PDA

View Full Version : Cap on deaths?

Jaradakar
02-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Okay so my latest fighter was rising ranks fast and doing very well. He got to the Elite bracket and was fighting people 3-4 levels higher than him.

So he gets matched up, has a bad round and gets killed. His presence is not the greatest (mid 60's with gear).

So now he's fighting with reduced stats, gets killed again. Rez

Still fighting with reduced stats, gets killed again. Rez

Still fighting with reduced stats, adjusted gear so he has more presence, but again DIES.

Wtf really? So he's died 5 times in a row now!!!! Seriously? Of course he gets very little when he dies...

Anyway maybe I just needed to vent, but this just does not seem right.

Besides the super overpriced not sure it should even be in the game stable upgrade that removes all existence of the death penalty (I think there always should be some penalty), is there anything I can do?

I've changed gear on him so that he has more presence...

IMO the design for the penalty should be changed so that the more times you die the less the death penalty time remains. That way you're still punished for dying but eventually you'll get out of the hole. Instead of what feels like continuous death (which I argue is not fun).

Arkham
02-10-2011, 08:40 AM
That does seem a bit frustrating. I don't see why the counter needs to reset for every death. Probably just an oversight.

Team Kaos
02-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Despite my loathing of doing it, try doing a down challenge as far as you can go. It may give a little relief in who matches up with.
It is also the price you pay when having a really good gladiator rise up through the ranks to fast. He gets surrounded by much more
experienced fighters with no where to hide. Up challenging to move up fast in the ranks has its downside too. And your getting a good taste of it.

Jaradakar
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Team Kaos

Dainoji
02-10-2011, 02:58 PM
I've had that happen to me, I think it was three times in a row. Just upgrade your undertaker to the highest level if it bothers you that much, it's a very small price to pay to make your entire stable immune to death sickness and remove any future frustration you are feeling now and If you have more gladiators flying through the rankings it is sure to happen again at some point. If you don't want to do that then do as Team Kaos suggested and down challenge. Start getting gear with Presence and if you are Theatrics start training in Crowd Favorite. Of course the best way to not die is to make sure you win. If you do go the route of stacking your gear with presence though you'll have to start worrying about getting yanked from the fight earlier and losing more often because of it. I'd just upgrade my undertaker and be done with it.

Jaradakar
02-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah, that upgrade is more than what I want to spend and it actually bugs me a little that it exists as I personally don't feel that you should be able to totally avoid the death penalty.

I've tried upping presence and I finally lived a 2pm fight, now if I can make it past the night fight, I'll finally be in the clear...

Dainoji
02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Once you get into the Juggernaut bracket I've found that when I lose I slip in the rankings a lot more than before and if I die it is even greater so while you may not have the attribute penalty anymore if you have the undertaker you'll still lose position and I know for a lot of managers that is a big deal. Maybe for me death isn't that big of a deal because I used to play games like this back in the day when I would walk uphill both ways in the snow barefoot to get my fight results and death was permanent so even if I die two or three times in a row now I'm happy because I can rez and fight another day!

Jaradakar
02-10-2011, 04:29 PM
So far I'm luckily that my highest ranked gladiator is theatrics, who almost never dies so it's not an issue. I know this new one it is a greater issue because his default presence is only 60, but that's not horrible, it's just not good. So it seemed unreasonable for x5 death count to toll up. But as with all games that are numbers and random factors, it could just be that I got unlucky.

Blackwill
02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
My guy Omega died 3 times in a row recently. My solution was to strip him, sell him, buy a better fighter and re-spec. It only cost me a little bit of time, and some free gold.

I've had other fighters who caught a bad break or two, and I did as has been suggested...down challenge until the sickness wears off. Pick the rube on the list with the worst win/loss record, and challenge him. Put the best guy on avoid at the same time.

I have also purchased the first level of Undertaker in two of my stables, and that helps a bit (killed a Grape Ape while suffering from The Sickness because I only lost 10% of my stats, instead of 15%).

Another option is to spend skill points raising your Presence. But, as has been mentioned, you need to be careful with this: A really high Presence can cause you to be pulled from a fight for "safety" reasons, even if you are trouncing your opponent. I've had this happen more times than I care to count. That's actually even MORE frustrating than death....

Jaradakar
02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Yes I've seen that happen. I believe the skill Grim Determination is what counter acts that if it's becoming a big issue -- granted you need to get into the 2nd tier of War to get it.

Team Kaos
02-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Maybe for me death isn't that big of a deal because I used to play games like this back in the day when I would walk uphill both ways in the snow barefoot to get my fight results and death was permanent

Oh those anxious 2 week waits turned to pure fury when you tore open the envelope to read your pride and joy was slaughtered never to fight again.

Blackwill
02-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Oh those anxious 2 week waits turned to pure fury when you tore open the envelope to read your pride and joy was slaughtered never to fight again.

And they still charged you for the turn cost......plus postage. ;)

Arkham
02-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Best days ever :)

And they still charged you for the turn cost......plus postage. ;)

Team Kaos
02-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Back to the topic though. I think there should a cap on deaths you can recieve. It's kinda silly that gladiator who gets killed over and over can just be revived.
I understand the death sickness, but maybe after 5 or 6 deaths, maybe 10.....he's dead for good.
That's a lot of dying and even in the supernatural world it's gotta take a toll crossing over so many times to a mortal body.

Are these gladiator's like "Jason" they just keep coming back?

Dainoji
02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Yes I've seen that happen. I believe the skill Grim Determination is what counter acts that if it's becoming a big issue -- granted you need to get into the 2nd tier of War to get it.

I'm pretty sure Grim Determination doesn't stop you from dying, it just lets you stay in the fight longer before getting yanked.

"If your gladiator looks to be winning the battle the Enforcer will allow him to continue fighting even if his health is such that normally he would be saved, thus increasing his chances of earning a win."

Dainoji
02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Back to the topic though. I think there should a cap on deaths you can recieve. It's kinda silly that gladiator who gets killed over and over can just be revived.
I understand the death sickness, but maybe after 5 or 6 deaths, maybe 10.....he's dead for good.
That's a lot of dying and even in the supernatural world it's gotta take a toll crossing over so many times to a mortal body.

Are these gladiator's like "Jason" they just keep coming back?

Good luck with that one, you must be an old school gamer. if you're under 30 you likely have no concept of permanent death in games. They've all grown up with save games, infinite do-overs and unlimited rezzing. Hell, games starting making special "Nightmare" modes where death was permanent for novelty sake! I agree with you though, when you know death means your guy is gone and gone forever it sure makes reading your fights more exciting! On the other hand it really sucks to lose a guy and I could see people quitting the game because of it. Times are different now and if designers stuck to the hardcore principles of the past you'd never see the revolution we are seeing in gaming these days with 15 million players in WOW or 70 million users in Farmville! I can see it now, a tornado comes in and jacks up your farm and you lose everything or your entire guild wipes on the final raid boss and all the toons are deleted from the server for failing. Not sure I'd be sticking with those games! :)

Blackwill
02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
That's exactly what would happen, too...a mass exodus. The "instant gratification generation"...those who grew up with save-points and other do-overs.... can't draw upon the experience of knowing that death is just that...death. Finality. Game friggin' OVER!!! Those of us who have had entire tribes/empires/alliances wiped off the face of the map...for GOOD...know what it's like to experience a true gaming loss, and we tend to adjust our play strategies...even today..accordingly.

For example: Call of Duty Black Ops Core vs. Hardcore...the same engine, but two totally different games, for the simple fact that in Hardcore, the bullets can actually hurt you :) Admittedly, it's still not "fatal" for your character, but the game dynamic changes completely when there is a real and tangible threat of loss (even if it's only a loss of a few extra seconds of game time while you re-spawn, or wait for the HQ to be destroyed, etc.)

That having been said, I do agree with the topic at hand. There needs to be a limit to the number of times a gladiator can be resurrected, before his immortal soul takes so much damage that he can't be brought back. Either that, or increase the cost of a resurrection, and do not let the Temple brothers offer "discounts", simply because you cannot afford the full price. Let the guy lie in the ground for a few days until the rest of the stable can come up with the funds.

Obviously, if you only have one gladiator in the stable, an auto-resurrect should be the default.

Jaradakar
02-11-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty sure Grim Determination doesn't stop you from dying, it just lets you stay in the fight longer before getting yanked.

"If your gladiator looks to be winning the battle the Enforcer will allow him to continue fighting even if his health is such that normally he would be saved, thus increasing his chances of earning a win."

I never said that Grim Determination (GD) stops you from dying. If you presence is really high or you have Crowd Pleaser (or both) than you're often saved by the enforcer before getting another attack in that would have you finished the fight with a win. I believe GD helps with that.