PDA

View Full Version : Well...

Cynaidh
04-13-2013, 08:54 AM
I am going back on break from the Pits, I find the current game in the Blood Gods to just be extremely aggravating even with the changes from this week. All playing this game is doing at this point is making me angry every time i do arena fights. 5 wins in a row and maybe get 15 points, then 1 loss to a 1st round KO hit and loose 26 points, I don't know how that is enjoyable for anyone. I just can't see spending the amount of money I do on this game to play it just to be aggravated, my blood pressure just can't handle this crap for lack of a better term.

Bottom line for me is I don't think that any ELO or MMR system will ever work in the Pits. These systems are meant to measure player skill. In chess its your chess skill, in WoW, LoL, EQ2 its your pvp skills, you directly control every single move your character makes and your skill is what determines your rating. In the pits we have some amount of control over our glads with strategies, but once your to the end game and everyone is in max gear, where most of use are using very similar strategies, and player skill really isn't what decides fights anymore.

Nate summed it up in a PM to me:

If two near identical gladiators fight each other and both are using the same strategy (which many rage gladiators do) then I would expect crit effects and skills to make the difference in who wins the fight.

Crit effects and skills procing will make the difference, both things that are completely based on a random number generator and completely out of our control. In a fight if your knocked down and you aren't lucky and get up before you taken any damage.... you've lost. If you get chain stunned with either a 2 round stun or multiple 1 round stuns... you've lost. If your block ability proc's 5 or more times in a fight.... you've won (ha! mixed it up there). These are just some examples there are many many more that are completely random number generator based that will cause you to loose.

Most fights at the high end aren't determined by player skill they are decided by which glad got the luckier rolls with the random number generator and got a key knockdown, 2 round stun, AR skill proc on first swing of the fight, or something similar. In the old system it didn't really matter as much, a single lose to any of these would equal a win and you'd continue on. But now a loss like this wipes out up to 20 wins worth of points if your at the top. It's just a game breaking flaw to me.

Anyways I've been up on my soap box for the past month arguing for change. I am now off it.

If anyone wants my email to stay in touch or maybe to get together in other games just shoot me a PM, I'll check these forums for awhile i am sure.

Dainoji
04-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Enjoy your break Cyn, it'll give the rest of us a chance to be #1 now! ;) I'll be sure to send my trainer around your stable to prevent your glads from getting fat and lazy!

Sotc
04-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Take care Cyn, thanks for all your help these past few months!

Prinny
04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Well saw this coming for a while, thx for giving us a shot at the top cyn your glads were the main ones I lost to :p
Enjoy your break and hope to see ya back soon :D

Stormcloak
04-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm still hoping to run into some of your glads when I get up to the top :)
Enjoy your break and hopefully you find yourself coming back because you want to.
Thanks for all your contributions on the forum - I've learned a lot from you!

Nate
04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Take care Cyn, as always your gladiators will be ready to battle on a moments notice when you're ready again! I'm sure I speak for most when I say we look forward to your return. :)

Good luck outside the Pit!

-Nate-

Alba Kebab
04-14-2013, 11:39 PM
He'll be back, we all know it. :p

Have fun Cyn and looking forward to when you return.(hopefully not too soon so we all have a breather chance for a while:p)

Pit Lord
04-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Don't get pissed at not being able to obtain the 1700+ items :D. The only reason is the current lack of gladiators in BG. The season is working fine. The RNG is part of the game. Imagine you know how every fight will finish before it even started - it will be boring. And don't forget to log from time to time to collect BG points just in case you come back :D.

Narol
04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Be well and enjoy your break, my friend.

Apoca1ypse
04-16-2013, 08:06 PM
take it easy dude. hope to see ya back soon :)

Cynaidh
04-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Well i am already kinda back :) that lasted all of 6 days, I am planning on just doing more casual play, i do miss reading the fights, i think the might be more enjoyable if i am not pushing the top, so instead of stopping totally after thinking about it some am just going to let my guys run with gold only achievements, no auto repair/heal and see how they do, and as Pit Lord pointed out build up BGP points so that when there is something worth shooting for they will be ready.

HipsterD
04-19-2013, 08:37 AM
So much for my plan of moving up the ranks:)

Welcome back;)

Cynaidh
04-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Nope upper ranks are all yours Hipster, i am going to shoot for somewhere around 15th-30th for my guys. :)

Sotc
04-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Welcome back Cyn!