PDA

View Full Version : The one thing I hate in this game...

Cynaidh
02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
...is chain challenging.

Now i am not talking about normal challenging where you are seeing if you can beat someone and it takes 2-4 tries to get a strategy down and then your winning against them and then move on to the next challenging gladiator in line. Or even just picking random people just to make the extra gold. Or even when you challenge all of a manager's glads just cause you think they are an ass and want to see what will happen if you do it.

No I am talking about when a manager has a match up that gives them a heavy stylistic advantage and then they spend ALL of their fight tokens challenging that one glad, one right after the other in a chain.

In the past I have just ignored it, I am sure some people find it fun, and maybe that's what they like to do... more power to you. I just want to say i am not ignoring it anymore, and today i chain challenged the person back, it was boring as hell honestly, it was like reading the same fight 8 times, I am not sure how anyone gets enjoyment out of it but that's just my opinion.

So bottom line, if you want to chain challenge my glads and that's what makes this game fun for you, go for it... just expected it right back at your stable from mine.

Dainoji
02-11-2013, 10:40 AM
There is a 15 minute cooldown on challenges, so unless they are waiting it out or doing it with multiple glads I don't think that is possible unless you are in the top 10. If you are talking about a glad in the top 10 I don't really see a problem with someone doing this because it's part of the package of being at the top and fighting to keep your position. Everyone is gunning for you and your spot. I think your response is appropriate though and may the best stable win! To be honest I'm not a big fan of how everyone is all peace and flowers at the top, a little sprinkling of anger and revenge will be a nice addition. An alternative solution would be to play with your strategies and see if you can find something that works well to defend against the challenges yet still kicks the crap out of everyone. Just my two cents.

Have you tried using the Avoid drop down and selecting the gladiator picking on you?

Team Kaos
02-11-2013, 10:41 AM
As always has been the case, the challenger will continue to challenge until you show that you can beat them. It's an easy win for them, so why not take it. Best way to stop it...is just what you are doing...beat them down and usually it will stop. At times it becomes a small little back and forth battle until one of the gladiators outpaces the others in the rankings...and at times that is actually pretty fun..a little rivalry of sorts.

Dainoji
02-11-2013, 10:43 AM
As always has been the case, the challenger will continue to challenge until you show that you can beat them. It's an easy win for them, so why not take it. Best way to stop it...is just what you are doing...beat them down and usually it will stop. At times it becomes a small little back and forth battle until one of the gladiators outpaces the others in the rankings...and at times that is actually pretty fun..a little rivalry of sorts.

Hear hear! +1!

Solstice vs Thunder Lips! Those were the days! :)

Cynaidh
02-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Have you tried using the Avoid drop down and selecting the gladiator picking on you?

I've always wondered about that, does that work for just your fight token your spending or does it keep working all day after you do it?

Team Kaos
02-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Ah, yes..who could ever forget The Thunder Vag vs The Golden Child...at least that what it was called over in these stables.
LOL..I think I'm gonna go dig through the Forum for some of those ramblings..that was fun

Dainoji
02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I've always wondered about that, does that work for just your fight token your spending or does it keep working all day after you do it?

That's a good question, I'm not sure. I've never had someone pick on me that I wanted to avoid! :p I know it works when you use your own token. I guess you could give a try and see what happens.

Cynaidh
02-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Hear hear! +1!

Solstice vs Thunder Lips! Those were the days! :)

I hear what you two are saying and i get it.

Like I've said before I prefer the "harder" fights of not challenging. I say harder cause you have to have your glad ready to fight anyone, i that is a tougher fight then picking who you will face, again its just what i find fun. I get that some people prefer challenging and having rivalries and all that, its just not my thing. I don't view the normal arena fights as being personal at all, hell i think of us all as being the managers sitting up in the managers box drinking beer together and sharing tips on how to manage your gladiators as the gladiators battle it out down in the pits.

Dainoji
02-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Like I've said before I prefer the "harder" fights of not challenging. I say harder cause you have to have your glad ready to fight anyone, i that is a tougher fight then picking who you will face, again its just what i find fun. I get that some people prefer challenging and having rivalries and all that, its just not my thing. I don't view the normal arena fights as being personal at all, hell i think of us all as being the managers sitting up in the managers box drinking beer together and sharing tips on how to manage your gladiators as the gladiators battle it out down in the pits.

I wouldn't want to play in an environment where it was completely hostile 24/7/365. I think it is cool we've been able to build friendships and what not and as you say sit in your vip boxes and toss back some ale while watching our glads duke it out, but it is far more exciting for me to be able to elbow you in the ribs while taking a drag on the hooka and say "Hey Cyn, isn't that <enter jackass manager's name here> piece of crap glad your boy is killing right now? Slave! Another ale for my friend here!" :D

Apoca1ypse
02-11-2013, 02:46 PM
...is chain challenging.

Now i am not talking about normal challenging where you are seeing if you can beat someone and it takes 2-4 tries to get a strategy down and then your winning against them and then move on to the next challenging gladiator in line. Or even just picking random people just to make the extra gold. Or even when you challenge all of a manager's glads just cause you think they are an ass and want to see what will happen if you do it.

No I am talking about when a manager has a match up that gives them a heavy stylistic advantage and then they spend ALL of their fight tokens challenging that one glad, one right after the other in a chain.

In the past I have just ignored it, I am sure some people find it fun, and maybe that's what they like to do... more power to you. I just want to say i am not ignoring it anymore, and today i chain challenged the person back, it was boring as hell honestly, it was like reading the same fight 8 times, I am not sure how anyone gets enjoyment out of it but that's just my opinion.

So bottom line, if you want to chain challenge my glads and that's what makes this game fun for you, go for it... just expected it right back at your stable from mine.

I'm the other party here and did it over the past couple days and it was in no way intended to be personal. My only justification is that my glad would always challenge up as high as possible, or if there was noone above, challenge the glad directly below him. Just always happens to nearly always be an AB gold or BA gold glad.

I am trying to work out how Belwraith consistently manages to get 3 swings in before Ahhnold can get in 1, when they both use a speed 1 weapon and ahhnold has a bit more agility. must be the extra str and size of belwraith that does it... /unsure.

Cynaidh
02-11-2013, 03:13 PM
I am trying to work out how Belwraith consistently manages to get 3 swings in before Ahhnold can get in 1, when they both use a speed 1 weapon and ahhnold has a bit more agility. must be the extra str and size of belwraith that does it... /unsure.

Probably the race selection, Ahhnold being a dunder and Belwraith being a sniveler (currently).

I'm the other party here and did it over the past couple days and it was in no way intended to be personal. My only justification is that my glad would always challenge up as high as possible, or if there was noone above, challenge the glad directly below him. Just always happens to nearly always be an AB gold or BA gold glad.

Ok, I can totally understand that and respect that's how you want to play, its all cool.

But I am sure you can see why I'd take it a bit personal when i log in and see this: :o

Fight 2567 — BLARG challenged BELTANK and was dragged away after the defeat.
Fight 2566 — BLARG challenged BELTANK and got sent running back to his master crying.
Fight 2563 — BLARG challenged BELTANK and was humiliated in front of the crowd.
Fight 2562 — BLARG challenged BELTANK and almost bled out while laying on the arena sands.
Fight 2561 — ARG challenged BELTANK and got slapped around the arena.
Fight 2560 — ARG challenged BLADESLINGER and claimed victory.
Fight 2558 — ARG challenged BELGARTH and sent him back to the dressing room a bloody mess.
Fight 2556 — ARG challenged BELGARTH and knocked him into next week with a pounding victory.
Fight 2555 — BRUCE IEE challenged BELGARTH and got handed an ass whoopin'.
Fight 2552 — BRUCE IEE challenged BELGARTH and earned the victory.
Fight 2550 — BRUCE IEE challenged BELGARTH and had rotten food thrown at him after the loss.
Fight 2549 — BRUCE IEE challenged BELGARTH and relished the victory.
Fight 2548 — AHHNOLD challenged BELGARTH and had rotten food thrown at him after the loss.
Fight 2546 — AHHNOLD challenged BELGARTH and almost bled out while laying on the arena sands.
Fight 2545 — AHHNOLD challenged BELGARTH and skillfully beat him in a crowd pleasing battle.
Fight 2544 — AHHNOLD challenged BELGARTH and was savagely defeated.

But i can see as how this could be in retaliation for my challenges today. And I will say the extra gold was nice. :cool:

Apoca1ypse
02-11-2013, 03:28 PM
hehe, that was all challenges aimed at whoever was #1 at that instant. net result was belgarth and beltank swapped places and my guys went down a bit. turns out that dual mace beats most of my guys hahaha :P

In hindsight, I shouldnt have done it with whatever glad i had selected at the time, and maybe put some thought into what glad I was using :P It's going to be a bit of a slog to get back up now....

and now i really want team battles.....

Edit:

Probably the race selection, Ahhnold being a dunder and Belwraith being a sniveler (currently).

ahh, I missed that. When I made Ahhnold a dunder, there were far more wars in the top end. maybe it's time to change that? damn metagame :P

Cynaidh
02-11-2013, 03:40 PM
hehe, that was all challenges aimed at whoever was #1 at that instant. net result was belgarth and beltank swapped places and my guys went down a bit. turns out that dual mace beats most of my guys hahaha :P

Belgarth hit 10 in Total Carnage day before yesterday from where i messed up his respec, he's a different glad compared to how he fought with it at 9. In fact i am expecting him to beat The Returned tonight and take over 1st in the blood games.

Ya Team battles would be fun, maybe conquests will have that (still not clear on what all conquests will be)

Apoca1ypse
02-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Belgarth hit 10 in Total Carnage day before yesterday from where i messed up his respec, he's a different glad compared to how he fought with it at 9. In fact i am expecting him to beat The Returned tonight and take over 1st in the blood games.

see what i mean about TC? lol.