View Full Version : Single hand v dual wielding

SJT
10-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi,

I see that most glads fall into one of three categories:
1) 2H weapon
2) 1H weapon + shield
3) 2 x 1H weapons

There are very few with just 1 x 1H weapon. I currently have one, who is doing pretty well to start out, and was wondering if it is better while your weapon skill is low to single wield? If so, at what point does it "switch" to be more beneficial to dual wield? Are there any top-level glads that still single wield without a shield?

Many thanks!

Kreegan
10-12-2012, 11:27 PM
An obvious advantage of the dual-wielders is the extra attributes bonuses from the off-hand weapon (+X to Strength, Intellect, Stamina, etc.). On the other hand, they're more encumbered compared to fighters that carry only a main-hand-weapon and don't seem to attack more often (I'm not sure about this though). The off-hand weapon also deals lower damage compared to the primary one, even if they are of the same type and level - say two lvl 30 Long Swords. There have been a few gladiators in Primus armed only with a main-hand weapon but probably their owners decided that their performance is sub-optimal and either armed them with an off-hand weapon or sold them.

Alba Kebab
10-13-2012, 06:52 AM
The advantage of one hand weapon is speed, they attack faster.

Blatantmoon
10-27-2012, 08:02 PM
I prefer using 1H + 1H Dual Wield, but everyone has their own choice of what works for them.

Prinny
10-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Well the main advantage for dual wielding is the fact that there is no chance that you attack with your fist (exept when you get disarmed ofcourse :D)

The second advantage would be that you can combine different speed swords. Say you wield a bastardsword and attack once maybe twice a round. give your gladiator a gladius in the off hand and he will attack 3-4 times a round. Most of these attacks will be done by the gladius with 1 or 2 coming from the bastardsword and if you get lucky even 3.

The third advantage would be as already pointed out the attribute bonus.