PDA

View Full Version : Conquests!

Nate
03-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Greetings Pit Masters!

Just wanted to let you know after putting the finishing touches on Seasons I'll be focusing on the long awaited Conquests. I have plans for mini-adventures in the beginning and eventually a single player story line. 2013 will be an awesome year for the Great Realm!

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Gameavision
03-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Holy crap, can't wait! :D

riggen
03-09-2013, 04:06 PM
I like where this is going :D

Sotc
03-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Exciting stuff! Deffo something to look forward to

crow
03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Wow, you have been busy. Who has been locking you in a room and making you write code? Whoever it is we thank them :)

I know you have said that alot of artwork and preliminary tasks have already been taken care of for the conquests. How much do you have left?

Nate
05-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Greetings Pit Masters!

Thought I'd give you all an little progress report on Conquests. There are three main components to Conquests:

1) The UI - this is mainly all the maps and effects and things of that nature. My current plan is to actually handle this last as it is really the cherry on the top and needs everything else in place. But the general idea is there will be a world map with 3 Realms of which only one is active (The Great Realm). The next Realm to open up will be The Eastern Empire which is where the Shadow & Myst gladiatorial school and its three specialties will come from. Each Realm is comprised of 10 territories, and each territory will have numerous dungeons (a dungeon can be anything from a traditional subterranean dungeon to a seaside village). The UI will deal with transitioning from each map layer and eventually moving room to room in the conquests.

2) The Backend - this is where all the heavy lifting takes place and tracks and records what is happening and talks to the DB. I'm currently working on this right now and am about 80% done. Once done I will be looking to introduce mini-quests or something like treasure maps or special contracts where gladiators get to experience a glimpse of what conquests will be like but without all the frilly extras of the map art and story lines, etc.

What we have thus far is the ability to have a "dungeon" with rooms and doors and each room can have an encounter and encounters can have loot and be comprised of one 1 or more fights, and each fight can be comprised of one or more enemies and zero or more friends (team based conquests, grouping with other managers, etc. will come later).

So for example your gladiator might get a special contract that sends him to track down a nasty villain. Upon entering the dungeon you'll be presented with some info and possible exits. If there is an encounter in the room your gladiator is trying to go into there will be a fight. If there are multiple fights in that room then your gladiator will progress to the next battle upon each win until the room is cleared at which point your gladiator will advance forward and be rewarded with any loot if it exists.

3) The Admin Tool - a UI that allows conquests to be created and modified. At first I'll be making these by hand and randomly generated. The plan is to eventually allow players to make their own dungeons and offer them up to the community to enjoy. There will have to be some quality control so perhaps until a manager has proven themselves to make quality dungeons their creations won't be live until a mod looks them over and gives them the ok. Perhaps we'll have a system where they can be up and down voted, etc. Players will be able to make dungeons, NPCs, room descriptions, etc. Things like equipment, fight Strategies for NPCs and loot will most likely be done internally to prevent mischief (i.e. offering the Sword of a 1000 truths as a prize for fighting a gimp with a terrible strategy). Possibly we'll include chained dungeons so players can build out mini-campaigns.

As always, these things will be introduced piece by piece as they become ready.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Pit Lord
05-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Sounds good :).

crow
05-20-2013, 02:10 PM
I'll be happy to mod and build a few dungeons for everyone to enjoy :)

Sotc
05-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Oh baby! Can't wait :P

Dainoji
05-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Looks awesome Nate! I used to love making dungeons. Will we get to be able to get detailed with the NPC builds and what kind of gear we want them to have? Maybe not to the level of choosing an actual weapon, but maybe a class of weapon like Axe, or 2H.

Can you expand more on what you have in mind for co-op?

Apoca1ypse
05-21-2013, 08:10 AM
This. Sounds. Amazing!

Nate, this offers far more than I was expecting. Very tantalizing stuff there.

Ahhnold is happy too as it may bring him 1 step closer to finding a totem of 2 snakes facing each other :P

Alba Kebab
05-21-2013, 09:35 AM
This is awsome, btw, do we still need more names/locations or have enough? I was meaning to think up a few more the other day, but got busy.

Mmookk
05-28-2013, 06:44 AM
I am very much looking forward to the solo/dungeon aspect of this :-)

crow
06-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Any update on how the conquest's are coming along!! Come on Nate throw us a Bone!!!! :)

Nate
06-07-2013, 01:01 AM
I'll have something for you to chew on and maybe even play with in the very near future. As I mentioned a lot of the conquest code would be shared with some other new features and those additions would be released first since they didn't have as much work involved regarding the UI. To that end Uncle Jimmy has been kind enough to create "The Gauntlet of the Underground", more tantalizing than an Everlasting Gobstopper and 29.3 times more exciting than getting your nipples pierced! Some might even say this one goes to 11! The Gauntlet of the Underground promises to draw a sell out crowd each night with all sorts of amazing spectacles!

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Dainoji
06-07-2013, 08:14 PM
29.3 times more exciting? Not 30?

Nate
06-07-2013, 11:55 PM
29.3 times more exciting? Not 30?

I got that number direct from Great Realm Pollsters, there was a +/- 0.2 margin of error though if that makes you feel better.

Nate
06-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Because you've been so patient and haven't started lighting torches and grabbing your pitchforks yet, here is a little sneak peak of The Gauntlet!

http://www.pitofwar.com/images/_Teasers/the_gauntlet_teaser.jpg

riggen
06-08-2013, 02:15 AM
How does THAT work?O_o

Sotc
06-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Whooooooooo! This looks EXCITING! :D I'm dying to know how the ally button works xD

Dainoji
06-08-2013, 11:53 PM
That does look intriguing. I too am curious about the ally button!

Alba Kebab
06-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Wonder if it means you can call on your other slaves to give you a shove?

AngryVermin
06-10-2013, 05:25 AM
I am impressed. I played old School 1st edition D&D with the guys yesterday and this sounds even better.

Nate has done a great job with the game and with game balance to date - so I expect this will be just as great!

Prinny
06-11-2013, 11:16 AM
I so hope you can have 2 of your glads fight together, would be an injury mayhem to let Yukimaru and Belca fight alongside eachother considering they don't take out their opponents on the first round :p

Nate
06-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Help your Uncle Jimmy make money and he'll return the favor!

http://www.pitofwar.com/images/_Teasers/the_gauntlet_teaser2.jpg

riggen
06-20-2013, 03:07 AM
This looks interesting, may we be enlightened, oh great Overlord? :P

Flash
06-20-2013, 07:31 AM
i canīt wait longer. i see all this awesome things and i explode when i must wait longer for these updates

Prinny
06-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Wait wait wait...wut? o.o

Alba Kebab
06-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Whut whut whut...?

Dainoji
06-21-2013, 12:35 AM
I must admit that looks fun! What's the thing in the bottom left corner?

Prinny
06-21-2013, 10:35 AM
I must admit that looks fun! What's the thing in the bottom left corner?

That's the old art for the spa Dain, you should know that :p
wonder what it does now though

Nate
06-26-2013, 02:49 AM
Greetings Pit Masters!

In the past few weeks you've been given some nice screenshots of things to come with cryptic messages. I apologize for that, Jimmy the Squid is a tough guy to work with, one minute he's your "favorite Uncle" and the next minute he's slitting your throat and tossing you into the river! At great personal risk I've managed to talk him into releasing some of the details of his new operation at considerable cost but I think it will be worth it. He hasn't divulged a lot but here is what he told me.

His newest attraction to be carried out in the underbelly of the Great Realm is called The Gauntlet of the Underground or The Gauntlet for short. Pit Masters with the stomach for blood and chance and a willingness to put on a good show need only head over to the Black Market and tell Jimmy how much of a challenge they'd like for their gladiators. The harder the challenge the better the reward. Based on the difficulty level you choose for your gladiators Jimmy will hand select gladiators from his stock of mutants and pit them against yours for the crowds delight. Sometimes it will be one vs one and sometimes the odds won't be in your favor. And since Jimmy is such a nice guy (he made me say that) he's going to allow you to choose an ally to enter The Gauntlet with you. This ally can be from your stable or from another Pit Master's stable.

The Gauntlet is a series of challenges and if you are able to battle your way to the end, Jimmy will award you with a prize. At this point you must decide if you want to keep the prize and end The Gauntlet or return the prize to Jimmy and advance to the next round where an even better prize awaits! In addition to a prize Jimmy will also award your gladiator with some "squids". Squids are Jimmy's special currency that can be used down the street at one of his game booths. With enough squids and lady luck on your side, amazing prizes await!

I've asked Jimmy when he thinks he'll be open for business and he told me he's aiming for early next month.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

crow
06-26-2013, 03:48 AM
YAY!! Maybe Jimmy will let us use retired glads to help ;) I would love to see some of my top guys teaming up with legends like Black Talon, Zmash (Any of Cyn's glads :) ). Looking forward to it. Thanks Jimmy, now lock Nate back in his room and don't let him come out till this and the Conqusts are done :)

riggen
06-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Oh uncle Jimmy, how we love ya! <3 :D

Dainoji
06-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Sounds like Jimmy is going to be the new hotness! Looks fun Nate, thanks for the hard work!

crow
07-12-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm ready to get all my current glads and hire all my retired legends and have them march over to Jimmy's place and "encourage" him to open The Gauntlet!! :)

Apoca1ypse
07-13-2013, 12:06 AM
I've managed to track down and leash my old glads and I am wondering what havoc they would cause if they were set loose on Jimmy's place. The current breed are also chomping at the bit cos they want to get there before the others :P

It's like a bunch of toddlers with a new toy really. Angry, homicidal toddlers that is.

Nate
07-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Jimmy is a very thorough guy and just like how if you rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles, if you rush a visionary entrepreneur like Jimmy you get rotten results! ;)

I've been in communication with him regularly this month and he says he's doing his best and things should be ready anytime now. ;)

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Nate
07-20-2013, 08:03 AM
Greetings Pit Masters!

We are in the home stretch for the next update. Basically tying up odds and ends, doing testing and balancing as best as possible. This update actually grew into a bit more than planned adding in a revamp to the watch list which is far more engaging and detailed and opening up Jimmy's Street Games in connection to The Gauntlet. I think you'll all be pleased. Well, most of you at least! :p

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Apoca1ypse
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Awesomesauce

Dainoji
07-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Just how long is this home stretch Nate? Is this like one of those dreams where you keep running for the door but you never reach it? :p All joking aside, take your time and get it right.

Awesomesauce

Waiter, I'll have what he's having! :)

Sotc
07-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Sounds tasty!

Nate
07-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Greetings Pit Masters! The long wait is almost over and the new update is scheduled to go live in the next 24-48 hours! It is a pretty large update and I expect the game to be offline for about an hour. I'll do my best to get it back online as quick as possible though. This update comes with a lot of new features one of which is an enhanced watch list and as a result all gladiators and teams on your current watch lists will be removed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Apoca1ypse
07-29-2013, 05:42 AM
<3

I feel sorry for the taverns that have to cope with all the gladiators flooding them all at once during the down time. While the coin will be good, I dread the repair costs :P

Apoca1ypse
07-30-2013, 12:31 AM
Well, servers are currently down, meaning that Nate is updating :)

In unrelated news, gladiators from the stable Team Win are wanted for questioning after several officers were dismembered after trying to break up a drinking contest between several high profile gladiators at the Salty Wench Tavern.

crow
08-27-2013, 07:22 PM
I spoke with Zeta II about this incident, he told me he only remembers
Drinking with ahhnold that night. He says his memory is a bit fuzzy after the first keg was floated. He did seem
To remember banging Bruce lee's girl that night though. :)

Also for Nate, have you been able to restart your work on the story driven part conquest that you were previously working on?

Apoca1ypse
08-28-2013, 02:09 AM
From what I've gathered, Ahhnold was in on that too. Bit of revenge for being on the receiving end of a 1 inch punch when he was trying to pick up some upperclass ladies

Nate
08-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Also for Nate, have you been able to restart your work on the story driven part conquest that you were previously working on?

Conquests are being worked on in parallel with other updates on the todo list. I expect to see non-story mode conquests, treasure maps, team raids, etc. to come online before the story mode. These will be more akin to a dungeon crawl, with some light story elements that may or may not eventually work their way into the story. The single player story mode will take some time to develop as I first need to distill all my notes and thoughts into a cohesive story that the players can experience and enjoy. Since the player in Pit of War is actually the Master of a stable of gladiators that is what the story will center around, not the individual gladiators. If everything I have planned comes to fruition, players will enjoy a story where their decisions shape the story and they will be involved in political intrigue, underworld activities, wars, double dealing, backstabbing, ethical and moral dilemmas and of course lots of and lots of arena battles! I envision the story mode to be released in chapters as that will allow everyone to get their hands on it earlier and also give me more time to create the following chapters. I intend to also include the current players, stables and gladiators in the story as well to make a more immersive experience as we flesh out and explore the Great Realm together.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Apoca1ypse
08-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Since the player in Pit of War is actually the Master of a stable of gladiators that is what the story will center around, not the individual gladiators.

I'm still totally going to be narrating Ahhnold's adventures in my head.... and maybe on the forums too :P

I intend to also include the current players, stables and gladiators in the story as well to make a more immersive experience as we flesh out and explore the Great Realm together.

That sounds epic!

Lunarion199
08-28-2013, 08:16 PM
players will enjoy a story where their decisions shape the story and they will be involved in political intrigue, underworld activities, wars, double dealing, backstabbing, ethical and moral dilemmas
I like this part. In every strategy game I keep looking for it. The heart of a true rpg.

Thanks Nate. Keeping a great hope from Conquests.

Nate
10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Wanted to give everyone an update on my progress with Conquests. Today I played through a very early stage conquest. It was a classic dungeon crawl full of nasty encounters, blood stained walls, trapped chests and loot! It is still rough and early stages but a lot of fun nonetheless. I can already see how this will be very enjoyable for those who choose to engage with it.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Narol
10-19-2013, 02:14 AM
Sounds exciting, as an old P'n'P D&D addict I can't already wait to go back to my crawling days !!!

Lunarion199
10-19-2013, 03:14 AM
Can't wait... Need any beta testers? :cool:

Dainoji
10-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Agree with Narol, sounds exciting!

Ahhnold
10-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Ahhnold will crush ALL who stand in his way!

Nate
10-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Did a 5 man run today and had a lot of fun! Conquests are coming together nicely! :)

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Sotc
10-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Sounds exciting! Lets see if I can get my newbie glad up to 50 first or Nate releases conquests first :P

Nate
10-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Sounds exciting! Lets see if I can get my newbie glad up to 50 first or Nate releases conquests first :P

Isn't it about time you chose an avatar for the forums? ;)

Same goes for you too Narol! :p

Lunarion199
10-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Meanwhile, may we have any sneak peaks, the way we had before releasing the new skill trees?

Nate
11-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Meanwhile, may we have any sneak peaks, the way we had before releasing the new skill trees?

Ask and you shall receive. :)

Nate
11-07-2013, 12:14 AM
I'll be releasing a sort of guide on how you can make user-generated conquests before all the tools are ready. This will allow those of you who have an interest in doing so to be able to start making them now by hand. At first we'll be making stand-alone "dungeon runs" for lack of a better term. This doesn't however mean it needs to take place in a dungeon. It could take place outdoors as well. Conquests are modular with the hopes that we can mix and match "pieces" to also create even more conquests (randomly generated conquests sort to speak) than the ones specifically created by hand. The general idea is you'll be creating "rooms" and those rooms will have a descriptions associated with them and a theme (dungeon, forest, desert, etc). You will then be creating "encounters" and those will have descriptions associated with them pre-battle and post-battle and a theme (undead, humanoid, giant, etc). Eventually we'll have the ability to chain conquests together so you can go off and almost make your own single player experience along side the official single player story mode. First things first though. I'll provide more details soon so you can get started if you have an interest in doing so. For those of you who contributed names and such in the suggestions forum I'll let you decide if you want to use your creations in your own conquests or have me do it before I use them.

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Lord Bane
11-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Will conquest award exp or only the chance for items and gold.

Nate
11-08-2013, 07:06 AM
Will conquest award exp or only the chance for items and gold.

We'll find out in the near future. ;)

Good luck in the Pit!

-Nate-

Sotc
11-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Looks excellent! I hope we can soon get those lonely 4 slots filled with conquest loot :P