PDA

View Full Version : some grumbles

Apoca1ypse
05-13-2013, 09:03 PM
well, after doing ~100 fights in the arena with bruce, I noticed some trends.

Firstly, with the current round robin, bruce would pretty much trend towards the rank of his opponents. If he was fighting top 10 glads, he'd move into top 10. soon as he started fighting lower end glads, even if he won 80% of fights, he'd drop to lower top 20. I suspect this is in part due to the rotation/order that he faces gladiators, but it explains why I see him fluctuate so greatly in the rankings. I hope that this point is moot in under 24 hours as I'm hoping the new fight system for seasons fixes this. I have more issues like how hard it is to knock someone off the top as you only face them once every 41 fights, but again, new system out tomorrow so i'll stop there...

Secondly, I am seeing more and more of what Cyn is saying about some fight effects, particularly stuns. in 42 fights where stuns occurred, 38 times the win went to the glad that that was not stunned. the 4 fights where the stunned gladiator won, they were all from late 1 round stuns. no wins went to a glad who had been stunned for 2 rounds.

To follow on from this, a very similar thing can be seen in rage vs rage matches, where whoever fires adrenalin rush first normally wins, especially if they get a swing or 2 in before the other glad gets their AR off. I saw only 1 fight where a rage won their match when only their opponent had AR go off.

This is just a general gripe, but the abundance of stacked defense gladiators is really wearing me down. even with +350 attack power and 10/10 annihilate, none of my glads can break through the defense of a stacked defense glad. the biggest PITA is stacked defense theatrics, who get the benefit of Strength of the Crowd

Speaking of SOTC, why does that skill give its effect regardless of a hit landing? I dont know the inner workings of game mechanics, but from what I gather, Create Distance and Surprise Ending are wasted when they trigger on a missed swing. Why should SOTC be different? Heck, even skills like Adrenalin Rush has to land to get the benefit. I'd love it AR gave it's benefit regardless of the swing connecting, but that's being greedy and counteractive to the point I'm trying to make.

Trugs also seem to have very little advantage in bleed resistance. I still see them reach >300 bleed vs dedicated bleeders.

Lastly (for now) what's the deal with maces outswinging blades? To clarify, why does a gladiator with 180 agility using speed 1.45 and speed 3.55 blades swing less frequently than a glad with 130 agility and speed 1.75 and 1.65 maces. (I saw this occur with multiple races for each style of glad)

Bleh, anyway, we'll see how this new ranking system goes. Maybe my gripes will be alleviated somewhat if the environment is no longer a case of "who can make the better generalist" and I feel like I can have some more control over fight outcomes. (even if the stuns and AR vs AR is still a big random factor)

Apoca1ypse
05-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Note: at the time of writing all of this, Bruce is in 3rd place in seasons, so it's not like I'm crying foul just because I lost some fights or cant move up the ladder. It's a combination of observing things today that I think are a little wrong, and of things that have been bugging me for a while (the latter being the bigger buzz kill)

Kreegan
05-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Well, I also created a thread about defensive bleeders being overly effective (tons of bleeding combined with tons of parries) but most people seem to be fine with that. Defensive Wars aren't nearly as impressive, despite the numerous skills which should boost their performance when running defensive strategies.

Cynaidh
05-14-2013, 02:47 AM
I told ya so Apoc.... had to get that in there. :)

The end game is now who gets the first stun/KD most of the time (with rage vs rage have to factor in AR too). Honestly I haven't felt my strategies have made any difference at all for awhile now. I think maybe its that the gladiator's have become too strong, last year before we had HOL slaves if you got stunned or knocked down it wasn't the end of the fight you could still come back after it (2 round stun was the only thing that was like that then and at least they where some what rare). Back before HOL slaves and the new gear changes (block, armor pen all that stuff) i think strategies meant a lot more.

On that note, i finished my last goal, the returned finished the Blood Gods with above a 70% win loss ratio and i can honestly say i am done now, the game stopped being fun for me for awhile now i have just kept going hoping it would change back to how it was before. Since i have had a problem with the next promise from Nate of changes drawing me back in I went ahead and made it more permanent this time by retiring all the glads in AB and BA Gold. If nothing else then Laharl has a shit ton of company now.

I wish you all the best of luck!

Joe

Prinny
05-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Dang shame to see you go, makes for less serious opposition seeing as most of my losses came from you but it can't be helped I guess since I do feel the same way.
Since I retired Laharl I will have 2 new playthings which should keep me going for a while till conquest is released so I will be sticking around for a while still :p
Twas fun playing with you^^

~Bob

Sotc
05-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Sorry to see you go Cyn, good luck outside of the pit!

Pit Lord
05-14-2013, 07:33 AM
I told ya so Apoc.... had to get that in there. :)

The end game is now who gets the first stun/KD most of the time (with rage vs rage have to factor in AR too). Honestly I haven't felt my strategies have made any difference at all for awhile now. I think maybe its that the gladiator's have become too strong, last year before we had HOL slaves if you got stunned or knocked down it wasn't the end of the fight you could still come back after it (2 round stun was the only thing that was like that then and at least they where some what rare). Back before HOL slaves and the new gear changes (block, armor pen all that stuff) i think strategies meant a lot more.

On that note, i finished my last goal, the returned finished the Blood Gods with above a 70% win loss ratio and i can honestly say i am done now, the game stopped being fun for me for awhile now i have just kept going hoping it would change back to how it was before. Since i have had a problem with the next promise from Nate of changes drawing me back in I went ahead and made it more permanent this time by retiring all the glads in AB and BA Gold. If nothing else then Laharl has a shit ton of company now.

Joe

I feel lucky to have the honor of meeting your gladiators as opponents in the arena. Damn you can't go like that with just a post. Such event deserves a separate thread.

Nate
05-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Take care Cyn, the Great Realm shall honor your name. :)

Good luck outside the Pit!

-Nate-

Apoca1ypse
05-14-2013, 10:13 AM

Joe

I dont think juiced glads are too much of an issue. I do feel that the current fight engine (bar stuns) is nicer than the old one, at least from the perspective of running rage glads.

As for your break, I've been expecting it for a while, but it still sucks that it's become a reality. I'll miss you mate, and I'll be mad if you dont come back once conquests are released :P

crow
05-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Take a break, and hopefully see you soon. If not Then Vios con Dios amigo.