PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Legends Idea

Aegiz
04-12-2013, 04:27 AM
In the hall of legends you can see all these retired gladiators.
Now I know people don't like to give away their tactics, but isn't it a good idea to let people inspect those gladiators to the maximum ammount.
I mean gear they had when they retired (maybe use last fight as guideline else people will just sell it and go naked) BUT also show the fight strategy that was used in most fights.
Fight strategies are hard to tweek but for new(er) players this is really nice.
I have been looking around the forums but there is no real good info on how to go with fight strategies later on.

Hope this idea gets looked at, and ofcourse discuss if you think differently or the same for that matter.

See you guys in the pit,
Aegiz.

Prinny
04-12-2013, 06:23 AM
I cna see your point however I completely disagree. Figuring out fighting strategies, builds, races and so on and making them work is the most fun of the game. Taking that away makes the game to easy and we would see to many copies of some certain types of glads. Sure those copies already exist but do you really want the pits to be flooded with 150 theatric clones of Ormgar? (he's currenly ranked #1 so no doubt he will get copied the most)

I am content with giving guidelines to players like in the beginning a strat of x activity and x bloodlust works best and with those stats you probably should make the glad a -=Insert glad type=- and discussing certain builds with other players.
But giving them complete insight in my glads? Sry but I jsut can't agree with that.

Aegiz
04-12-2013, 06:28 AM
That is true, but it might be a good idea for newer players to keep playing if they get some more insight about fight strategies.
My glads are all around level 40, and i'm still not sure about half my strategies (most of them got 65%ish win).
I quit the game a while but i'm back now and just throwing some ideas out there and seeing what people would think.
Since I really like the game but it lacks playerbase I got the feeling, or atleast there is only a limited group of people at the top.

Prinny
04-12-2013, 06:59 AM
My own glads strats tend to be very easy being between 1 and 3 strats most of the time, there's a ton I could still improve on all the glads I run and a ton that I am unsure of if it works properly or not. but unless they start doing terrible (lose half of their fights or more for over a week) I don't change a thing about them. Once they do perform so terrible I check why they are, is it because they fight the same type of glad alot? change the strategy to fit fighting those glads more or ignore it completely since they perform well against the rest of the glad types. Do they start losing against 3+ glad types? is there something I could change in their strategy/gear to make them attack/block more/make the endurance last longer or even making the fight a closer match. In some cases the build just doesn't work well and needs to be adapted.

It's all hard work but even the more satisfying (do you spell it like that lol?) when you finally get it to work. an example is Belca he's been in a huge slump and I went to work to make him attack 3 times a round instead of his 2 attacks with occasionally (once every 6 or 7 rounds) a third attack. He makes 3 attacks a fair amount of the time now but it did take quite a while before I got to that point and that is exactly one of the many charms this game has to offer~

I can see however one way managers might agree to letting others view their glads completely, add a function that can be toggled with a button to let others view their glads strats and so on in the HOL rankings, if you toggle this button other managers can choose to view the attributes-equipment-skillbuild-strategy-winrate for 1 trophy each so if you want to view all you pay 5 trophies but if you only want to view the attributes, skillbuild and strategy you only pay 3. These trophies paid go to the managers that ran the gladiators. Doing so this encourages newbies to purchase a few trophies(which is good for Nate)/save up their trophies aswell as the managers that owned the glads to make these available since they will get trophies by doing so. Obviously since the top ranked glads tend to be scouted the most Managers would also be more encouraged to train up real legends instead of cutting off at the minimum requirements ;)

On a side note, The top is really in a different league compared to the other brackets so the playstyle of your glads will likely change completely once you get there/if you want to get there ;)

Team Kaos
04-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I've always believed a scouting report should reveal fight strats and attributes, NOT build types.
I think it would also become much more difficult to clone a fighter when you have no idea outside of reading the comments on how it is built.

Dainoji
04-12-2013, 09:07 PM
My glads are all around level 40, and i'm still not sure about half my strategies (most of them got 65%ish win).

I'd say you're doing pretty good and know more than you think. As Prinny said once you hit Primus things will change as more glads will be maxed and you'll be fighting against very skilled players. If you have a question about strategies I'd just ask, there are usually enough people wiling to help that your questions will be answered. I use the pit fights a lot when trying out new strategies and then the arena. Tavern fights are too easy to get a good read.

Alba Kebab
04-14-2013, 11:32 PM
I can see however one way managers might agree to letting others view their glads completely, add a function that can be toggled with a button to let others view their glads strats and so on in the HOL rankings, if you toggle this button other managers can choose to view the attributes-equipment-skillbuild-strategy-winrate for 1 trophy each so if you want to view all you pay 5 trophies but if you only want to view the attributes, skillbuild and strategy you only pay 3. These trophies paid go to the managers that ran the gladiators. Doing so this encourages newbies to purchase a few trophies(which is good for Nate)/save up their trophies aswell as the managers that owned the glads to make these available since they will get trophies by doing so. Obviously since the top ranked glads tend to be scouted the most Managers would also be more encouraged to train up real legends instead of cutting off at the minimum requirements ;)

I like this idea, as long as the retiring managers get a choice whether they want to participate in this or not when they retire a glad. Some might love the idea of selling their retirees' strats for some trophies(me for example:p) but some would probably never want their strats to be known.

AngryVermin
04-15-2013, 04:32 AM
I agree that strats are very difficult to figure out. I have been playing for 3/4 of a year and still do not have a good idea of strategies. It is just VERY VERY difficult to even figure out how it works. It was 6 months before I correctly figured out ho to make them fire because I didnt think the order mattered. I thought if I set a glad to do this when very tired, he would - but that is WRONG. He will do that ONLY if he does not already somehow match a strat above...

Anyway, the ability to see strats would help - Perhaps, you can see strats of people 50 ranks above you ONLY. Or you see strats of people in your bracket only. That gives you something to learn each time. DITTO for complete glad setups...

I currently have one strat that seems to be working - I dunno.

I still do not know strats and that may be why I cannot make it out of Primus. I have played this game EVERY DAY (less maybe 7) for the past 3/4 of a year and I am no dummy!

HipsterD
04-15-2013, 08:01 AM
I don't think seeing strategies is a particularly good idea, and like Dainoji mentioned, you will always find someone that will lend a hand when it comes to help with just about anything. I personally think that it's fine to leave the build/gear open for view because it takes a long time to build a glad and it can be discouraging for new managers to mess up the build/buy less than great gear and have to go back and redo or sell (was even harder when the unlearn couldn't be done for skill points). Because you have a fair deal of fights a day between arena/black market (and in the beginning the tavern fights work fine as well), there is ample opportunity to experiment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...big part of the charm of the game.

Jervaj
04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
I agree with Prinny. The point in this game is finding a build and a strategy that fits well your glad and the glads he/she faces. If you make that very easy theres no point on playing.

The idea isnt completely bad but revealing the exact strategy and build seems terrible. The equipment seems ok but for the others I wuld say maybe some general and vague remarks of the strategy he tend to use or the build (like saying he was pure war, or hybrid theatrics and war, or that he had very high agility but not much inteligence), or maybe been able to see some of their combats and you have to figure out the rest from there.

I dont know exactly how it can be done but Im completely against revealing everything. That would kill the game