PDA

View Full Version : Economy

Jaradakar
03-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree which is why the bankers give you 30 trophies a month virtually for free.

-Nate-

The issue I have, is that sure we get 30 trophies for free per month, but if you're running x4 gladiators and they're all doing reasonable well the economy of the game ends up breaking down a bit. By this point you have every stable upgrade that requires gold. Gold is only good for fishing for new greens which in most cases will only be good for your 4th or 5th gladiator and will typically only end up costing you ~10K or 3-4 new pieces of gear.

That leaves me sitting with 10 to 15K gold most of the time after doing repairs and healing any serious wounds. Granted I will fully admit that I've spent more money on this game than I want to admit (and more than planned). So on one hand I feel like I should be rewarded for spending as much as I have and be able to coast on my now large initial investment. While you could fix this by increasing the repair costs of purples or increase the cost of healing serious injuries both those routes I feel will just punish people who have invested the most in the game (and has a good chance of scaring them away).

But that still leaves the economy of this game a little bit of a wonky place. I'm left with all this gold and no place to really spend it. With lvl 20+ blues running 20-30 trophies and lvl 20+ purples costing 30+ trophies gold has become a close to worthless commodity at high levels.

Don't get me wrong I understand Pit of War's business model is to bet against the average users patient, knowing most people won't want to wait 1 or 2 months to get a single piece of gear (and that most will end up spending money to get it sooner). It also feels like the game is more expensive than say League of Legends which uses the exact business model. Granted Pit of War I'm sure is more of niche market than LoL and therefore needs to pull in more money per player to make ends meet. of course it could be the reverse, if the game was cheaper to play you might have more people willing to drop $5 or $10 here or there. Anyway I digress...

To get back to the point at hand (the economy) why one of my previous threads suggested being able to exchange gold for a 2nd trophy per day but at a higher cost, say 5K for 1 more trophy (gaining 2 per day if you spend 5,150g). This suggestion comes from what appears to me as a lack of repetitive gold sink at the high end level of the game.

Hammock
03-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm going to throw in my 2 cents here....
I've dealt with many Micro Transaction systems.. In my opinion what makes the successful ones work so well, is that the $$ people spend really is in Micro/bite sized sizes.. it's a lot easier for someone to convense themselves to spend $1-$2 than $20+

In short I think that the game could get a lots more revenue from many bite sizes $1-$5 transactions than a few people that spend $50+ in one go...

Granted the game Admins have their stats, so they know how people purchase things... but my personal guess is that with the current cost structure that 80% of the revenue is from <4% of the players...

Nate
03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Gold in video games has always been a tricky beast to balance. That could be taken one step further to say Economies are tough to balance. :)

As the game grows and expansions are released there will be more areas to spend your gold.

As always thanks for the feedback,

-Nate-

Lunarion199
03-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I really like the way you reply in forums, Nate. While you are there I am sure the game will grow soon.
I come from the game Gladiatus where there is cutthroat competition between players and guilds - and that's why that game is a huge success. Every single day players get a lot of gold and at the end of the day they spend or invest it all. I am sure we all will witness much more in PoW in coming future:)
Thanks