View Full Version : Farewell hostess

CaineDeSoulis
11-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Hostess is closing and their signature snacks are going away :(

list your favorite hostess snack :)

Snoballs were my favorite cupcake snack

Cynaidh
11-18-2012, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the same group of investors that owns it now buys it in the bankruptcy court. That gives them all the IP, factories, contracts AND nullifies all the union contracts (as it will technically be a new company) so they can rehire non-union employees at a fraction of the pay i bet. Total win win situation for the investors, total loss for the unions.

sevenseas
11-18-2012, 03:02 PM
tsk tsk...Maybe going on strike and telling your boss what to do makes him/her mad:eek: yup....too bad for that, the CEO's probably aren't affected at all either.
They get out of the union hassle....and probably gonna open a new company called Ghostess and make treats with names like: twinkles, ho-ho-ho's, and Bling-Bongs. The only ones getting the shaft would be the strikers:rolleyes: ....Sorry to any union people who don't share my point of view, i'm not trying to start shit.

sevenseas
11-18-2012, 03:23 PM
oh yeah....Twinkies were my fav....or was it Suzy-Q's:(

Dainoji
11-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Zingers were great when my body could handle them and my mind didn't know how terrible they were health wise. :D

sevenseas
11-19-2012, 02:06 AM
lol.....hostess = instant gratification, postponed health issues, and British teeth:confused:

AngryVermin
11-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Poor Newman!
http://dailyreckoning.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/2012/11/DRUS11-17-12-1.png

I prefer cupcakes myself.

They wanted to strike and have a day off. They were just given the rest of the year+ off.

It is really sad. I personally know of companies that would have averted this by simply closing that plant and opening in a new area. This just means that they didn't have the funds - and perhaps really cared about trying to keep the operations in the area that it had always been - probably a beacon for the area and one of the few employers left.

There is nothing wrong with unions in certain times, this is just not the right time. I'm sure all of us would be pretty pissed if our pensions were tossed out the window; but, this is a prime example of what happens when you don't give in - in bad times. My family and I have been blessed throughout the whole depression and I thank the good lord for that.

Now for somthing completely different....
Bashing, and smashing, and killing, and bleeding, and blasphemous blaspheming, and hunting, and killing, and bleeding, and death! (actually old Slayer lyrics that only kinda remember form my 20s.)

Nate
11-19-2012, 06:34 AM
In general unions promote mediocrity. Quite some time ago I had a friend who was a longshoreman and he used to tell me the craziest stories of the kinds of deals the unions had worked out and it blew my mind. His first day on the job he got up from the lunch bench to throw his trash away and an old timer grabbed his arm and told him to leave it so the "trash guy" would always have something to do. The "trash guy" was a senior position that paid over $100,000 per year and this was about 15 years ago.

Unions had a purpose many years ago and still do in some industries where workers are taken advantage of, but far too often they overreach and end up spoiling it intentionally or unintentially. Trying to take away or reduce people's pensions is pretty underhanded especially when you give raises and bonues to your upper brass in the same breath. Since we'll never have a true free market and a market stuffed full of unions would be a disaster I'm afraid there will always be this friction with the occational losers every so often.

Oh, and I was a huge fan of twinkies, although I couldn't tell you the last time I actually ate one. :)

AngryVermin
12-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Ok. No Joke.
I was at Kilwins Fudge Shop today in Atlantic Station, here in downtown Atlanta.

They had one box of Twinkies, like maybe 24, for sale for $950... It was $350 but was marked up to $950!!!!