing in comparison. If you put that new glad on the winning team, it actually would make sense.

Nate
11-26-2013, 04:43 AM
If you think adding a new glad to a group of loosers will add to their points you do not understand your own ranking system very well. What will happen now is that all other better factions will have a new punching ball, who they most certainly will have a 90% w/l against, which in turn will boost their ranking, and the few points the new glad himself will get will be nothing in comparison. If you put that new glad on the winning team, it actually would make sense.

Actually that is not the case, however, I understand how one might come to that conclusion. The points added to last place team with the addition of the gladiator will usually be greater than the points lost by the top ranked team. It is variable because it depends on the new gladiator being added. Some do well right from the start, some don't.

Good luck in the pit!

-Nate-

Kreegan
11-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Well, why not make the new entries less likely to fight the top gladiators in Blood Gods but more orientated toward the the bottom of the bracket where they have an actual chance to win a few fights? Respectively, when they climb the ladder, they'll meet more powerful opponents more often and eventually will start facing the top dogs on regular basis. Right now the matches seem to be completely random and way too often the newly arriving "Blood God" is matched against some monsters in full orange gear where the best he/she can hope for is to get no more than 1-2 serious injuries and remain alive in the end. To ever win such a match, you need to have the exact counter-build of whatever you are fighting and even then the chances are not incredibly high. So in the end these are just free wins to those who already win a lot and hell of a beating to the rookies for a few months until they re-equip themselves.

Prinny
11-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Kreegan it isn't random it's still in a round robin format. I just verified it by going through 2 rows of full bracket fights on asatsuo and the glads he fought himself keep occuring in the same order.

Kreegan
11-26-2013, 11:13 PM
Well, even if it's not random, the fights of a top gladiator in full orange against a new entry still in his Primus gear and eventually not even fully trained are quite predictable and rarely result in a loss for the former. The bottom of the bracket (the last 15 or so) has win % ranging from 6.5% to barely above 30%. The 50% performers start somewhere in the middle of the ranking and almost all of them have spent some time in Blood Gods and have managed to equip themselves (Krom Ironfist seems to be the only partial exception). This alone says enough for the match-ups. There's certainly something that can be done to lighten the handicap on the newly entering gladiators, which will also result in more intensive competition between the top performers.

Sotc
11-27-2013, 04:00 PM
I can't figure out how the teams are being assigned or how the team ranking is calculated. Weekly winners seem to be most strongly influenced by however teams are assigned which takes the competition aspect out of it.

Nate
11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
I can't figure out how the teams are being assigned or how the team ranking is calculated. Weekly winners seem to be most strongly influenced by however teams are assigned which takes the competition aspect out of it.

I explained above how teams are assigned, however, I will explain it again since there seems to still be confusion. The last season's final ratings for each gladiator were used to create the new teams. This had the effect of creating 5 teams who's rating point earning potential was roughly equal. Since the community voiced a strong opinion to have gladiators from the same stable be on the same team this created teams with unequal numbers of gladiators. This isn't a problem in and of itself though as the teams with fewer gladiators are made up of stronger gladiators. For example a team with 10 strong gladiators can outperform a team of 25 average gladiators in regards to total rating points earned. While they will have less fights overall their w/l ratio will be higher and thus earn more rating points. The larger team of average gladiators will stay competitive even though their w/l isn't as great because they have the advantage of a larger team. It is really that simple. The smaller team get the advantage of stronger gladiators, the larger team gets the advantage of numbers.

New gladiators promoted from Primus are assigned to the same team as their stablemates if they are already present in the Blood Gods bracket. If they are the first of their stable then they are assigned to the last place team. Why? Because statistically they will help the last place team more than hurt the first place team. Putting them on the first place team would "punish" the top team for coming in first place which is not what we want to do, we want to "help" the last place team because they need it.

The above system was designed with balance in mind, it keeps all 5 teams in the running each week (assuming everyone plays their part by being active and trying to do their best each day). With the way things are setup it makes each gladiator important, each win or loss important regardless of where that gladiator is ranked. If your team has a handful of stars at the top that's great but those stragglers at the bottom are going to pull you down and they should since "team" standings are based on the entire "team" not just the star players.

Balance is the #1 priority, so the alternative is to remove the restriction of keeping gladiators from the same stable on the same team, this would allow A LOT more flexibility in assigning gladiators to teams with roughly equal numbers and equal power. As this option was not favored by the community it was not used. I'm more than happy to use this method instead. Another option is to simply remove the Patron Blood God teams. I implemented it because I thought it would add some nice flavor and was fairly simple to do. It's just a little thing with a token reward but if nobody likes it I'll remove it and we'll go back to every gladiator for himself with no team affiliations. It's a fairly simple change. If you have an opinion one way or they other you're welcome to send me a PM.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Sotc
11-27-2013, 06:27 PM
I think I understand now, thanks Nate.

Apoca1ypse
11-27-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm liking the current format. 5 gods is making things much better than when we had 3.

Prinny
12-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Ya I like it quite alot aswell apoc. Just sad to see Drajaka-Zul so low in comparison to some other like the great Tagro-Zul, one of the only two true blood gods! :p
Would be nice to have both stables on the same team but I like this format alot more compared to the old one :)

Dainoji
12-03-2013, 01:22 AM
+1 from me as well, new format is a lot of fun! Drajaka-Zul suffered last week because last I checked Oedi stopped fighting his glads after Nate explained how the teams were created. Sucks for Apoc, since he is now on his own but it is what it is. Perhaps Oedi is trying to come in last so they'll pick up some more glads. Eventually I'd like to see a draft or something (check your PMs Nate, I sent you an idea on this) but for now I can see why you automate it. The point system you used to create the teams worked good but teams with just a handful of players can get crippled if one player stops running their glads for whatever reason as evidenced by Drajaka-Zul.

oedi
12-03-2013, 05:49 AM
Oedi stopped fighting his glads after Nate explained how the teams were created.
Thats probably true, but even though im not very satisfied by how the new 5 faction system was implemented, thats minor details i easily couldve lived with.
My major concern is how you buy slaves and equipment. I sent nate an angry pm, calling his design evil, didnt get any reply :)
It hit me hard in the end of last season when i finally got the rating to buy a weapon I wanted for Lord Brutish. After almost 400 refresh without finding the weapon I wanted, the insanity of it all took me and I quit a few days later. I do not mind paying, but I need to be able to calculate about how much it will cost me to buy something. I do not like gambling very much, and this is just a big roulette table were you dont know how many numbers your playing against when you chose youre one number.
And the more you put into it the less likely your able to quit because youll always want something to show for your effort.
Bottom line is, nate designed it to work like this, I got hooked, and now I need to stop until something is changed about how it works.

Dainoji
12-03-2013, 06:04 PM
I sent nate an angry pm, calling his design evil, didnt get any reply

Nate hasn't replied to a few of my PMs recently either which is why I asked him to check them in my previous message. I doubt it has anything to do with the content of your message. He's probably just busy or away right now.

Sotc
12-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I definitely sympathize with Oedi, I've spent many, many trophies refreshing to find a particular item (shields/exotics are the worst). The fact that the trophy cost of a weapon set is so wholly dependent to the RNG is truly frustrating. If you could at least have an option to browse categories like shields/blades/2Hers etc it might make more sense from a ease of use standpoint as well as a flavor standpoint (I imagine that a blacksmith would show you a selection of his swords if you are looking to buy a blade rather than pointing you over to a barrel crammed full of hodgepodge random weapons).

Kreegan
12-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Well, what's new about this? The situation was the same when getting good purple gear was everyone's aim in Primus. You may want to equip a War and the blacksmith would keep selling light armour for more than a week (I actually brought that point once, when the Rages like Belgarad were at their peak - that finding a good gear for Rage is much easier than for War or Theatrics). Or you may be looking for something to boost some Strength/Stamina build and the Blacksmith would keep selling Presence and Chi items.

The problem, in my opinion, is not that the items get randomized too much but that certain gear is nigh useless for nearly all good builds you can think of. Why would you need tons of Chi on a piece of heavy armour? Or 10+ intellect on a leather piece? Or why does Endurance cost more than Stamina when calculating the attribute bonuses of a particular piece when Stamina increases both Health and Endurance + boosts the efficiency of some skills and even seems to reduce encumbrance? Things like that result in a large amount of useless or just marginally useful weapon/armour pieces > more clicking > more frustration. And I don't even spend trophies in the Blacksmith 99% of the time :p.

Pit Lord
12-04-2013, 12:56 AM
I definitely sympathize with Oedi, I've spent many, many trophies refreshing to find a particular item (shields/exotics are the worst).

And you don't want to know the amount of refresh to get decent slave for these items. The Mercs are just "side rolls" of getting one. I probably had enough slaves to fill two stables or more with decent gladiators until I found one. But this is the drawback of my will to run specific type of gladiator instead of just picking the first random decent slave and running whatever type of gladiator he is suitable for.

Nate
12-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Sorry Dainoji, I'm actually in the middle of moving so the past week has been full of packing boxes and organizing their transport across the city which has left little time for checking messages and the like. I'll do my best to respond later this week.

I'm afraid I don't have any messages from you Oedi, the last PM I have from you is dated the end of October. If you would like to compose another and send it I'd be happy to read it and reply when time permits.

As I mentioned I'm in the middle of moving but when things settle down I'll be happy to reply to the concerns some have raised. In the meantime...

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

oedi
12-04-2013, 11:23 AM
found an auto save resent it, im afraid I was a bit passionate when i wrote it :)

Alba Kebab
12-05-2013, 04:16 AM
I can sympathize with the guys about the refreshing through the blacksmith, but it's a normal part of the game and a certain degree of RNG is probably necessary, as long as it doesn't get too crazy I can live with it.
But really I guess I just never had the bad luck of not finding anything with 400 refreshes.:p

Why would you need tons of Chi on a piece of heavy armour? Or 10+ intellect on a leather piece?
Actually those items you mentioned are not as useless as you think. Although there are items I would never use either, but I don't want to be too adamant about it because someone might be able to find a different way of setting things up and have it work.

Kreegan
12-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Well, if someone manages to make a War who stacks Chi work well in the upper brackets, I'll take this back. At this point I can't see that happening in any realistic scenario, given the current system.

Prinny
12-06-2013, 01:59 AM
Well, if someone manages to make a War who stacks Chi work well in the upper brackets, I'll take this back. At this point I can't see that happening in any realistic scenario, given the current system.

*Cough* Asatsuo def war 158 Chi, Belca Noctircus off 2H war 164 Chi. Ranked 13th and 14th at this moment~ I would say that amount of chi can only be attained by actually stacking the stuff wouldn't you agree? :)

crow
12-06-2013, 05:54 AM
*Cough* Asatsuo def war 158 Chi, Belca Noctircus off 2H war 164 Chi. Ranked 13th and 14th at this moment~ I would say that amount of chi can only be attained by actually stacking the stuff wouldn't you agree? :)

*Cough* Erupt is sporting 151 Chi and is sitting at #8 in blood gods and is sporting 70% win ratio.

My only complaint of wars for Nate is once they hit the ground, they don't get back up. This is especially true of offensive wars. I can understand them having a bit more difficulty getting back up with the heavy armor. But spending 10-20 rounds on the ground till the fight is over is F'ing ridiculous.

Kreegan
12-06-2013, 07:26 AM

*Cough* Belca is Size 138 *cough* Strength 208. But of course the Chi is more important, I have to agree. :)

I prefer not to scout the other two, what are their stats?

Prinny
12-06-2013, 08:35 AM
That's why yòu go dunder and take light as a feather crow, that added benefit of light as a feather is the only reason i've been considering getting it back on belca :p

Kreegan I knew you would bring those two up and yes they're important attributes for him aswell, fact still stands that his chi is 164 dude, that's far above the normal average or are we going to consider an attribute only as "stacked" when it is over what...180 now? After his Strength stat Belca's Chi is the highest, 5 of his 7 equipment pieces give a total of +75 chi so saying he doesn't stack chi is quite farfetched wouldn't you agree? :)

crow
12-06-2013, 10:12 AM
I have Erupt trained to 5 in LAAF. But with having 40 points in rage skills that is all he can have.
I figure with him having 247 in strength and 113 in size that it would be good enough for him to get back up.

I'm hoping for my final design of Erupt to have 300 strength.

Prinny
12-06-2013, 12:23 PM
I have Erupt trained to 5 in LAAF. But with having 40 points in rage skills that is all he can have.
I figure with him having 247 in strength and 113 in size that it would be good enough for him to get back up.

I'm hoping for my final design of Erupt to have 300 strength.

Sounds good to me! I took Create Distance for 5 points instead of Light as a Feather because well..Block + Create Distance = 2 nullified attack chances and since he is at only 26% encumbrance due to me empathising on his size he is sitting at a mere 26% encumbrance + being a dunder means knockdown is less of an issue to him compared to most wars.
300+ Strength does sound nice but I wonder at what cost for the other attributes does it come? :)

Kreegan
12-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Kreegan I knew you would bring those two up and yes they're important attributes for him aswell, fact still stands that his chi is 164 dude, that's far above the normal average or are we going to consider an attribute only as "stacked" when it is over what...180 now? After his Strength stat Belca's Chi is the highest, 5 of his 7 equipment pieces give a total of +75 chi so saying he doesn't stack chi is quite farfetched wouldn't you agree? :)
What I'm talking about is gear pieces which give you tons of an attribute bonus which is not incredibly important for War, Rage or Theatrics. Can't find such purple at the moment (although I've certainly seen such) but here's an example:

http://imageshack.com/a/img802/4604/pcbu.png

Besides, if you want to give it a try, why not put Chi-dedicated gear on Belca so you pump up the stat to 230-250 at the expense of his ridiculous Size/Strength for example? This will make the whole thing much clearer because you currently have a battleship painted yellow and you claim that the yellow paint is pretty important for its battle performance.

As for the knockdown effect on Wars in heavy armour - I agree that it's too severe. Even with 10 points on Armour Movement and LAAF, your fighter will still stay on the ground for several rounds in most cases.

Dainoji
12-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Besides, if you want to give it a try, why not put Chi-dedicated gear on Belca so you pump up the stat to 230-250 at the expense of his ridiculous Size/Strength for example? This will make the whole thing much clearer because you currently have a battleship painted yellow and you claim that the yellow paint is pretty important for its battle performance.

The almighty, all knowing, always correct Kreegan has spoken! Who dare question his authority on such matters!? Fools! All of you! He never voices opinions! He voices facts! Undeniable, irrefutable FACTS! Can I get an AMEN!

What I'm talking about is gear pieces which give you tons of an attribute bonus which is not incredibly important for War, Rage or Theatrics.

I know this is just crazy talk by us plebs not deserving to converse in your presence, but wouldn't that just be dandy if other players actually thought what you consider to be useless gear to actually be useful? I know, I know, it is border line blasphemous to even think in a way that doesn't match your perfect wisdom but what if people actually have there own ideas on how to build a gladiator and those ideas lead to new and interesting builds and those builds use all that stupid and useless gear with attributes that make no sense? I guess they would just end up with a stupid gladiator build that makes no sense and doesn't deserve to fight in the arena because it doesn't fit into The Almighty's extraordinarily narrow idea of useful. What if that build actually worked? Oh the humanity! A new build is discovered that shouldn't work! Dogs and cats living together! It'll be a disaster!!!!!!!!! :p

Dainoji
12-06-2013, 10:13 PM
My only complaint of wars for Nate is once they hit the ground, they don't get back up. This is especially true of offensive wars. I can understand them having a bit more difficulty getting back up with the heavy armor. But spending 10-20 rounds on the ground till the fight is over is F'ing ridiculous.

Are you talking about Erupt or all your war glads? I've long suspected Trugs have a penalty to getting up due to their massive size.

Kreegan
12-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Blah-blah and so on. Arguments, sir? At least one?

Pit Lord
12-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Every gladiator has a weakness and the vulnerability to knockdown is the one that the offensive wars who go too deep in the rage carry with them. And to counter this you will have to stack size at the expense of reduced damage (no 300 str) or wear some medium pieces which will be targeted in important matches or go back in the war tree. We will never have everything and I guess this is by design.

Prinny are you sure Create Distance can stop more than one hit when it is not level 10?

crow
12-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Are you talking about Erupt or all your war glads? I've long suspected Trugs have a penalty to getting up due to their massive size.

Dain,
I am referring to all my war glads. Even the ones that have LAAF at 10 struggle to regain their feet once grounded. Erupt does tend to be the worst about it. I am a fan of the huge negative impacts of being on the ground since Nate changed the fight engine last year makes it much more realistic. But the ability to not get back up is very frustrating. I have noticed that the difference in regaining their posture in primus vs blood gods is huge. I assume it is due to the huge difference in strength and agility between the groups of glads. I just feel a trained warrior will know how to adequately get himself back in a fighting position ASAP. And being grounded 20+ rounds just does not sit well with me, especially when a sweep occurs and there is nothing you can do to avoid it.

Sotc
12-07-2013, 05:44 AM
If you do get knocked down as a war in full heavy I think the penalty should be severe; armor class is a tradeoff between deflections/less damage taken and mobility (all the benefits stated in light as a feather).

This leaves a couple options for a mobility minded warrior (a couple examples):
1. Trade heavy armor for medium pieces (this doesn't require so much of the expensive size stat, so you can pump your other attributes high).
2. Stack lots of size with your heavy pieces so your encumbrance is low (this is an expensive stat so your other attributes can't be as high)

I have noticed that wars in heavy seem to get knocked down somewhat less often than other classes; I think that the more severe crit effects (stun, knockdown, disarm) are more likely to trigger at larger damage numbers which the heavy armor keeps under control.

Edit:
Come to think of it I do notice that even with green encumbrance and lots of medium armor my war glad does often roll around on the ground for 20+rounds. Perhaps there is a class modifier? If so, I agree the class modifier should NOT be so severe. Gearing for mobility should have a more significant effect than class.

@crow: agreed about sig move sweep: little you can do to avoid it short of a lucky block/deflection/parry. It generally results in your war eating dirt for the rest of the match and losing.

Prinny
12-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Every gladiator has a weakness and the vulnerability to knockdown is the one that the offensive wars who go too deep in the rage carry with them. And to counter this you will have to stack size at the expense of reduced damage (no 300 str) or wear some medium pieces which will be targeted in important matches or go back in the war tree. We will never have everything and I guess this is by design.

Prinny are you sure Create Distance can stop more than one hit when it is not level 10?

Create distance can't stop more than one hit even at lvl 10, it just occurs more often :p
What im referring to is the Block Rating that comes from armour (and some achievements) + Create Distance which both have the same effect: Stopping an attack completely.

Create Distance is one of the few skills that I would consider viable at 5 points along with suprise ending and maybe barreling attack, signature move and war cry (if I actually would bother with those 3 skills at all)

The possibility of stopping 2 attacks completely from lets say a DW A&M rage for example could mean 2 out of 4-6 hits never get to hit the war, now lets say those 2 hits were Rampage and Adrenaline rush, see where im going? :)
Ofcourse it's only a slight possibility of triggering but it's still worth a shot especially since I have found that Called Shot at 10 which Belca had before didn't work for him nearly as well as these 5 points in iron jaw and 5 in CD

Pit Lord
12-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Create distance can't stop more than one hit even at lvl 10, it just occurs more often :p
What im referring to is the Block Rating that comes from armour (and some achievements) + Create Distance which both have the same effect: Stopping an attack completely.

Create Distance is one of the few skills that I would consider viable at 5 points along with suprise ending and maybe barreling attack, signature move and war cry (if I actually would bother with those 3 skills at all)

The possibility of stopping 2 attacks completely from lets say a DW A&M rage for example could mean 2 out of 4-6 hits never get to hit the war, now lets say those 2 hits were Rampage and Adrenaline rush, see where im going? :)
Ofcourse it's only a slight possibility of triggering but it's still worth a shot especially since I have found that Called Shot at 10 which Belca had before didn't work for him nearly as well as these 5 points in iron jaw and 5 in CD

Why you never read ;)?!

Create Distance
Chance To Train 0%
Strength
Intellect
Stamina
Rank 0/10
Activated (Defensive)
Requires War specialization.
Requires 55 skill points in previous War tiers.
A defensive move that stops the oncoming attack and has a chance of knocking the opponent far enough back that they lose an additional attack making up the lost ground.

Prinny
12-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Ah so that's what you meant by that, well I would say it's chances at lvl 5 are alot smaller than it is at 10. It's a good skill even without that though :D

Lunarion199
12-07-2013, 08:41 PM
about sig move sweep: little you can do to avoid it short of a lucky block/deflection/parry. It generally results in your war eating dirt for the rest of the match and losing.

- Maybe stacking intellect would help in getting up when prone? ref: http://forum.pitofwar.com/showthread.php?392-Game-Update!&highlight=attribute
- In addition luck too may probably have some effect in getting the glad up.. http://forum.pitofwar.com/showthread.php?399-Tip-of-the-Week!&highlight=week
- The fight strategy "I am on ground" may also come in picture. If the glad is parrying when on ground or at low activity or if the opponent is highly active not giving him an opening to stand, then maybe he may not tend to get up quickly.
All these collectively may make a difference more to the wars?

Regards

Kreegan
12-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Attempting to parry or tank while on the ground ensures that your fighter will not get back up until the end of the fight. There seems to be an additional modifier which increases the chance (or just does nothing to help to) to get on your feet if you are using offensive styles and respectively decreases it for defensive ones. Of course, tanking while on the ground is a no-brainer but if you try it, you'll notice how badly it backfires.

As for Intellect - I have 113 on one of my Wars in heavy armour and he still stays on the ground for 5+ rounds in most of the fights where he gets knocked down. Intellect is expensive and getting it above 120 is difficult if you want your other stats to be good too so you can't stack it like Strength or Chi.

Alba Kebab
12-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I think the heavy penalty for wars on the ground is fine. It's the one trade-off you make when you decide to stick a strength-maxing un-agile muscle slab into 3 layers of metal plating.
Spending 10-20 rounds rolling in the dirt may seem funny, but do bear in mind the other guy is TRYING TO KEEP YOU DOWN too. :p

I've seen fights won by glads rolling on the ground too, so I don't see a big deal. ;)

ADD: Oh, agility is more important than intellect for getting your ass off the ground, afaik.

Kreegan
12-09-2013, 09:19 PM
The huge penalty to initiative that the heavy armour gives is punishing enough, no need for extra "bonuses" like knockdown for several rounds. For Wars, this effect is much worse than a stun.

Alba Kebab
12-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Well, you can always not wear heavy armor if you REALLY REALLY feel it has more penalties than advantages. ;)

Prinny
12-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Actually the speciality also seems to factor in. When trying to have belca hit 3 times with his hammers instead of 2-3 I switched him to full light armour whilst keeping his stats near the same lvl. His encumbrance decreased from 46% to 8% (or something along those lines :p) yes third attacks occured no more than they did in full heavy~

Sotc
12-11-2013, 03:18 PM
By that token, has anyone seen a glad increase its # of attacks with more agility? I have only seen activity level affect # of attacks.

Kreegan
12-11-2013, 10:24 PM
I've seen some effect on fast one-handed weapons but nothing on the heavy tools.

Pit Lord
12-11-2013, 10:28 PM
According to agility description it increases the number of attacks. Probably there is some cap of numbers of attacks and when you reach it additional stacking doesn't help get additional attacks. On the other hand when increasing a stat which is less than 100 the changes are significant. As example with 60-70 presence the gladiator seems to die too often but with 90-100 it is significantly less. Increasing agility from 65 to 95 will change the number of attacks but from 265 to 295 I think it won't :). The diminishing returns probably start once you are above 100 and they may be increased above 200 or whatever number it is. We can only guess.

Sotc
12-12-2013, 06:55 PM
So I finally had a bit of time to run the numbers at around 7PM 12/12/13. I really hope I significantly miscalculated somewhere.

15 light blue 15285 1019/glad '1394'
15 yellow 11946 796/glad '1052'
20 purple 11169 558/glad '903'
11 red 15971 1451/glad '771'
10 dark blue 9043 904/glad '352'

Members, team color, total points accrued, avg points per glad, 'team ranking'

dark blue, red, purple, and yellow will all take an even greater hit once oedi's stables go dark. Further skewing the stats in light blue's favor.

Nate, can you explain how this 'team ranking' is fair? It looks to me like the number of glads is a pretty huge factor; the only way to reliably gain more is by coming in last. It seems rather backwards (and against the spirit of competition) to need to tank your rating in order to have a better shot at improving your team score.

Nate
12-12-2013, 08:10 PM
I encourage you to re-read my previous two posts on how the Patron Blood God Teams work as everything is explained there. A team with less gladiators will need to have a higher (sometimes much higher) w/l to compete with a team with more gladiators. Teams with less gladiators were generally given more higher performing gladiators and teams with more gladiators had mostly middle and low performing gladiators. If those higher performing gladiators aren't performing as well as they did last Season or the under performing gladiators on their team are performing worse than last season then their team standing won't be as competitive. This is entirely possible since the field of opponents is different this season. A player going inactive is an entirely different matter and can not be accounted for which is why Seasons are only two months long and reset to minimize the impact of such events. The best way to gain more points is to increase your w/l this is true for all teams and crucial for smaller teams. What's an easy way to increase your w/l? Help out the low performing gladiators on your team. Talk with their masters via chat, in-game messages, the forums, etc. Work together, be a team. The higher your w/l the more points your team will get, it is not linear.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

oedi
12-12-2013, 09:31 PM
SOTC if you read my previous post I think it was a reply to Prinny, youll see that my predictions how the ranking works was pretty accurate with number of wins being most important, but youll need a positive w/l to come in first so I still cant really see the benifit of getting young glads added to your team. It might be fair, but the whole thing looks rather backwards to me aswell.

once oedi's stables go dark
thats not gonna happen since I still frequenly log in all my teams.

Kreegan
12-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Help out the low performing gladiators on your team. Talk with their masters via chat, in-game messages, the forums, etc. Work together, be a team.Nate, what you are talking about is strategy and planning but I can't really see how it can be applied to Blood Gods. You can't pick your fights (no challenges), you will always face the same rotating opponents until new additions to the bracket arrive - which will only add a few extra fights to the same "schedule" anyway - and you will certainly lose a huge amount of battles until you re-equip your fighters, except if you have discovered some build which nobody is prepared against (and the chances for something like that are getting smaller and smaller every day). I personally like the "patron god" affinity but "fair" and "balance" have nothing to do with Blood Gods right now.

Sotc
12-13-2013, 04:18 AM
thats not gonna happen since I still frequenly log in all my teams.

Glad to hear that. I had the impression you were going inactive.

Nate
12-13-2013, 08:32 PM
As always I'm happy to entertain suggestions and alternatives if you find yourself not enjoying the current format. If the suggestion makes sense and is doable in a short period of time we'll make it happen, if it is not, then we'll put it on the shelf and come back for it at a later time. You are welcome to post your ideas on the forum or send them to me as a PM.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

crow
12-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Nate,
Personally I have enjoyed this format better than any other this game has ever had. Fight everyone except the few that are aligned with you. This gives us the truest champion this game has had. There are no avoids or excessive challenges to boost rankings. Even though I have for the most part gotten my ass handed to me in Blood Gods (except for Erupt) I have been enjoying this format. Heck the best part is after a few months we start from scratch and the old records erased. Now you can prove if you have improved or not.
I believe the balance of the different classes is fairly even. Granted I think power theatrics are struggling right now in the overall game. Also 2-hand wars are not as successful right now, especially considering there success in the past.

I have been seeing a lot of complaining, with little or no ideas for a solution. I can definitely see where this can be tricky to balance. Some managers might take a break, others might be inexperienced against top glads. Or the glads are just not ready for the blood gods, lord knows some of my boys suck right. But until I read some good ideas that are simple to implement and make sense to all, quit all the bitching and complaining. I would much rather have our developer finish up a major project such as conquests instead of revisiting something that's works but is not perfect to some. Then after some good ideas and suggestions he can make a path forward to correcting or modifying this part of the game.

Have a nice day
Crow

Kreegan
12-13-2013, 10:13 PM
There's something which I already suggested - instead of putting everyone against everyone, no matter where he/she is in the bracket, increase the chance to fight some of his/her "peers". I.e. top performers fight top performers more often while newly ascending gladiators get to fight someone from the bottom of the bracket more often. This can be based on season rating, overall points or current position, the idea is to have more "even" fights than what we currently have. There can be some fights between the top fighters and the new recruits every once in a while - this will even be a reality check how well your fighter is building up - but I don't see why someone still in his Primus gear has to fight gladiators who are greatly overpowered compared to him/her regularly, it's not like the result is unpredictable or something. From what I've seen from this game, its ideology has been steadily evolving toward providing better means for the players to compete between each other and for the most part it's doing OK in that regard - however it certainly needs some tweaking so the end game doesn't feel like a fight between gladiators who are several tiers apart - like Warlords bracket fighting Primus bracket.

Edit: another solution is to split Blood Gods into two brackets or sub-brackets. The gear unique for the bracket can be available upon entrance but obviously those who perform better will move to the upper bracket/sub-bracket while thew new entries will have an easier time with the acquisition of the new equipment and will steadily move up when they are ready and if they are good enough.

Prinny
12-14-2013, 04:42 AM
Agreed with Crow~

@ Kreegan, I can see where you are going but god please no, this results into an unfair overall ranking. It is indeed unfair for them to go up against orange wearing glads but this "unfairness" has always been part of the game, have you ever seen a glad that wasn't wearing purples on the throne back in the days of Primus? There may have been 1 or 2 that got into the top 10 but that just proves they're either that good or were (ab)using the challenge/avoid system.

I would say the problem doesn't lie with the blood gods bracket but with how new gladiators get into the bracket and afterwards aren't able to get out. Take Penn for example, the poor glad has 7 wins and 120 losses. Im willing to bet those records can't be fun for the manager of the stable especially if the glad could perform well on primus lvl. I have some that perform bad aswell like Gurren Lagann but instead of selling him (like I should) I've probably revised his build and strategy atleast 5-6 times by now, I'm just going to wait patiently for Nate to take a look at the low winrate performances and will keep revising his strats and build till I get something that works in the current bracket.

Also it isn't like it's warlord vs primus bracket and you know it, it's more like Primus vs Maximus. Most of the glads that enter blood gods will have their build (nearly) complete if not they just did so well in primus with their unfinished build that they got the privilege to go up to the next bracket. The wall that every glad encounters multiple times throughout the game (Juggernauts, Elite and so on, you know what im talking about :p) simply repeats itself. The thing that sucks the most is the requirements to get points in the bracket, if you take a good look at them it says this:
* In order to receive any points at all a gladiator must initiate at least 20 fights.
* If a gladiator has initiated at least 20 fights, they then must win at least 30 fights to receive full points. Gladiators failing to win 30 fights will receive less BGP than they otherwise would have.
These rules were placed in order so inactive gladiators don't get points or get half of them, I've suffered from them firsthand a while ago whilst on vacation :)
Problem with this was my underperforming glads couldn't or barely could get to 30 wins each week which ment they only got half the points they normally would've gotten and this problem is currently repeating itself. So ontop of losing alot of fights and not being able to gain access to the currently low rating cost orange equipment (1k for armour and 2K for weapons) they could only get a few pieces of blood gods purple gear aswell which doesn't add up to their performance.

To sum it up there are only 2 real problems:
#1 ~ Gladiators that enter the bracket can't get out, an effective way to counter this would be that a gladiator is allowed to get back to primus and stays there for the rest of the season if they have under a 30%? winrate.
#2 ~ Gladiators that don't perform well get penalized in the form of being unable to get new blood gods gear, an effective way to counter this would be to remove the atleast 30 wins rule but keep the 20 initiated fights as this rule alone is enough to counter inactive stables.

~Prinny

Sotc
12-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Work in Progress
Note: I am not going to claim that any of these ideas are perfect or that they will be easy to implement; I know all to well how a 'simple' change ends up blowing up. I have tried to split my proposals based on the complexity of the change proposed and tried to favor numbers changes rather than complex systemic changes.

Let's analyze the factors that will most strongly dictate a w/l ratio for a new entrant or any poor performing glad. Proposals will follow each analysis with the goals of 1) smoothing out the transition for new entrants to seasons or 2) making a path forward for low performing glads.

1) SKILLS:
New entrants enter the Blood Gods with anywhere from ~1k-1.5k fights. Their builds are likely not even complete yet (Not at 100 skills yet). They aren't playing with a full deck, so to speak.
New entrants are also unlikely to be Olympians yet and therefore have 9 less stats across the board than fully trained glads.
Low performing glads often have skill builds that are just not suited for the metagame. Skill swaps have long lead times while reducing the glad's performance further in the meantime. This makes them a pretty unattractive option. Nate has tried to alleviate this issue with the 200 training point prize at the end of the season.

2) ACHIEVEMENTS:
New entrants are unlikely to have unlocked good achievements yet (haven't trained stats yet, haven't done enough tavern quests yet, etc.) or pay for the extra slots to house them. Nate has alleviated this problem with some free weeks of achievement slots for new glads in the past and by adding the +200 hp bonus for becoming a Blood God.

SHORT TERM PROPOSALS:
These proposals are meant to smooth the transition from Primus to seasons.

a) Increase the minimum rating required to graduate a glad from Primus to seasons. Instead of around 340k rating maybe bump it back up to around 350k+. This will prolong the time the glads in Primus have to grow and be on more equal footing in terms of skills trained, and allow Primus to become the proving ground it used to be rather than dumping fresh 1k fight glads into the fire of seasons.

b) Increase the number of training points awarded to glads at the end of seasons. Perhaps a bump of around 400 would give managers the boost they need to make skill changes.

LONG TERM PROPOSAL:
Allow glads that have finished a season to retire if they want. This would occur on the 'dead day' between seasons. This would enable managers who have invested much time in their glad only to have it perform poorly in seasons to salvage some value out of it. Additionally it would preserve the population of Primus for at least the length of the season so that the numbers of glads won't drop suddenly mid-season and mess up team rankings.

3) STATS AND GEAR:
The gulf between the stats of a new entrant/poor performer and a BG veteran is clearly plays a huge part in their respective w/l ratio.

Considering that enhanced purples/oranges can have base stats up to 20%+/40%+ better than regular blacksmith items (not even touching on the stat boosts on the items), quicker access to better gear is essential for new entrants to not be hopelessly overwhelmed in the 'arms race'.

Nate has attempted to address this two ways:
a) Nate has steadily lowering rating requirements season to season making better gear easier to access.
b) Nate has also opened up the Gauntlet for oranges/enhanced purples. However, this takes a significant investment of trophies or a significant investment of cash (even Arrrrrgh in full oranges can take 1.5 mil to do a nightmare run, I can't imagine how painful it is for a young glad in only regular purples)

c) The third way this issue could be addressed is the way that BGP is awarded.
- The question then becomes: How do we make BGP rewards more fairly distributed yet retain their competitive nature?
- Ignoring the small chance of winning BGP in a street games dice roll, the only two sources of BGP are weekly awards on a per glad basis and weekly awards on a per team basis.

BG WEEKLY BGP REWARDS PER GLAD

Sources:
- Rating: ranges from about 1k - 2k+. If a new entrant were to meet the weekly reqs, he would make about 8k BGP all told. This is enough for an orange piece and one enhanced purple weapon or around 4 enhanced purple pieces (Assuming you paid the trophy cost).
- Wins/Week: a punishing requirement for new entrants. Getting your BGP slashed for losing isn't going to help you win more fights, it will just be a downward spiral.
- Matches initiated/week - A reasonable activity requirement.

SHORT TERM PROPOSAL: Remove the wins/week requirement as Prinny said. There is no need to further punish low performing glads.

Sotc
12-14-2013, 05:47 PM
BG TEAM WEEKLY BGP REWARDS

Before we start making suggestions regarding this subject, lets get a snapshot of the current state of the Blood Games.

Data sampled: 10AM 12/14/13

1) light blue
2) orange
3) red
4) purple
5) dark blue

1) 490/430/7 - 2365
2) 408/423/15 - 1674
3) 351/312/10 - 1488
4) 429/522/2 - 1412
5) 292/283/1 - 1033

Total number of fights
1) 920
2) 831
3) 663
4) 951
5) 575

The regression equation is
C4 = - 671 + 9.37 C1 - 3.72 C2 + 5.26 C3
R^2 is 99.9%

Let's calculate how much each team would have to improve their w/l ratio to catch up to the current front runner.

-671+9.37*w-3.72*l+5.26*k=r
w+l=total number of fights

w is your wins
l is your losses
k is your kills
r is rating of front runner

We need to keep a few variables constant because we don't have enough known equations.
Assume:
1) Same number total fights
2) Same number total kills
1) Pretty safe assumptions given that number of total fights is mainly affected by how active your team is each week and how many glads are on your team.
2) Constant kill assumption is more shaky but the k number is small compared to w and will have a much lesser effect on yield (team rating)

Win Ratio needed to catch up to front runner (have equal team rating)
1) 490/430 53.3% (front runner)
2) 462/368 55.66%
3) 416/247 62.75%
4) 501/449 52.74%
5) 395/180 68.70%

Across the Board Improvement needed to catch the front runner.
1) 53.3% + 0%
2) 49.1% + 6.56%
3) 52.9% + 9.85%
4) 45.1% + 7.64%
5) 50.8% + 17.9%

If we wanted to capture how these numbers trend over time we would need to run this analysis more times to gather enough data.
In the meantime, this will serve as a reasonable snapshot of the current state of the BG team competition.

A few comments:
- Team #5 must improve their win rating a whopping 18% across all their gladiators to have a chance of winning the weekly prize
- The smaller the team and therefore the lesser total amount of fights, the the higher the improvement requirement becomes.
- Smaller teams were selected from higher performing gladiators, the higher performing the gladiator, the more insensitive to changes the w/l ratio becomes. e.g. It is mathematically easier to raise a 20% w/l gladiator by 18% than a 70% w/l gladiator (referring to sheer number of wins required).
- Low performing glads often have structural issues that have LONG lead times to fix: inferior gear, a skill build that gets chewed up by the metagame, etc.
- Therefore the claim that a team can 'easily' raise its w/l to make the team rating more competitive is simply not true.

Provisional Conclusions:
- Let's define competitive as the chance to catch the front running team. By this definition, in a highly competitive system, the five teams would be all close to each other in team ranking and small improvements would shake up the rankings.
- Clearly this is not the case with the current system. This analysis shows that the current system does not appear to be any more competitive than the previous system used in Season 4 by being highly resistant to shake-ups in the rankings; no one had a chance of catching the front runner under that system either.
- Compounding this is the winner-take-all reward structure. Low performing/new glads on the losing teams are completely shut out of one of the two 'reliable' sources of BGP.

Here are some proposed solutions:

SHORT TERM PROPOSAL:
We can alter the reward structure - rather than winner takes all, each team gets some degree of bonus every week. Good for new entrants since they may accumulate enough to grab an extra piece of gear or two.
Example:
Team Rank Reward Schedule
1) 1.0*Weekly BGP Bonus
2) 0.67*Weekly BGP Bonus
3) 0.5*Weekly BGP Bonus
4) 0.33*Weekly BGP Bonus
5) 0.25*Weekly BGP Bonus

This way the BGP Bonus still serves as an incentive for your team to perform better since you want more BGP. But now since everyone gets some BGP it doesn't increase the gap as widely between the haves and have-nots in terms of access to BGP gear.

LONG TERM PROPOSALS:
1) We can alter the team rosters - very disruptive to do this now, new teams may be unfair again.
2) We can alter the numbers in the algorithm - subjective (you can fiddle with the coefficients but this will take time to run simulation to test out a 'fair' combo of coefficients) and may be political (i.e. smaller teams would benefit more from w/l based formulas or a smaller coefficient on weekly team wins, larger teams would favor the opposite).

Kreegan
12-14-2013, 10:59 PM
@Prinny, "getting back" to Primus is not a good way to improve one's motivation to invest in his gladiator(s), the only thing it could potentially achieve will be give him/her some time to breathe and rebuilt his/her fighter if the current build is that terrible. The thing is, before you acquire enough Blood Gods pieces, you can't be sure if your build and strategy aren't good or you're just losing because you've brought a knife to a gunfight. All of my new entries steadily improve their performance as they replace their Primus gear with the bones 'n rust that become available in Blood Gods and start winning more fights without significant strategy tweaks and usually no skill re-training. The thing is, in order to swap all the 8 pieces of gear with Blood Gods purple equivalents, you have to play around half an year (provided that you don't spend trophies in the Blacksmith) and lose a huge amount of fights during the first 2-3 months. Patience is OK but is it necessary? Right now the game forces you to lose now so you can have a chance to win later instead of providing you with the means to actually compete all the time. Back in the Primus days, a gladiator needed to reach level 50 to get access to the best gear in the game and then it was a matter of completing his/her training, both of which happened in around 1-2 months after ascending from Maximus so even though it was hardly a fair fight initially, it was much more even than what we have now in Blood Gods and you had the chance to pick up faster. Now you need maybe a full calendar year to get a mixture of BG purples and oranges if you rely on the Blacksmith only (and tons of luck or trophies in the Street Games, respectively tons of gold in the Gauntlet).

I agree, the removal of the 30 wins per week will help a lot. It needs a substitute though. I'm yet to figure out how BGPs are awarded - two of my gladiators have 30+ wins per week, however one is with 48 and the other with 35 and next week they receive nearly the same amount of BGPs (the better performer gets 5-6 more or so). What's clear is that at 30 wins you get 1k BGPs and below 30 they seem to be 800 or less. So if anything, a new system will have to take these values into account and compare them to the price of the Blood Gods gear if it is to be a good replacement of the current one.

@Sotc, nice posts. One addition though - I think the extra training points should be awarded upon entrance in the bracket and not upon the completion of the respective season. It makes no sense to have undertrained gladiators in Blood Gods, there are too many imbalances that the new entries have to face even without taking into account the difference between fully trained and still-being-trained gladiators. If your fighter manages to get past Primus top 10, then he/she certainly deserves this small boost.

Apoca1ypse
12-15-2013, 02:13 AM
There's something which I already suggested - instead of putting everyone against everyone, no matter where he/she is in the bracket, increase the chance to fight some of his/her "peers". I.e. top performers fight top performers more often while newly ascending gladiators get to fight someone from the bottom of the bracket more often. This can be based on season rating, overall points or current position, the idea is to have more "even" fights than what we currently have. There can be some fights between the top fighters and the new recruits every once in a while - this will even be a reality check how well your fighter is building up - but I don't see why someone still in his Primus gear has to fight gladiators who are greatly overpowered compared to him/her regularly, it's not like the result is unpredictable or something. From what I've seen from this game, its ideology has been steadily evolving toward providing better means for the players to compete between each other and for the most part it's doing OK in that regard - however it certainly needs some tweaking so the end game doesn't feel like a fight between gladiators who are several tiers apart - like Warlords bracket fighting Primus bracket.

This was done in the first season IIRC and stratified the standings far worse than they do now. This also occured in the old primus days. AFAIK the current system is the fairest system ever since bloodgods were introduced.

To sum it up there are only 2 real problems:
#1 ~ Gladiators that enter the bracket can't get out, an effective way to counter this would be that a gladiator is allowed to get back to primus and stays there for the rest of the season if they have under a 30%? winrate.
#2 ~ Gladiators that don't perform well get penalized in the form of being unable to get new blood gods gear, an effective way to counter this would be to remove the atleast 30 wins rule but keep the 20 initiated fights as this rule alone is enough to counter inactive stables.

~Prinny

I like these suggestions

Another short term fix may be to award newly promoted glads to the winning team of that week. The team will get the points, but also have a handicap in the form of an incomplete gladiator. at the very least it would make for a round robin of the top spot + BGP's opposed to 1 team getting tanked hard all season.

Prinny
12-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Kreegan you are completely right, getting back to primus to take a breather is exactly what I am intending to do with that proposal.
That's the benefit to it although there's also downsides.

Benefit:
Gladiators can crank up their winrate and are opted to retire their glad for a new premium slave.
Example: Gurren Lagann has an overall winrating of 45.6%. In order to retire he needs a winrate of 48.5%. His current winrate is blood gods is 35.6%. This means that he will never be able to retire as things are now, having the option of going back to primus would make this possible.

Downsides:
The gladiators that go back to primus won't be able to get bgp for new gear.
The gladiators that go back to primus might have a few bgp gear pieces on them which makes them "superior" over the other glads in primus in terms of gear.

There's likely alot more benefits and downsides to it but these 3 should be the main ones (it's early and I can't be bothered to think to much on an empty stomach :p).

Alba Kebab
12-15-2013, 04:32 AM
I generally agree with Crow's sentiment also, if we can come up with something better that isn't too complex to change, great; if not, then let's not bog Nate down when he has other things like conquest to work on.

Allowing glads to go back to primus would only be sensible if they are not allowed to use their legendary gear, otherwise it would be an unfair disadvantage to other primus glads.
One other potential problem with allowing glads back to primus would be if enough glads start going back, it may become increasingly difficult for new glads down the track to reach BG if they have to battle more and more BG returnees and unable to reach the primus throne.

Sotc's tiered rewards idea for teams sounds nice, atm I can't think of any downside to this.

@Kreegan
On the question of whether it's the gear that's making the difference or the build/strat for newcomers sucking in BG, I generally follow this rule: if your BG newbies is holding up ok against other BG newbies or getting close, then you should probably be patient and grind, if you are not just sucking vs the top guys but are having a bad time against other low rank BG newbies like yourself, then your glad is probably not gonna make it anywhere no matter what.

Which can be another potential downside to allowing BG glads to return to primus, if there are not enough other BG newbies in there with your BG newbie, it becomes very difficult to judge whether your guy is losing simply because of weaker gear or losing because his build just don't work, and it will make it very difficult to judge if it's worth going on or not when there isn't enough glads similar to you to give you an idea of your potential.

Alba Kebab
12-15-2013, 05:23 AM
Another option: Give a single chance to accept/decline entering BG or remain in Primus when you meet the requirement to move up, the choice is permanent and there is a strict time limit on how long you can wait and decide(only to accommodate real-life possibilities of player being away for 1 or 2 day etc).

If you accept the challenge, you willingly take on all the heartbreak/butthurt that might come with it, you will reach glory or die, and you can't look back.
If you refuse, you will be marked as having turn down an offer from the Gods, and you will never be able to change your mind afterwards or be given the chance again.

The Gods will offer you the chance and offer it once, either take it and don't whine, or refuse and live with the regret and maybe a mark of cowardice(maybe a compulsory negative title or something just to give a bit of lore-flavour fun).

Pit Lord
12-15-2013, 05:27 AM
The main problem with the transfer from Primus to Blood Gods is the slow gearing. The other thing is that a gladiator who waits long enough to obtain the gear is very likely to lose retirement rights.

Possible solution(s):
-Gladiators who have no soulbound orange items (equiped or in vault) receive 50% or 100% increased BGP (can't decide ;)). If the gladiator has soulbound orange item he start to recieve normal BGP;
-Gladiators need to win 10 (or 15) fights per week to receive full points;
-Gladiators who have joined Blood Gods can retire;

Now one minor suggestion. I understand that the BG Teams battles cannot be balanced (with whole stables into one team and with stables going inactive or hyperactive). It is about possible awards distribution:

1st - 400 BGP
2nd - 200 BGP
3rd - 100 BGP
4th - 50 BGP
5th - 0 BGP
and 50 BGP dice roll :)

This is the same for every week.

And one final thing: Please unlimited time gold achievements for lvl 50.